Wild schedule speculation

outoftown

So, I was wondering: Who could be a somewhat big name team that WB could bring in for the now open 2019 home date. This is assuming that WB realizes this needs to absolutely be a home game with an opponent that is P5 level attractive or similar.

So here are some somewhat optimistic options of teams that look to have an opening. The following list has no ambition to be complete. Honestly most other options I saw would not improve upon an army series.

Not all that likely

Houston: Only has one OOC gaame scheduled so far. However that one is a road game

Oklahoma State: Tulsa somehow put 5 games on its 2019 OOC schedule and one of them will have to be moved. They got 2 home games, one with Okie State and one with Wyoming. Okie State also has a nother open date in 2019, but has yet to schedule a home OOC game, but then again OSU is likely to have 5 conference home games in 2019. The other option here would of course be Wyoming, but in what way that is better than army I wouldn't be able to see.

Vanderbilt: Vandy still has an open date for 2019 and already has 2 OOC home games, so that could maybe be a possibilty.

TCU:  recently TCU and Ohio, reduced their 2018/2019 home and home to a single game at Jerryworld in 2018. That leaves TCU with an open slot for 2019. TCU also has plenty of open slots after that. I think they would probably want a home game for that date, but who knows.

Syracuse still has two open dates.

Hard to imagine, but well nothing else that wouldn't be a disapointment feels likely right now either

Just generally I understand that the ACC still has not decided to go to 9 games, but some teams still have open dates for 2019.

For example Miami somehow only has the neutral game with Florida for 2019s OOC on the docket yet. I doubt they'd be willing to come to Texas though. All that said, most of these teams feel unlikely to come to UNT or would not make sense (Georgia Tech makes no sense when you do't want to play army)

Northwestern still has an open date, currently a home OOC and a road OOC game scheduled. However they would likely have 5 conference home games in 19.

Missisipi State, Ole Miss and South Carolina all have an open date and already have a neutral site and two home games for OOC.

Arkansas still has an open date in 19 and already 3 home games.

I really hope WB manages to get one of these or something on the same level that isn't open yet will b what that date will be filled with, as most other options would be a disappointment. In other words WB really has put himself in a place where he has to pull of something that I don't think an AD at UNT has pulled off in the last 30 years.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 6

You're right, some of that is some pretty wild speculation. North Texas should be looking for a home game for 2019 otherwise we'll end up with 5 home games for that season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, outoftown said:

So, I was wondering: Who could be a somewhat big name team that WB could bring in for the now open 2019 home date. This is assuming that WB realizes this needs to absolutely be a home game with an opponent that is P5 level attractive or similar.

So here are some somewhat optimistic options of teams that look to have an opening. The following list has no ambition to be complete. Honestly most other options I saw would not improve upon an army series.

Not all that likely

Houston: Only has one OOC gaame scheduled so far. However that one is a road game

Oklahoma State: Tulsa somehow put 5 games on its 2019 OOC schedule and one of them will have to be moved. They got 2 home games, one with Okie State and one with Wyoming. Okie State also has a nother open date in 2019, but has yet to schedule a home OOC game, but then again OSU is likely to have 5 conference home games in 2019. The other option here would of course be Wyoming, but in what way that is better than army I wouldn't be able to see.

Vanderbilt: Vandy still has an open date for 2019 and already has 2 OOC home games, so that could maybe be a possibilty.

TCU:  recently TCU and Ohio, reduced their 2018/2019 home and home to a single game at Jerryworld in 2018. That leaves TCU with an open slot for 2019. TCU also has plenty of open slots after that. I think they would probably want a home game for that date, but who knows.

Syracuse still has two open dates.

Hard to imagine, but well nothing else that wouldn't be a disapointment feels likely right now either

Just generally I understand that the ACC still has not decided to go to 9 games, but some teams still have open dates for 2019.

For example Miami somehow only has the neutral game with Florida for 2019s OOC on the docket yet. I doubt they'd be willing to come to Texas though. All that said, most of these teams feel unlikely to come to UNT or would not make sense (Georgia Tech makes no sense when you do't want to play army)

Northwestern still has an open date, currently a home OOC and a road OOC game scheduled. However they would likely have 5 conference home games in 19.

Missisipi State, Ole Miss and South Carolina all have an open date and already have a neutral site and two home games for OOC.

Arkansas still has an open date in 19 and already 3 home games.

