TexasFootball.com - 3 Things on NT "To Do" List

jdennis82

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It great seeing these guys actually seem to know what's going on with the team.  Good stuff.

If an outsider can look at our 2016 team and realize "wow, Eric Keena was probably their mvp", then yes they seem to understand that team well.

One of the losses I am most concerned about. 

Good perspective. Still don't understand the positive Harrell comments. To me he is the one that needs to have the greatest improvement for a positive year. Slot play as a weapon will make a big difference.

Could we see English and Young inside at the same time? If we can be stronger up the middle Hambone could be Huuuuge! GMG

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Good perspective. Still don't understand the positive Harrell comments. To me he is the one that needs to have the greatest improvement for a positive year. Slot play as a weapon will make a big difference.

Could we see English and Young inside at the same time? If we can be stronger up the middle Hambone could be Huuuuge! GMG

Agree on Harrell.  Need some improvement from him.  Seemed a little 'in-over-his-head' at times last year.

Not sure what seeing English & Young "inside at the same time" would look like since we run a 3-down lineman DL scheme.  They've moved Young to the outside.  Expect to see Tauaalo spell English inside most times.  And I would expect to see Young "inside" on heavy sets like goal-line and whatnot.

• Upvote 5

On 5/25/2017 at 9:38 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree on Harrell.  Need some improvement from him.  Seemed a little 'in-over-his-head' at times last year.

Not sure what seeing English & Young "inside at the same time" would look like since we run a 3-down lineman DL scheme.  They've moved Young to the outside.  Expect to see Tauaalo spell English inside most times.  And I would expect to see Young "inside" on heavy sets like goal-line and whatnot.

I see what y'all are saying about Harrell and the play calling, but anyone take a Minute to stop and think that maybe that was because they had a limited playbook with a new offense and a freshman qb then a guy that had been the backup? 

I saw saw a quote where littrell said they added in more of the playbook this spring. 

On 5/25/2017 at 9:38 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know that this will sound like arguing to argue, however I can promise Harrell is not in over his head. When you can't run the ball it doesn't make a flying flip what you know or don't know.  Anywho Harrell may be right up there with Morris's/Littrell as far as offensive minds in the game.  He's special and we're lucky to have him, he does need to get his unit going but remember how many receivers we lost. We ended the year with a walk on starting and getting a lot of reps and 2 true freshman playing a substantial role at WR (Wilson, Bussey).  I am not making excuses for the guy but he was playing with half a deck.  Only play that bowl game I questioned was the reverse pass (only because it didn't work).  That player was told over and over in practice if it ain't there just run and get what you can.  Obviously, in the game he was trying to make a play and you can't fault him for that.  I think as fans it's so easy to only see glaring issues with colored lenses.  This roster is in a bad way and will be for probably 1-2 more years until we're back up to the allotted scholarships.  

I may may be wrong and these guys may never turn the ship around, however if there is a group it's these coaches.  My one complaint is recruiting, or how slow we are to offer kids who can play.  I know it has to do with the fact that again we will have a small class due to the blueshirting we have done with the '17 class.  At some point (I hope this class) they will stop blue shirting and sign a full class. 

Lastly, my preferred DL is Young, TJ, English with English being able to slide back to nose on pass downs and bring in more edge rusher type.  I'd like to see what Mylam Peters could do in that spot. Good looking dude who won't see the field at LB. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I know that this will sound like arguing to argue, however I can promise Harrell is not in over his head. When you can't run the ball it doesn't make a flying flip what you know or don't know.  Anywho Harrell may be right up there with Morris's/Littrell as far as offensive minds in the game.  He's special and we're lucky to have him, he does need to get his unit going but remember how many receivers we lost. We ended the year with a walk on starting and getting a lot of reps and 2 true freshman playing a substantial role at WR (Wilson, Bussey).  I am not making excuses for the guy but he was playing with half a deck.  Only play that bowl game I questioned was the reverse pass (only because it didn't work).  That player was told over and over in practice if it ain't there just run and get what you can.  Obviously, in the game he was trying to make a play and you can't fault him for that.  I think as fans it's so easy to only see glaring issues with colored lenses.  This roster is in a bad way and will be for probably 1-2 more years until we're back up to the allotted scholarships.  

I agree that last year is not a good barometer of what Harrell can do.  However, that cuts both ways; you can't support last year's performance proves he is a good offensive coordinator, anymore than you can prove the opposite.   Fact is despite some very positive press on Harrell's potential; he has not demonstrated his merit either by NT's offensive play on the field or his ability to recruit.  I hope that proof happens this year.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Good coaches adapt to the players they have at the time. That is how SL ended up being successful.

Exactly, 1-11 to 5-7 is a solid jump. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Good coaches adapt to the players they have at the time. That is how SL ended up being successful.

I have pointed out many times how Hayden Fry came in and took over a 1-10 team and turned them into a 5-5-1 team his first year. Of course, they tanked it the next year, but not as bad as RR's last year.

AND as to point three on this video. THAT is why right after all the signatures are gathered on national signing day, I almost always ask the Clara Pellar question "Where's the beef?".

16 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Exactly, 1-11 to 5-7 is a solid jump. 

The biggest improvement any team ever makes is going from awful to average. That 4 game jump was huge, if only because we really should have gone 0-12 the year before this, when UTSA was done to their 5th string QB in the second half of a game in Denton that we won on a late TD. And that last loss against Army could have just as easily been a win. Yes, UTEP murdered us and they were terrible, but it was Senior Day and those things can happen to young teams on the road. But other than them, we lost to the teams we should have lost to and we even won at Army in a game most thought we would lose.

IOW, the record improved by 4 wins, but it was even bigger than that. Plus, the mindset of the locker room and the increased experience for the team and staff is basically immeasurable. Its why I feel like we should be able to improve again on our record from last year, even if by one game. That's the harder improvement to see, going from average to good, and good to great. But this schedule for 2017 is as favorable for us as I've seen in a while. Lamar, UAB, UTSA, UTEP, Army, and Old Dominion at home should equal no less than 4 wins, if not all 6. Mix in a win or two at FAU, Rice, SMU, and USM, and now you are looking at 6-8 wins, assuming health doesn't become a huge barrier. I expect 6-6, but I see 8-4 as a realistic upside, as well.

• Upvote 2