Spreading my wings(NewChapter)

If you want to be a FF now...go to Dallas...they are hiring! They will get your Texas FF certificate and Texas Paramedic certificate and pay.you at the same time. Then work 5 years and transfer to the one of the out lying cities and give yourself a $20000 pay raise. Just watch your back cause the CoD may put a knife in it in those 5 years.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

If you want to be a FF now...go to Dallas...they are hiring! They will get your Texas FF certificate and Texas Paramedic certificate and pay.you at the same time. Then work 5 years and transfer to the one of the out lying cities and give yourself a $20000 pay raise. Just watch your back cause the CoD may put a knife in it in those 5 years.

Thank you for the information!

• Upvote 1

John,

Awesome!  Always good to see young folks going into sales; that's where the money is.  In basketball and soccer, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  In sales, you miss 100% of the sales you don't ask for.  Remember that.  Don't ever let the tire kickers and "no" get you down.  You'll get a lot of that.  You'll get more of that than "yes."  Keep going.

Think of it this way, as well, because you were a defensive back.  You knew you couldn't intercept 100% of the passes the opposing QBs threw.  But, the one or two you might get by studying them and paying attention to their tendencies would mightily swing the momentum in your favor.  Study your customers to figure out how to best "pick them off" when they "pass" your way.

And, then, sometimes...you just get lucky!  Someone just walks in, knows what they want, knows they want buy it that day, and you happen to be the guy there at the time.  Those are the best sales of all!  Those are like the tipped passes that just flutter into your area. 

Being at the right place at the right time...sometimes it's planning; sometimes it's luck:  both pay the bills!    

Once our kids are out of school, we'll be in the market for an RV, for sure, too.  Hope you're still there...unless, you have your own lot by then!

Go Mean Green!  Sell! Sell! Sell!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

John,

Awesome!  Always good to see young folks going into sales; that's where the money is.  In basketball and soccer, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.  In sales, you miss 100% of the sales you don't ask for.  Remember that.  Don't ever let the tire kickers and "no" get you down.  You'll get a lot of that.  You'll get more of that than "yes."  Keep going.

Think of it this way, as well, because you were a defensive back.  You knew you couldn't intercept 100% of the passes the opposing QBs threw.  But, the one or two you might get by studying them and paying attention to their tendencies would mightily swing the momentum in your favor.  Study your customers to figure out how to best "pick them off" when they "pass" your way.

And, then, sometimes...you just get lucky!  Someone just walks in, knows what they want, knows they want buy it that day, and you happen to be the guy there at the time.  Those are the best sales of all!  Those are like the tipped passes that just flutter into your area. 

Being at the right place at the right time...sometimes it's planning; sometimes it's luck:  both pay the bills!    

Once our kids are out of school, we'll be in the market for an RV, for sure, too.  Hope you're still there...unless, you have your own lot by then!

Go Mean Green!  Sell! Sell! Sell!

Thanks for the advice!! I hope to see you come by,feel free to email me for any questions you need answered.

Thank you so much!

4 minutes ago, Marty said:

Congratulations John. Enjoyed watching you play. If I hear of anyone looking for a RV, I'll send them your way.

I sure hope so!

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

if you show your employer the dedication and enthusiasm as you did on the football field you will have great success. I enjoyed watching you on the field.  Good luck in the future.

My brother is a Lt for the Argyle FD.  He heads up the paramedics.  I am happy to put you in contact with him if you would like some advice or anything.

Then again, we always have Rick that is on here too. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, RBP79 said:

John, this is good advice. If you want to be a fireman, go take whatever exam that gets you into a fire department (Dallas, Fort Worth etc). Everyone has to take the same exam, regardless of their previous certification from a fire academy. How you do on the "entrance exam" and then the subsequent "screening process", is what really counts. My son went that route, and coincidently, he is a NT grad, and he was in corporate sales (U-Haul) before he took the FWFD test. He got his state fire certification while finishing up at the FW fire academy.

And while you're still making a living selling RV's. You might find a way to market this RV to North Texas fans for tailgating as well as travel.....

http://www.rvt.com/Winnebago-Micro-Minn-2018-Corinth-TX-ID7507307-UX96607

Maybe you could contact a local vehicle wrap business to add a more "North Texas" look to the unit......other than the green color.

• Upvote 1

I guess I should of said....

1. Take CoD civil service exam for Fire Dept...make high enough your in.......last exam normally 1000 people sign up, last one only 400

2. There are normally several former college athletes taking exam

3. CoD runs their own training academy= TX FF certificate, parmedic school UTSW (Parkland)...regardless some cities make you attend their rookie school regardless of where you got you certificate. 

As I said pay is substandard but you can quit after 5 years, maybe less, get on else where, where pay and retirement is better....good luck!

PS..IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE, YOU CAN TRUST YOUR FIRE DEPARTMENT BROTHER AND SISTERS BUT NEVER THE CITY!