DRC -- Details of Seth Littrell's new contract

Brett Vito

We have to pump the brakes in terms of record. Yes this team is in year 2, but we have to look at what we have.

Fine has not progressed, and we have no other QBs that have had any real offers. At least Morris held offers and went to a great P5 even if he didnt play. 

We lost a lot of the WR depth and yes we think it could be solid but again Guyton hasn't been on a D1 field, and smiley is our best returning WR with Rico and Wilson showing flashes. 

The OL is a huge question mark with the staff investing a lot of scholarships into from the 2017 and 2018 class with blue shirts.

Defense we a lost a lot of experience on the DL and LB corps, and DBs we lost Gray and Davis. 

On top of Keena which was a major asset for us. 

We do have hope because of the these coaches now being around for a year and having hopefully good and solid relationships, along with them bringing in the LB and Special teams coaches that seem to be good recruiters. Yes recruiting was not great this year but this staff is having to change minds about UNT. Also, with us investing in the program in terms of a IPF, etc on the sports side it will aid us because it will show players they will have support and that things will improve. 

If we regress from 5 wins this year, no one will be happy but if that gets us playing Pearson full time, with the OL developing (a few starts for guys like Newman, Moses, The LT from Segiun) and the likes of Siggers, Johnson, RICO and Wilson putting together solid flashes and the defense showing improvement vs the run then it should be viewed as somewhat of a success. 

This team is going to be very very very young

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I've thought that, too.  However, if Montgomery is hired away, the TU job is open.  Littrell's (and his wife's) family is just up the road in Muskogee.  Can't see that he'd pass up head coaching gig.  Although, OU OC makes $1.3 million to TU's HC at $1 million.

So...guess it would be a matter of whether he'd want to continue to be The Man wherever he goes.

Of course...it all hinges on the assumption that he wins here first.

I doubt that he is interested in backing off the HC track in his career right now, so I would call it unlikely he steps back into an OC role. And Tulsa isn't a likely scenario.

I like Coach Littrell.  I really do.  But no college coach should be getting this kind of money - not at UNT, not at Alabama.  Somethings wrong when a football coach is the highest paid employee on campus. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I don't get all the fuss.  The guy had a good year.  Give him a raise.  Most people in good jobs expect raises when they've had a good year.  Why should this be different?  If you have a problem with a football coach making a million/year then you are either living in a cave or jealous of the money they make.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

41 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't get all the fuss.  The guy had a good year.  Give him a raise.  Most people in good jobs expect raises when they've had a good year.  Why should this be different?  If you have a problem with a football coach making a million/year then you are either living in a cave or jealous of the money they make.

5-8 is good?

Man, our expectations are monumentally low.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

I stand by it.  It wasn't a great year.  But yes, it was a good year.  He took the worst football team any of us has ever seen and made them better than they actually were.  To the point that we made the post season.  I certainly didn't expect that before the season started based on how 2015 went.  Guess that makes me an apologist.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

I don't get all the fuss.  The guy had a good year.  Give him a raise.  Most people in good jobs expect raises when they've had a good year.  Why should this be different?  

Maybe because the raison d'etre for a university isn't football.

If you have a problem with a football coach making a million/year then you are either living in a cave or jealous of the money they make.

In my case both apply.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree that the salaries of D1 coaches is ridiculous, but let's be honest about the market.

1. Have of these universities would never be known outside of their geographic footprint without the success of their sports program(s).  Alabama, Boise State, Western Michigan, Clemson, etc... are known nationally because of their successful, whether historically or recently, football programs.  

2. The success of the programs equates to national recognition.  Are the above universities good schools?  Probably, but they receive much greater recognition due to their football programs, thus driving enrollment.

3.  If you want to hire a good coach in today's market, you better be prepared to pay.

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier, this is basically getting Coach Littrell back to the amount that was originally offered to him.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree that the salaries of D1 coaches is ridiculous, but let's be honest about the market.