I really hope WB manages to get one of these or something on the same level that isn't open yet will b what that date will be filled with, as most other options would be a disappointment. In other words WB really has put himself in a place where he has to pull of something that I don't think an AD at UNT has pulled off in the last 30 years.

You left out the possibility of scheduling Bob Jones, Oral Roberts, or Cairo Islamic University.

That's right - I can't let it go.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I would not  consider UH a big scheduling get or any other g5 or a self-proclaimed p6 team.  

Individually, probably not.  But what if there were multiple games with self-proclaimed p6 conference members that might lead to AAC membership?  After all, Wren does know the commissioner of that conference.

My point is that we don't know the reason for the change.  It could have been that Army wanted out of those years and we are obliging them.  It could be to set up home and homes with other major (or Texas) p5s.  I don't know his motives and I seriously doubt that anyone else on this board does either.  I do know that he is trying to eliminate the "money" games and this could be a part of his plan.  

So far, I've found little to complain about related to Wren Baker's handling of the Athletic Director's job.  In my opinion this board is making much ado about nothing.  Well, it could be nothing.  I would only be upset if the scheduling of Liberty was a favor to Ian McCaw.  If I find that to be the case then I'll jump in with both feet.

Wren Baker is not Rick Villareal!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrayEagle said:

Individually, probably not.  But what if there were multiple games with self-proclaimed p6 conference members that might lead to AAC membership?  After all, Wren does know the commissioner of that conference.

My point is that we don't know the reason for the change.  It could have been that Army wanted out of those years and we are obliging them.  It could be to set up home and homes with other major (or Texas) p5s.  I don't know his motives and I seriously doubt that anyone else on this board does either.  I do know that he is trying to eliminate the "money" games and this could be a part of his plan.  

So far, I've found little to complain about related to Wren Baker's handling of the Athletic Director's job.  In my opinion this board is making much ado about nothing.  Well, it could be nothing.  I would only be upset if the scheduling of Liberty was a favor to Ian McCaw.  If I find that to be the case then I'll jump in with both feet.

Image result for no chance gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I've seen nothing to suggest Army wanted out.  Perhaps they did but I haven't seen it.  Even if it was Army that dropped the two games, I'm still disappointed that we chose to associate with a disreputable entity such as Liberty.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

I've seen nothing to suggest Army wanted out.  Perhaps they did but I haven't seen it.  Even if it was Army that dropped the two games, I'm still disappointed that we chose to associate with a disreputable entity such as Liberty.

i would have kept army on the schedule.  The games were close and exciting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

That's because Army didn't drop them. WB and UNT did. Saying otherwise is just trying to put this administration on a pedestal. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10

On 5/26/2017 at 9:39 PM, GTWT said:

Multiple people reported that WB and SL have said things along the line of army -due to its unsual schemes- being bad for preparing the players for the rest of the season and throwing the progression of learning particularly schemes of ones own team a bit back. To me, that sounds like it was UNT who wanted out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Multiple people reported that WB and SL have said things along the line of army -due to its unsual schemes- being bad for preparing the players for the rest of the season and throwing the progression of learning particularly schemes of ones own team a bit back. To me, that sounds like it was UNT who wanted out. 

After hearing the coaches reasoning at the Caravan I have to say I'm on board.  The reasoning goes along these lines:

1. We recruit no one from the Northeast.  Every OOC game should be looked at as a recruiting opportunity in that area.  Army is not.  Expect to see future scheduled OOC games to be with schools in Texas and the surrounding states.  I.e. no more Iowa and Wisconsin games will be considered. 

2. Every game on your schedule is a chance to get better at what you do.  Playing Army puts the breaks on week to week development and forces game planning for a scheme no one in conference runs.  It kills momentum in the learning curve.  

3.  Army runs a cut blocking scheme that can get your players injured.  

4.  They are not completely canceling the Army series. They want to get the games more spread out so they can play teams that help in recruiting and team building 

5. Liberty was the best we could do to help accomplish some of these goals.  

6. They are excited about a home and home series they are working on.  

• Upvote 4

I'm hoping for the best, but I really expect this to be a way to soften the schedule, nothing more. 

If he gets a UH, Texas State, or some regional P5, I'll change my view, but I don't expect any of these in Denton.

