DRC: (Updated) UNT picks up commitment from Cole Brown

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, edcollopy said:

good to see us focusing on both sides of the trenches...that is how you win long term.  With the numbers of o-linemen we've been getting, Cole should easily redshirt and fill out for a year.  I like seeing signings of kids that are first teamers in 6A districts.

AMEN!

4 hours ago, edcollopy said:

good to see us focusing on both sides of the trenches...that is how you win long term.  With the numbers of o-linemen we've been getting, Cole should easily redshirt and fill out for a year.  I like seeing signings of kids that are first teamers in 6A districts.

wouldnt be surprised to a couple of the O Lineman make the switch to the other side of the ball

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, Quoner said:

See you later, McNeese State!

And, Division II power NW Oklahoma State.  Bye-bye, Rangers! 

Honestly, though, if this is what Chuck Langston is doing with his "Oklahoma ties" in recruiting - stealing guys from NW Oklahoma State - Littrell is in for a very short career as a head coach.  And, look...I don't think there's any way Littrell doesn't have veto power on all offers, so these are every bit as much on him as they are the coaches who do the lead recruiting. 

Now...before other posters come in here and go nutso because I don't fawn all over the commitment, I'm certain he's a nice kid with a good attitude, and hope - again - that this is somehow a sleeper that "everyone else somehow overlooked because they were so dumb." I really do hope that because I've hoped that for many, many players for the better part of three decades now since enrolling at UNT and continuing to follow the football program for that long.

However, none of that changes the picture as far as us competing against FBS schools on a regular basis is concerned.  If we were an FCS school, I'd be more excited. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why make these comments on a thread about this kid committing? Way to show a recruit they are welcomed!

Right....I am happy to have him.  Our coaches would not provide him this opportunity if they did not see something in him they like.  Let the professionals do what they do....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why make these comments on a thread about this kid committing? Way to show a recruit they are welcomed!

Where would you make these comments,  start a new thread, put it in a discussion about the new track facility?  Every recruit should be welcome because they have committed to the right program and the coaching staff thinks they can help the team.  Getting a fb division is a great accomplishment.

Nothing to do with any single recruit, taking a couple of no other offer players would be fine; a lot of stars begin this way.  However, when the vast majority of recruits fit this profile, I think it is a clear signal that the program is not going where it needs to go.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Welcomed?  What does that have to do with anything?  I already said he's likely a good kid and hard worker.  Probably opens doors for ladies and children and so forth as well.

But, whether or not I welcome him will not change his talent - or, 129 other FBS coaching staff's evaluation of it - one way or the other.  His profile is no different than what we've gotten in the past:  a kid with no other FBS offers besides us. That is the point.  

We are now paying a head coach $1 million a year to hire the type of staff that steals recruits from McNeese (FCS) and NW Oklahoma State (DIvision II).

If we join the Southland Conference and are paying our head coach $250,000 a year, this is our recruit and I'm happy with it.  However, we are not in the Southland Conference, and we are paying our head coach substantially more than $250,000.  And, his recruiting results are no different than his predecessor's results.     

Okay?  Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.  This isn't rocket science.  If we don't recruit FBS-type recruits we are not going to compete well very often at the FBS level.  That isn't an opinion, that is our glaring history since our re-entry to the Big Boy field in 1995.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Welcomed?  What does that have to do with anything?  I already said he's likely a good kid and hard worker.  Probably opens doors for ladies and children and so forth as well.

But, whether or not I welcome him will not change his talent - or, 129 other FBS coaching staff's evaluation of it - one way or the other.  His profile is no different than what we've gotten in the past:  a kid with no other FBS offers besides us. That is the point.  

We are now paying a head coach $1 million a year to hire the type of staff that steals recruits from McNeese (FCS) and NW Oklahoma State (DIvision II).

If we join the Southland Conference and are paying our head coach $250,000 a year, this is our recruit and I'm happy with it.  However, we are not in the Southland Conference, and we are paying our head coach substantially more than $250,000.  And, his recruiting results are no different than his predecessor's results.     

Okay?  Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.  This isn't rocket science.  If we don't recruit FBS-type recruits we are not going to compete well very often at the FBS level.  That isn't an opinion, that is our glaring history since our re-entry to the Big Boy field in 1995.

Have you, or should I say did you go to the Caravan meetings and voice your concerns to WB and SL, and explain to them how they need to step it up, or you will bash them on social media?  I am sure that both SL and WB would have taken time to talk to you as they did for others, and that they would for sure like your advice on how to do their jobs...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Some people just want to be homers and cannot handle anyone else who doesn't carry a Mean Green pennant with them at all times. Everything you pointed out is exactly right. He's a great kid, glad he's here, and SL's staff believes in him--unfortunately, as is too often the case here, so do a lot of other FCS staffs, just not any other FBS staff.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I hear you and you make a valid point.  I will say that in the past there are kids with minimal offers who "heat up" and start getting heavy interest.  Sometimes it is smart to offer said kid knowing that he likely will get some other offers from major programs in the near future.  In the end there just aren't that many kids with these types of measurables that you can land this early.

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hear you and you make a valid point.  I will say that in the past there are kids with minimal offers who "heat up" and start getting heavy interest.  Sometimes it is smart to offer said kid knowing that he likely will get some other offers from major programs in the near future.  In the end there just aren't that many kids with these types of measurables that you can land this early.

