UNT 2017 QB Recruiting update

36 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The clock is on! Mean Green will have their QB for the 2018 class within the next three weeks. Spoke with him earlier this week. He is finishing camp schedule then committing after last camp in 2 and half weeks. Things could change. But as of yesterday he is excited about possibility for playing for Graham and Seth offense

Now to scour the interwebs to figure out who this is.

45 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The clock is on! Mean Green will have their QB for the 2018 class within the next three weeks. Spoke with him earlier this week. He is finishing camp schedule then committing after last camp in 2 and half weeks. Things could change. But as of yesterday he is excited about possibility for playing for Graham and Seth offense

What do you think will be the reaction of this board to the announcement? Excitement, good, meh, or terrible 🤔

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

What do you think will be the reaction of this board to the announcement? Excitement, good, meh, or terrible 🤔

That's right!  Unless he has multiple offers from top P5 programs like 'Bama, Ohio State, Florida, ut, TAMU, OU, etc., we don't want him.  Correction- ut is not a top P5 program.

-sarcasm-

• Upvote 6

38 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

That's right!  Unless he has multiple offers from top P5 programs like 'Bama, Ohio State, Florida, ut, TAMU, OU, etc., we don't want him.  Correction- ut is not a top P5 program.

-sarcasm-

I'm just pre-empting the "oh well we were his only choice", "oh another recruiting fail by SL", and "I would have preferred X player". Seems like there has been a lot of negativity lately on who SL and staff are choosing to offer and who commits to us.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What if P5 offers come subsequent to his commitment?

Something I was thinking about earlier. Let's say we are actually onto a rising star before others are. And this player really appreciates that and gives a very firm commitment to coming to North Texas. Schools that would prefer him go through the motions before offering, as in come to unofficial or even official visits, now might not offer because they don't see the point. This could be doubly true of our direct competitors who don't want it to appear as if they lost a recruiting competition against us. Let's just wait and see who it is and then take a serious interest in the kids fall camp and senior season.

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

So, what is your scouting report on this young man?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What if P5 offers come subsequent to his commitment?

Shouldn't matter.  He likes to state his opinion of recruits at this point of their career. Which is fine. He says they suck.  That's his final answer.  If they end up getting scholarship offers when they are  in their senior year (crazy I know) then he's stuck saying they suck.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Something I was thinking about earlier. Let's say we are actually on to a rising star before others are. And this player really appreciates that and gives a very firm commitment to coming to North Texas. Schools that would prefer him go through the motions before offering, as in come to unofficial or even official visits, now might not offer because they don't see the point. This could be doubly true of our direct competitors who don't want it to appear as if they lost a recruiting competition against us. Let's just wait and see who it is and then take a serious interest in the kids fall camp and senior season.

I've heard of UT pulling offers or saying they never offered A&M commits because they don't want to look bad.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Crazy said:

Shouldn't matter.  He likes to state his opinion of recruits at this point of their career. Which is fine. He says they suck.  That's his final answer.  If they end up getting scholarship offers when they are  in their senior year (crazy I know) then he's stuck saying they suck.

That is until they come here and become a star player. Then he will do his best to adopt him as his player 

• Upvote 3

I never said they suck. I said that it's terrifying we're offering recruits with no other FBS offers and hoping we can coach them up. That is not how you build a winning program

You wanna talk shit at least tag me in it and at least get your facts straight about what I said

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I never said they suck. I said that it's terrifying we're offering recruits with no other FBS offers and hoping we can coach them up. That is not how you build a winning program

You wanna talk shit at least tag me in it and at least get your facts straight about what I said

My apologies.  You only implied they suck for us because of no other fbs offers.

Better?

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

My apologies.  You only implied they suck for us because of no other fbs offers.

Better?

It's not even remotely concerning to you that we're signing guys who have NO FBS INTEREST besides North Texas?

when has that ever worked before?

Hint: it hasn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

It's not even remotely concerning to you that we're signing guys who have NO FBS INTEREST besides North Texas?

I'm just not as sure as you that he's peaked in scholarship offers.  I'm a realist myself, he's probably not going to get offered by multiple big fives, but I'm not going to throw out hso's like I'm worried he's probably not going to receive another fbs offer.   Or I'm sorry, imply that he won't. 

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm going with the Manvel QB,  Kason Martin as my prediction for the 2018 QB for this class..

My safe pick is Martin (#8). I would like us to get the combo of him and his RB (Deneric Prince). My reach pick is Chance Amie (#3). We have offered both so we'll just see what happens over the next few weeks. 

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

SMU's 2018 QB commit (William Brown) had exactly 1 FBS offer and that is SMU.

5 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

He is and he is very very high on that list....

Does very very high mean top 5 or top 10?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Isn't he currently committed to Kansas? Have you seen something that makes you think he'll flip? Just curious 🤔

Well I think Amie is over our head, and while I like Manvel kid I saw Tune play live and the kid is the truth.  True field general. I'm holding onto the Tune UNT connection

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Well I think Amie is over our head, and while I like Manvel kid I saw Tune play live and the kid is the truth.  True field general. I'm holding onto the Tune UNT connection

I'd love to add Amie, and he has a seriously nice offer list... I do agree I would like to add Tune as well. 

3 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I'm holding out just a little hope for Amie because maybe Tyreke is in his ear. Here's what I think the chances are from most to least likely:

1: Kason Martin

2: Clayton Tune

3: Chance Amie

I'm just waiting on @TheReal_jayD to tell us if he is top 5 or top 10 🤔

• Upvote 1