If we end up with another 5-game home schedule in 2019, I'm just gonna sit back and realize that Wren Baker just couldn't change the status quo around here, instead following the RV track to getting a great paycheck and having the BOR's good graces to just stay in budget and keep quiet.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'm hoping for the best, but I really expect this to be a way to soften the schedule, nothing more. 

If he gets a UH, Texas State, or some regional P5, I'll change my view, but I don't expect any of these in Denton.

If we end up with another 5-game home schedule in 2019, I'm just gonna sit back and realize that Wren Baker just couldn't change the status quo around here, instead following the RV track to getting a great paycheck and having the BOR's good graces to just stay in budget and keep quiet.

You think Texas State is a scheduling coup?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

You think UH is weaker than Army?

I do. Attendance may be slightly better with UH, but as things are right now it's a surefire L. So why replace a decent name with another just decent name when the one getting the boot is currently much more winnable? 

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I do. Attendance may be slightly better with UH, but as things are right now it's a surefire L. So why replace a decent name with another just decent name when the one getting the boot is currently much more winnable? 

You contradict yourself in your reply.  You first state that UH is weaker, although recent polls would beg to differ, and then you state the one getting the boot, Army, is much more winnable.  Which is it?

• Downvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:39 PM, DT 90 said:

2020 -  At Texas A&M. Be nice if there was return game on this one.

Games against Texas A&M are definitely a recruiting plus.  I have said this before, not only the chance to play before 100K in huge stadiums  but players like proving themselves against the "Big Boys".  DT 90 had a blast going against the Outland Trophy winner Olineman at Alabama. The score board may have been lopsided but after that game, no game or no team was "to big" for him.   

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2017 at 11:20 AM, HoustonEagle said:

After hearing the coaches reasoning at the Caravan I have to say I'm on board.  The reasoning goes along these lines:

1. We recruit no one from the Northeast.  Every OOC game should be looked at as a recruiting opportunity in that area.  Army is not.  Expect to see future scheduled OOC games to be with schools in Texas and the surrounding states.  I.e. no more Iowa and Wisconsin games will be considered. 

2. Every game on your schedule is a chance to get better at what you do.  Playing Army puts the breaks on week to week development and forces game planning for a scheme no one in conference runs.  It kills momentum in the learning curve.  

3.  Army runs a cut blocking scheme that can get your players injured.  

4.  They are not completely canceling the Army series. They want to get the games more spread out so they can play teams that help in recruiting and team building 

5. Liberty was the best we could do to help accomplish some of these goals.  

6. They are excited about a home and home series they are working on.  

If they cancel every series with school that have cut blocks, we will have zero teams on our schedule.  Newsflash: spread teams cutblock as well, they just do it outside the LOS.

Stupid reasoning. 

Again, they didn't need to schedule Liberty to accomplish any goals.  The talk about Mizzou and Oklahoma State being the reason has already been shown to be false on two front:  (1) Neither has an opening in their schedule, and (2) the Army series would be complete before either has another set of openings for a two game series.

Liberty was simply Baker getting hammered by an experienced AD.  And, the cut block excuse is simply stupid.  If the coaches are so lazy that they can't endure preparing to play one run-based defense per year, they shouldn't be in the coaching profession.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

If they cancel every series with school that have cut blocks, we will have zero teams on our schedule.  Newsflash: spread teams cutblock as well, they just do it outside the LOS.

Stupid reasoning. 

Again, they didn't need to schedule Liberty to accomplish any goals.  The talk about Mizzou and Oklahoma State being the reason has already been shown to be false on two front:  (1) Neither has an opening in their schedule, and (2) the Army series would be complete before either has another set of openings for a two game series.

Liberty was simply Baker getting hammered by an experienced AD.  And, the cut block excuse is simply stupid.  If the coaches are so lazy that they can't endure preparing to play one run-based defense per year, they shouldn't be in the coaching profession.

I think this, too. Wren is still new to this. Ian McCaw has been an AD for years at a Power School. As I've said, this just needs to be a learning mistake for WB. If it is, we can move forward with a better AD than when he got hired and one who can still be miles better than the predecessor--as long as he doesn't make another colossal mistake like this one appears to be for now.

I'll say this, if we lose to Liberty in either game of this series, this will go down as one of the worst mistakes I've ever seen an AD make, schedule-wise...but its not worse for the program, as a whole, than letting 17 people dictate who is in charge of the entire department because he is one of their pals. That nightmare caused us to fall straight into a ditch that may not even be recoverable from...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1