Anybody Pumped for our upcoming series with University of Houston?

Andrew

• Harry featured this topic
35 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I figured fans would prefer this over the army series.

I don't dislike it, but it is a bit redundant. We already play a Houston team (Rice) on an annual basis. It will be another AAC series ESPN will dump on ESPN3 (See SMU Game Thread).

The Army series draws some national attention and should air on CBS Sports.

I'm waiting for a P5 home and home.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I am excited if this is true. Unless the Cougars take a downward spiral without Herman.

If they do then UNT better jump all over them, so we can tell these damn booster twitter trolls where to go...

also, be kinda of nice to beat up on UH after Bradley switched sides

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If accurate, we get a team with some national name recognition right away while we have a coach who, with his new contract, we should expect to field a team that will be damn competitive in the game. What was attendance last time they were here? I won't say I'm necessarily "pumped" because I'm not optimistic about winning yet, but I definitely see this as a positive addition to the schedule (given that we, as of yet, have no details of the deal). 

Regarding the favorability of this compared to the Army game - as the son of an AFA grad and brother of an Anapolis grad, you might think I have great animosity for West Point, but I really don't. I'm far more interested in Texas programs. I love the recent success of the service academies, but I have reason to follow them more closely than other people folks. I don't know if it's an age thing or what, but I know several people who are unaware that the academies have D1 football teams. I would speculate that those same people are, at the same time, aware of UH football. Which game would get a better TV broadcast? I can't say. But which team name makes folks (or maybe just folks around my age) perk up their ears? I'd say Houston.

ETA: If the noise about none of the games being at Apogee then I will join the first rabble I see headed to campus with fire and pitchforks.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UH is a great series for us. We are a lot like UH.

But Army was better.

Uh...how? The crowds will be bigger for Houston, it gives our fans a chance to travel, and if we win it helps us A LOT more in recruiting than beating Army. 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Any guesses which UNT game has the highest attendance in Apogee history and third highest of all time?

It would be nice to sell this game out to make up for not getting there on opening day of the stadium.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

10 minutes ago, xyresic said:

Any guesses which UNT game has the highest attendance in Apogee history and third highest of all time?

It would be nice to sell this game out to make up for not getting there on opening day of the stadium.

Ridiculous comment.

That game was the first game ever played in Apogee.  The fanfare had much more to do with the shiny new stadium than with the opponent we happened to be playing.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Ridiculous comment.

That game was the first game ever played in Apogee.  The fanfare had much more to do with the shiny new stadium than with the opponent we happened to be playing.

So, based on your comment, would you state that we would have drawn the same crowd by hosting Lamar, ACU, etc... just because the stadium was new and shiny?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So, based on your comment, would you state that we would have drawn the same crowd by hosting Lamar, ACU, etc... just because the stadium was new and shiny?

No.   But I bet it wouldn't have made more than a 2k difference.

And "based on [my] comment"?  Please note the word "more" (different from "everything") in my post.  I was responding to a post that omitted a very key fact in trying to make a strained point.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 4