:-)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Have you, or should I say did you go to the Caravan meetings and voice your concerns to WB and SL, and explain to them how they need to step it up, or you will bash them on social media?  I am sure that both SL and WB would have taken time to talk to you as they did for others, and that they would for sure like your advice on how to do their jobs...

First of all, I am not on any kind of social media.  No facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin.  None of it.  GoMeanGreen.com is the extent of my "social media"...and, it's not that social beyond the couple of dozen or so regular posters to it.

Second, Seth Littrell and Wren Baker ought to know that signing a roster full of kids that no other FBS schools wanted isn't going to make for a very competitive football program very often.  If they need someone to tell them face-to-face, again...they should resign today because they aren't cut out for this level.

The truth is, if you like to hear the truth, very few kids "slip through the cracks" because everyone is watching tape of some player.  A kid will show up on FBS coaches' radars if he is outstanding in almost every case.  Conroe plays schools with players college coaches are seeing on film. 

If Brown's play had caught their eye while watching those films, they'd be onto him because good OLs and DLs are hard to find. Those coaches are not onto him.  McNeese State was.  NW Oklahoma State was.  And, us.  Not, LSU, OU, and us.  McNeese State, NW Oklahoma State, and us.

If Brown rounds into a starting C-USun Belt OL within three years that'll be fine for us.  But, it's not earth shattering stuff from a staff which is being paid more than any in the past, with better facilities than almost all others in the past, and with a bowl game (albeit a gift from APR ) under its belt.

Finally, I have offered no advice.  All I've done is point out that the recruiting is at the same level it has always been.  And - this is fact, not opinion - such recruiting has led to exactly four winning seasons in the 22 that have passed since we because I-A/FBS again. 

You call it "advice," I call it looking at the history that is there:  We are getting now what we've always gotten.  If that's worth $1 million a year to you, we simply will have to say that we have different opinions on what we expect from $1 million; and, that's fine.

Go Mean Green!

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Some people just want to be homers and cannot handle anyone else who doesn't carry a Mean Green pennant with them at all times. Everything you pointed out is exactly right. He's a great kid, glad he's here, and SL's staff believes in him--unfortunately, as is too often the case here, so do a lot of other FCS staffs, just not any other FBS staff.

What the hell does thinking that a kid that commits to UNT should be shown a little respect have to do with being a "homer". It has do do with showing a little class. You don't like what the coach and AD are doing, fine, complain all you want no one is trying to stop you. However, disrespecting a recruit is BS.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

First of all, I am not on any kind of social media.  No facebook, twitter, instagram, linkedin.  None of it.  GoMeanGreen.com is the extent of my "social media"...and, it's not that social beyond the couple of dozen or so regular posters to it.

Second, Seth Littrell and Wren Baker ought to know that signing a roster full of kids that no other FBS schools wanted isn't going to make for a very competitive football program very often.  If they need someone to tell them face-to-face, again...they should resign today because they aren't cut out for this level.

The truth is, if you like to hear the truth, very few kids "slip through the cracks" because everyone is watching tape of some player.  A kid will show up on FBS coaches' radars if he is outstanding in almost every case.  Conroe plays schools with players college coaches are seeing on film. 

If Brown's play had caught their eye while watching those films, they'd be onto him because good OLs and DLs are hard to find. Those coaches are not onto him.  McNeese State was.  NW Oklahoma State was.  And, us.  Not, LSU, OU, and us.  McNeese State, NW Oklahoma State, and us.

If Brown rounds into a starting C-USun Belt OL within three years that'll be fine for us.  But, it's not earth shattering stuff from a staff which is being paid more than any in the past, with better facilities than almost all others in the past, and with a bowl game (albeit a gift from APR ) under its belt.

Finally, I have offered no advice.  All I've done is point out that the recruiting is at the same level it has always been.  And - this is fact, not opinion - such recruiting has led to exactly four winning seasons in the 22 that have passed since we because I-A/FBS again. 

You call it "advice," I call it looking at the history that is there:  We are getting now what we've always gotten.  If that's worth $1 million a year to you, we simply will have to say that we have different opinions on what we expect from $1 million; and, that's fine.

Go Mean Green!

I would like to say, let's see what this guy can do with what he has and gets before we criticize.  It is unfair to judge him by what others have done......think of all the 129 FBS schools that passed on Aaron Rogers, Baker Mayfield, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, ZACK ORR....

15 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would like to say, let's see what this guy can do with what he has and gets before we criticize.  It is unfair to judge him by what others have done......think of all the 129 FBS schools that passed on Aaron Rogers, Baker Mayfield, Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, ZACK ORR....

First off.....it is Zach

Second...he had plenty of div 1 offers

39 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I would gladly win the recruiting battles waged over Zach Orr and Baker Mayfield.   Those are legitimate wins.  Zach chose UNT.  We won.   Baker chose to walk-on at Tech.   Several other schools lost.

As for the other guys, there are a handful of examples like them.  There is a mountain the size of Everest of examples of players that don't contribute much when they only have 1 FBS offer.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This kind of logic is beyond me.  Recruiting ratings are about probabilities not certainty.  You can literally find thousands of low recruited players who turn out to be outstanding, and it just as easy to find highly recruited players that fail.  Not referring to any particular recruit, but the odds of success substantially improve the higher rated the recruit is.  These ratings are primarily based on who and how many are recruited a prospect.  I really don't understand anyone that ignores this easily proven fact. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4