1. Have of these universities would never be known outside of their geographic footprint without the success of their sports program(s).  Alabama, Boise State, Western Michigan, Clemson, etc... are known nationally because of their successful, whether historically or recently, football programs.  

2. The success of the programs equates to national recognition.  Are the above universities good schools?  Probably, but they receive much greater recognition due to their football programs, thus driving enrollment.

3.  If you want to hire a good coach in today's market, you better be prepared to pay.

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier, this is basically getting Coach Littrell back to the amount that was originally offered to him.

I'm sorry, but no G5 school is going to gain national recognition due to success on the athletic field. The CUSA conference champion may be known to hard core football fans but that is about it. For example, Boise St has about 20,000 undergrads and we have about 30,000. Yet, according to startclass.com, we had 16K applicants for admission while Boise St only had 8K. The average SAT for a UNT freshman was 1642 and for Boise State, 1525.  

People say that athletics are the "window of a university" and perhaps there is a bit of truth to that for some of the P5, but for the rest of us, not at all. The fact that our football coach makes twice as much as the president is indeed ridiculous as GTWT said. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I'm sorry, but no G5 school is going to gain national recognition due to success on the athletic field. The CUSA conference champion may be known to hard core football fans but that is about it. For example, Boise St has about 20,000 undergrads and we have about 30,000. Yet, according to startclass.com, we had 16K applicants for admission while Boise St only had 8K. The average SAT for a UNT freshman was 1642 and for Boise State, 1525.  

People say that athletics are the "window of a university" and perhaps there is a bit of truth to that for some of the P5, but for the rest of us, not at all. The fact that our football coach makes twice as much as the president is indeed ridiculous as GTWT said. 

I stated in my first sentence that college football coach's salaries were ridiculous.  

"No G5 school is going to gain national recognition due to success on the athletic field?  Who ever heard of Western Michigan, outside of hardcore college football fans and fans of the MAC, until their success under Fleck?  Who had heard of Boise State until they had a great year and upset OU?  That is my point.  The recognition these programs provide to their respective universities with national coverage of their success is worth it, and has driven the market to where it is today.  Does that make it right?  Not necessarily, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, GTWT said:

I like Coach Littrell.  I really do.  But no college coach should be getting this kind of money - not at UNT, not at Alabama.  Somethings wrong when a football coach is the highest paid employee on campus. 

I wholeheartedly agree.  But things are what they are.  We could say, "We're only going to pay our head coach $150k a year"--which is probably about what an average FBS football coach should make.  But we would immediately take a nosedive among our soon-to-be-former peers.  Unless schools band together and say, "No more," we are stuck doing what is necessary to keep up with the Joneses.  And the sad reality is that million- and multimillion-dollar salaries are simply keeping up with the Joneses these days.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

If it weren't for college athletics, how well known would most state and especially private schools be known to people outside of their "home" state?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flutie_effect

Boise State University experienced an effect similar to the "Flutie Effect" after their 43-42 overtime victory over Oklahoma in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The game capped an undefeated season and a top-5 finish by Boise State, a team not considered to be a traditional football power. Online inquiries about the school increased 135 percent, and graduate school application inquiries increased tenfold. Boise State also enrolled over 19,000 students the next fall, an all-time high.[11]

Appalachian State University had a "Flutie Effect" after winning multiple Division I FCS championships and upsetting Michigan with Armanti Edwards as their quarterback. Five years after the Michigan game, CBSSports.com writer Dennis Dodd claimed that it was "tied directly to a 17 percent increase in applicants, a 24 percent boost in attendance and a 73 percent rise in licensing royalties."[10]

There's more, including G5 examples and basketball examples.  Take it FWIW

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Are you ok buddy?  Your looking a bit pekid.  You gonna need some counseling or something?

Rick

Naw, I'm fine Rick.  I just need to have my pump primed - to borrow a term coined by our president.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, GTWT said:

supply and demand. Also, gotta consider what he brings to the P&L.

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:07 PM, GTWT said:

Naw, I'm fine Rick.  I just need to have my pump primed - to borrow a term coined by our president.

Or your cigar smoked, happened with Slick Willy.