Texas gunslinger Graham Harrell is back home — and thriving

22 minutes ago, StealthEagle84 said:

Good write up on Coach Harrell.  I hope we can keep him as long as possible.  But if / when he leaves Denton, its a good sign of success.  

http://247sports.com/Article/Graham-Harrell-is-living-his-coaching-dream-at-UNT-as-offensive--52871798

I don't see why we won't be able to keep him for the time being. He's having growing pains in his OC position. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I agree he is having some growing pains but there is no doubt he could be a star coach in the making.  I have talked to several high school coaches who have spoken very highly of him.  While we didn't throw up great numbers last season, keep in mind it was the first season with limited talent in a brand new system.  But Harrell has been around the game long enough at all levels to truly understand the game.  I have no doubt he will become a solid coach.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I agree he is having some growing pains but there is no doubt he could be a star coach in the making.  I have talked to several high school coaches who have spoken very highly of him.  While we didn't throw up great numbers last season, keep in mind it was the first season with limited talent in a brand new system.  But Harrell has been around the game long enough at all levels to truly understand the game.  I have no doubt he will become a solid coach.  

This is 100% based off of his daddy's name and his accomplishments as a player, nothing more. Very coaching community type stuff. Like very much how there are so many flailing and failing retread coaches littered throughout the college game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 15

6 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Man, a solid article about a young up and coming coach at UNT and people here find a way to turn it negative... Amazing

your right about that, UNT could go undefeated and win the national championship and people would complain about it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is 100% based off of his daddy's name and his accomplishments as a player, nothing more. Very coaching community type stuff. Like very much how there are so many flailing and failing retread coaches littered throughout the college game. 

and the basis for this comment is????

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Please, educate me on his coaching accolades and accomplishments. Appearantly I'm ill informed on this. I'll wait...

I don't necessarily think he has Bobby Bowden accolades, but I don't think he got the job based on his Dad's coaching reputation or his own accomplishments as a player.

I think he got the job based on his intimate understanding of the offense Seth Littrell runs as an offshoot of Mike Leach's system, coupled with the year of coaching directly under Leach at WASt.  
Was he ready last year to be an offensive coordinator at this level?   Maybe not, but that doesn't mean he can't improve or that he's the wrong guy for the job.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I based my comment from one coach in particular who spent several hours in the film room with Harrell and came away very impressed.  Said coach (now in the college ranks) spoke very highly of Coach Harrell's in depth knowledge and understanding of the game.  He was very successful as a player and like many coaches kids, he has a good feel for the game.  Don't knock the guy because of who his daddy is and give him a chance.  I'm confident he won't disappoint.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah as much as I like Harrell his playcalling was all over the place last year. Hoping his situational awareness improves for this year

Just remember that he also had to work in guys who were recruited here to play a plodding offense. Harrell himself even said it was taking the guys a while to adjust to the new offense last year. I expect everything will be better on offense this year--Fine, Harrell, and SL will be better next season.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Just remember that he also had to work in guys who were recruited here to play a plodding offense. Harrell himself even said it was taking the guys a while to adjust to the new offense last year. I expect everything will be better on offense this year--Fine, Harrell, and SL will be better next season.

I get this ^. But some, if not most of his issues, were situational. I get he's not going to immediately come in here and have a 3500 yard passer and 1k yard rusher. It was deeper than that though. 

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't necessarily think he has Bobby Bowden accolades, but I don't think he got the job based on his Dad's coaching reputation or his own accomplishments as a player.

I think he got the job based on his intimate understanding of the offense Seth Littrell runs as an offshoot of Mike Leach's system, coupled with the year of coaching directly under Leach at WASt.  
Was he ready last year to be an offensive coordinator at this level?   Maybe not, but that doesn't mean he can't improve or that he's the wrong guy for the job.

Oh, so had he been a boot leg walk on at Tech with little to no stats, he would have been offered an opportunity at Wazzou? 

3 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

I based my comment from one coach in particular who spent several hours in the film room with Harrell and came away very impressed.  Said coach (now in the college ranks) spoke very highly of Coach Harrell's in depth knowledge and understanding of the game.  He was very successful as a player and like many coaches kids, he has a good feel for the game.  Don't knock the guy because of who his daddy is and give him a chance.  I'm confident he won't disappoint.  

Just because one is a scientist, doesn't mean he can teach science. 

As far as his dad, I didn't knock him because of who is dad is. I didn't say he got this job because of his dad. BUT his name being thrown around by HIGH SCHOOL coaches and what have you as being some football genius in the making is much to do with who his dad is AND his success at Tech as a player. Because his coaching prowess is right now, as we witnessed first hand, is meh. Hopefully he blows 'meh' out of the water this year, but we'll see. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I get this ^. But some, if not most of his issues, were situational. I get he's not going to immediately come in here and have a 3500 yard passer and 1k yard rusher. It was deeper than that though. 

Did you read the article?  I think it was pretty clear in why he is highly thought of as a young coach.  Understands the game, thoroughly understands the scheme, is a great teacher, great at breaking down film, etc...  Patience is a virtue.

You would have fired Landry after his 0'fer start, Jimmy Johnson after his 1 win start and never let Prescott set foot on the field because he didn't have the credentials.

Edited by UNTLifer

13 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Oh, so had he been a boot leg walk on at Tech with little to no stats, he would have been offered an opportunity at Wazzou? 

Maybe.  
If he had a firm grasp on how the offense runs, but not the ability he had... think like Shanbour.  I would not be surprised to see Shanbour become a fantastic offensive coach some day.
Littrell was just a fullback in Leach's system, not some superstar RB.  But he understands the offense so well that he can insert his own wrinkles and make it his own, and has demonstrated his system is extremely effective everywhere he's been.   I bet Littrell is hoping Harrell has the same understanding.  And he might.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

Hey, we could take this guy back if you wanted.  

0219509.jpg

This is WAY over the top!  I just...I just...I can't comprehend why you would even say something like that.   You are a cruel, cruel individual....do you kick puppies too??!!

@Harry is this a ban-able offense??

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Spending a whole game having to sit next to him in the press box.....listening to his "coaching insights".

Kind of like how Stix has spent several seasons sitting in front of me listening to my "fan insights"...........;-)

Included in this, emmitt should have to elbow Flanigan before every call and say, "Pass the ball."