Elephant in the room Part 2

Harry

The biggest issue that I see with the new Littrell/Harrell regime is the quarterback position.

Sure Fine played well, especially given the o-line issues and lack of playmakers at wide receiver.  But the fact is he had no other major D-I offers and at his size injuries will always be a concern.

And our current #2, Shanbour is a great story of perseverance; yet he will have one year of eligibility left and has played not one down of D-I football.

True freshman Cade Pearson put up huge numbers at Texarkana and was able to participate in Spring drills.  He has some ability but other than Wyoming, most of the schools who were interested in him were McNeese, SFA, and Northwestern State.  He may well turn out to be a diamond in the rough.

Juco Devlin Isadore was once a highly sought after prospect.  After his knee injury he became damaged goods and was not even able to participate in all of the spring drills.  I am not aware that he had any offers after his injury.

The Alec Morris signing last season gave one a glimmer of hope that that North Texas and it's air raid staff would become a place where talented quarterbacks would want to be.  Guys that other D-I schools wanted.  And I think we all realize these things take time.  Iron Mac and Chico's run first offense was in hindsight not considered a haven for QB's looking to put up big numbers.  And Rome wasn't built in a day.  I had held out hope that they could pick up a graduate transfer late but as we are 100-days before football is back time is not on our side.

Hopefully, North Texas will be able to bring in a high level prospect at the quarterback position with multiple offers in this next recruiting class.  It would seem that by having coaches like Littrell and Harrell as well as a very prolific offensive system in place that this should be possible.

I do believe Shanbour has two years. O'hara has one left, Shanbour and Isadore have two, Fine has three, and Pearson has five.

I think it's also worth noting that Wyoming's current QB might be the number 1 overall pick next year so they might be on to something when it comes to QB's. Only offer out of high school was Wyoming

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Allen-78109?Institution=23669

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Shanbour has played a down of D1 football. Look to Kyle Fall at Wazzu to see what a little recruited quarterback can do in the air raid.

You mean Luke Falk?  He is 6-4.  And WSU is in the Pac 10 a p5 conference.  So while I agree a lot of teams missed badly on him, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Please don't interpret my post as any criticism of Shanbour whatsoever.  I wish him well - he's one of ours.  I hope he's the second coming of Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, etc... I admire him a lot.

My post was just to point out that from a recruiting perspective we haven't been able to parlay the Littrell/Harrell/Air Raid connection to lure a top level QB prospect to this point.  We may very well in time.  Right now we have two 6-foot QB's at #1 and #2.  And while I want them both to break records at UNT I think that needs to change in future years.  I was very clear that I felt we needed an insurance policy juco/grad transfer in the case that Fine and/or Shanbour got hurt.  We haven't done that yet although the jury is still out on Isadore.  I don't want us to have to feed Pearson to the wolves if we can avoid it.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

You mean Luke Falk?  He is 6-4.  And WSU is in the Pac 10 a p5 conference.  So while I agree a lot of teams missed badly on him, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Please don't interpret my post as any criticism of Shanbour whatsoever.  I wish him well - he's one of ours.  I hope he's the second coming of Scott Davis, Mitch Maher, etc... I admire him a lot.

My post was just to point out that from a recruiting perspective we haven't been able to parlay the Littrell/Harrell/Air Raid connection to lure a top level QB prospect to this point.  We may very well in time.  Right now we have two 6-foot QB's at #1 and #2.  And while I want them both to break records at UNT I think that needs to change in future years.  I was very clear that I felt we needed an insurance policy juco/grad transfer in the case that Fine and/or Shanbour got hurt.  We haven't done that yet although the jury is still out on Isadore.  I don't want us to have to feed Pearson to the wolves if we can avoid it.

I really think Shanbour is going to be a better option at #2 than Pearson at this point... much to Pearson's chagrin.  Have no idea what we have in Isadore, but I also hope he's a better option than a true Freshman.    Would love for Pearson to get the redshirt this year that Fine needed last year.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes, I meant Luke Falk. Dang autocorrect. Fine was taken on short notice. Pearson is the first qb this staff was on start to finish. If he turns out to be a bust then you have a valid point but thus far, Pearson will be the measuring stick. Thus far, he has looked pretty dang good for a guy that should be graduating high school in a week. Our quarterback recruiting and evaluation is back to Todd Dodge levels at a minimum and Dodge did a good job of finding good quarterbacks. Defense, notsomuch 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I do believe Shanbour has two years. O'hara has one left, Shanbour and Isadore have two, Fine has three, and Pearson has five.

