Anybody Pumped for our upcoming series with University of Houston?

Andrew

13 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't dislike it, but it is a bit redundant. We already play a Houston team (Rice) on an annual basis. It will be another AAC series ESPN will dump on ESPN3 (See SMU Game Thread).

The Army series draws some national attention and should air on CBS Sports.

I'm waiting for a P5 home and home.

This. 

Although, Houston is (slightly) more of a draw than Rice.  Army does get more national.  Houston will peter out under Applewhite; so, it remains to be seen how it plays beyond the state of Texas...or, at least the small part of Texas that pays attention to UNT and/or Houston football.

I've got friends and relatives with degree from Houston and Rice, and some who still live down there.  So, any scheduling down there is worthwhile. 

I'll say this:  it makes a hell of a lot more sense than giving Liberty a home and home.

36 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Ridiculous comment.

That game was the first game ever played in Apogee.  The fanfare had much more to do with the shiny new stadium than with the opponent we happened to be playing.

You are probably somewhat correct.  However, there are enough Houston people in the DFW area that you have to at least admit that a Houston game would certainly draw more than Liberty.

(By the way, as an aside, Liberty was the name of my junior high school.  So, just seeing the words Liberty and football together doesn't do much for me, even knowing we are talking about a college...or, what passes for a college.)

If the future schedules website is correct, the years it looks like this will fit us and them are:

2019:  in Denton, that would give us two home OOC and two away OOC, and still leaves them space for two home OOCs that season
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/north-texas-mean-green.php

2022:  in Houston, that give them two home OOC and two away OOC, and still leaves us space for one more home OOC that season
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/houston-cougars.php

Or, any place you choose two years from 2023 onward.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have heard not one word about this series or even one game other than this very thread.  Can someone please show me where this has been mentioned by anybody else ?  (not to suggest the crackp...errr...posters on this board aren't reliable and up to date).

GO MEAN GREEN. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, ohyeah said:

Confirmed.  Two for one.

2019: Houston - TDECU stadium

2022: To be played in Arlington - Cotton Bowl Stadium

2023: Houston - TDECU stadium

Thanks for the info!

14 minutes ago, ohyeah said:

Confirmed.  Two for one.

If true, I don't know how we could ever agree to a 2-for-1 with a non-P5 school.

I sure hope we get another home game to go with SMU in 2022 as we'd have two non-home games if this is indeed the case.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I don't dislike it, but it is a bit redundant. We already play a Houston team (Rice) on an annual basis.

Best case is for the UH games to be opposite the Rice games, i.e. at UH when we have Rice at home, and vice-versa.

Living in the Houston area, obviously I like it - another "home" game for me. :)

*** Should have read the whole thread before posting. Don't think I like no home game in the deal.  A 1-1-1 would be ideal.

Edited by Stix
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, ohyeah said:

Confirmed.  Two for one.

Everyone that fell for this just got a 5 yard penalty for offsides.  

1) we are looking to add a Home game in 2019, not a road game

2) Arlington would be ATT Stadium not Cotton Bowl Stadium

3) Cotton Bowl Stadium would be in Dallas not Arlington

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Everyone that fell for this just got a 5 yard penalty for offsides.  

Agreed.  If the big news really was that we traded away an Army H/A for a Liberty H/A just to free the schedule up for a 1N/2A deal with UH... there could really have been only one reaction:

9SE5e86.jpg

Luckily I think ohyeah (a coog fan) is bamboozling us.  

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

If the future schedules website is correct, the years it looks like this will fit us and them are:

2019:  in Denton, that would give us two home OOC and two away OOC, and still leaves them space for two home OOCs that season

2022:  in Houston, that give them two home OOC and two away OOC, and still leaves us space for one more home OOC that season

I just don't see this right now.  That would give UH 2 road OOC games and no home games scheduled.  Maybe if UH already had 2 or even 1 home OOC signed, it would make more sense.  But filling up the away OOC schedule with nothing at home would limit the flexibility and bargaining position to complete the scheduling. 

Unless maybe UH is picking up Army as a home game in 2019.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I guess our definitions of "lot" differ.  There are nowhere near 1000 in that picture wearing red.

I do remember that it got pretty loud with just that many people.  Can you imagine when we actually fill it on a constant basis!!!  I think the design was meant to maximize the noise...  I hope we get there soon!!!  Like this year!!!!!  Win Baby, WIN!!!!

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

FBschedules is as correct as it can be with the information given, which means it is wrong. That is because it is kind of written between the lines, that WB is likely planning to get rid of the rest of the army series completely and will probably also ditch the 2020 and 2021 parts. In other words, enjoy the game this season, army isn't likely to return for another decade or more. But he isn't likely to say it until he has figured out with whom to replace Army. I doubt he would have mentioned the ditching of 18/19, had Liberty not wanted to tell it to their fans so badly.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

a)  I have decided that I don't believe the Houston story and, b)  if it is true, I hope the year we play UH "here" there are also 6 games at Apogee.

I don-t know that I believe it yet either, but given that they only have one OOC game in 2019 so far scheduled, Houston is as at least as likely as any other team I looked at, and I looked at a good number of potential home opponents.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1