I think it's also worth noting that Wyoming's current QB might be the number 1 overall pick next year so they might be on to something when it comes to QB's. Only offer out of high school was Wyoming

http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Allen-78109?Institution=23669

I was thinking the same thing, and if I'm not mistaken the QB before him also made it to the league. Wyoming seems to be able to find QB talent so it makes me feel even better about Mr. Pearson, not to mention I played juco baseball in Texarkana so I have some affection for them. 

• Upvote 1

I really hope Izzy wins the job. Fine's size both in Ht and Wt is a concern. He came in at 167 and now weighs 173.

Would like to see Shan get some playing time.

To be able to finally redshirt a freshman with talent is big for UNT.

If the OC can open up the passing game then we will be attractive. Graham has the reputation to get in the door now we just need results for the close!

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Harry said:

The biggest issue that I see with the new Littrell/Harrell regime is the quarterback position.

Sure Fine played well, especially given the o-line issues and lack of playmakers at wide receiver.  But the fact is he had no other major D-I offers and at his size injuries will always be a concern.

And our current #2, Shanbour is a great story of perseverance; yet he will have one year of eligibility left and has played not one down of D-I football.

True freshman Cade Pearson put up huge numbers at Texarkana and was able to participate in Spring drills.  He has some ability but other than Wyoming, most of the schools who were interested in him were McNeese, SFA, and Northwestern State.  He may well turn out to be a diamond in the rough.

Juco Devlin Isadore was once a highly sought after prospect.  After his knee injury he became damaged goods and was not even able to participate in all of the spring drills.  I am not aware that he had any offers after his injury.

The Alec Morris signing last season gave one a glimmer of hope that that North Texas and it's air raid staff would become a place where talented quarterbacks would want to be.  Guys that other D-I schools wanted.  And I think we all realize these things take time.  Iron Mac and Chico's run first offense was in hindsight not considered a haven for QB's looking to put up big numbers.  And Rome wasn't built in a day.  I had held out hope that they could pick up a graduate transfer late but as we are 100-days before football is back time is not on our side.

Hopefully, North Texas will be able to bring in a high level prospect at the quarterback position with multiple offers in this next recruiting class.  It would seem that by having coaches like Littrell and Harrell as well as a very prolific offensive system in place that this should be possible.

Devlin had Angelo State, Southern, and Prarie View A&M out of HS, only UNT out of Navarro.  

Also, here are our current offered QB's 

Pro Style

1. Clayton Tune  6'2.5" 200 - Kansas commit, UNT and UH offers rated .8367 (My #1 preference overall)

2. Davis Brin 6'2" 180 - Uncommitted,  Bowling Green, UNT, ULM, Toledo, New Mexico St, Rice, UTSA, ACU, Holy Cross, Fordham rated .8366

3. Kason Martin 6' 2.5" 181 - UNT, A&M Commerce not rated 

Dual Threat

1. Spencer Sanders not typing all his stuff he is locked at OSU

2. Tanner Mordecai not typing all his stuff has 18 offers BU, Georgia, OU etc.

3. Chance Amie 6'3" 191 - Uncommitted,  Ark St, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Colorado St, FAU, GSU, UH, Iowa St, ULALA, UNT, Rutgers, Syracuse, UCF, Virginia rated .8514

4. Aaron Allen 6' 175 - Uncommitted, Army, Georgia State (GSU see above), La Tech, ULM, New Mexico, UNT, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, UNLV, Cornell, McNeese St rated .8362  (My personal preference after Chance Amie for Dual Threat) 

5. Stacy Conner 6'5.5" 175 - Committed to UNLV, Tx State, Ark St, UConn, Illinois State, Jackson St, Memphis, Nevada, UNT, San Jose St, Cal rated .8073

6. Cade Finnegan 6'1.5" 162 - Uncommitted, UNT, ACU (I like this kid alot just doesn't have the "size" when looking for prototypical college QB) 

Here is my stance on size and UNT.. go get the best dang player available if they're small but a football player then screw it.  We have to WIN and win consistently before we start landing prototypical D1 kids who can play (not projects).  Just my two cents for what its worth. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.03.42 AM.png

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 5

From the list of uncommitted Dual-Threats, I really like Allen's video.  Amie's was impressive, but he has an odd throwing motion.

After watching the videos of Tune and Brin, I really would prefer Brin.

Don't get me wrong, any of the four would be great, but those two are my preferences based on their film.

I haven't watch many of these QBs film but I would like to land Tanner or Tune. 

The offense did click at time last year but did not maintain it over an half or entire game. 

This offense again will only go as far as the OLine let's them. We saw flashes when the OL seemed decent and the offense moved it but most of the time they weren't. Another thing is that Fine has to hit WRs. Having a 50-60% completion % will not work in this offense. Completion % is important because it will let us keep the defense on their heels and open it up for Wilson.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Devlin had Angelo State, Southern, and Prarie View A&M out of HS, only UNT out of Navarro.  

Also, here are our current offered QB's 

Pro Style

1. Clayton Tune  6'2.5" 200 - Kansas commit, UNT and UH offers rated .8367 (My #1 preference overall)

2. Davis Brin 6'2" 180 - Uncommitted,  Bowling Green, UNT, ULM, Toledo, New Mexico St, Rice, UTSA, ACU, Holy Cross, Fordham rated .8366

3. Kason Martin 6' 2.5" 181 - UNT, A&M Commerce not rated 

Dual Threat

1. Spencer Sanders not typing all his stuff he is locked at OSU

2. Tanner Mordecai not typing all his stuff has 18 offers BU, Georgia, OU etc.

3. Chance Amie 6'3" 191 - Uncommitted,  Ark St, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Colorado St, FAU, GSU, UH, Iowa St, ULALA, UNT, Rutgers, Syracuse, UCF, Virginia rated .8514

4. Aaron Allen 6' 175 - Uncommitted, Army, Georgia State (GSU see above), La Tech, ULM, New Mexico, UNT, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, UNLV, Cornell, McNeese St rated .8362  (My personal preference after Chance Amie for Dual Threat) 

5. Stacy Conner 6'5.5" 175 - Committed to UNLV, Tx State, Ark St, UConn, Illinois State, Jackson St, Memphis, Nevada, UNT, San Jose St, Cal rated .8073

6. Cade Finnegan 6'1.5" 162 - Uncommitted, UNT, ACU (I like this kid alot just doesn't have the "size" when looking for prototypical college QB) 

Here is my stance on size and UNT.. go get the best dang player available if they're small but a football player then screw it.  We have to WIN and win consistently before we start landing prototypical D1 kids who can play (not projects).  Just my two cents for what its worth. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.03.42 AM.png

IOW, we should expect Kason Martin or Finnegan as our newest QB addition, if we stay par the current course. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:21 PM, Harry said:

Harry, I understand your concern completely. My hope is that the development of both Fine and Shanbour continues and then more and more of the HS coaching community takes notice of this. More Cade Pierson's (and better) will follow.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:38 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I really think Shanbour is going to be a better option at #2 than Pearson at this point... much to Pearson's chagrin.  Have no idea what we have in Isadore, but I also hope he's a better option than a true Freshman.    Would love for Pearson to get the redshirt this year that Fine needed last year.

I agree with your assessment/scenario. From watching all of them in spring practice and a scrimmage or two, Pearson appears to be the QB of the future. He's got the raw talent, and he's pretty confident, but he doesn't have Fine's level of confidence or enough knowledge of the system to be effective as a starter.

Isadore has raw talent, but he wasn't the most attentive student during spring practice. I hope he's not one of those QB/Athletes that relies too heavily on freelancing with his legs in an attempt to make things happen instead of learning what all of your pre-run options are.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

IOW, we should expect Kason Martin or Finnegan as our newest QB addition, if we stay par the current course. 

Nothing at all wrong with Finnegan, he throws a beautiful ball.  160 pounds at 6'1.5" is tiny, and could be what scares schools away, will he maintain his speed as dual threat guy if he gains the needed 30-40 lbs to hold up against D1 LBs trying to crush him.  But he runs away from several DISD teams defenses and we all know DISD has some kids who can fly. 

• Upvote 1