What's going on with Apogee deal?

Harry

Saw this on twitter and it got me to thinking about Apogee....

What's the latest on our relationship with Apogee and the naming rights etc?  Anyone know?  I know it was a long term (20 year 20 million) deal but it seems like there would could be some future negotiations possibilities down the road. 

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Thing to remember is that it was a services in kind deal.  Little or no actual cash involved. The University uses their resnet services.

Makes me wonder if we could do a "Apogee Stadium at X Field" type of deal.  Sort of like "Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Joe Jamail Field".

There is a lot of growth in DFW now and it would be cool if we were able to leverage another corporate or name sponsor into the stadium to help us build facilities.

I just think naming rights need to be looked at constantly.  The IPF being another example. 

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Makes me wonder if we could do a "Apogee Stadium at X Field" type of deal.  Sort of like "Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium at Joe Jamail Field".

There is a lot of growth in DFW now and it would be cool if we were able to leverage another corporate or name sponsor into the stadium to help us build facilities.

I just think naming rights need to be looked at constantly.  The IPF being another example. 

The Apogee contract would need to be looked at thoroughly, but if there is nothing stating otherwise this would be smart to happen. Any and all streams of revenue need to be taken advantage of. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

So is money that would have been spent on internet access at NT being paid by the Apogee contract with Athletics ?  And if so, is the University paying Athletics what would have been paid to apogee by the University ?

You just gave a great example of why it is som complex to try and compare athletic budgets between schools. Everyone counts differently, especially when you start factoring in "inkind" deals. 

Here is what Wikipedia says about the naming rights deal.   While my memory is pretty foggy I remember the naming rights deal was a combination of cash and "in kind" contrubutions from Apogee.

On August 11, 2011, UNT announced a deal with Austin-based ResNet provider Apogee for the naming rights to the new stadium, and the name was changed to "Apogee Stadium".[35] According to the contract, Apogee will pay $11.8 million of the $20 million deal in cash over 20 years, including graduated annual payments beginning at $312,000 and ending in three payments of $1 million. The remaining $8.29 million will be in the form of in-kind services. As part of the contract, Apogee also received one luxury suite in the new stadium and premium tickets to other UNT events.[36]

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Huff said:

Here is what Wikipedia says about the naming rights deal.   While my memory is pretty foggy I remember the naming rights deal was a combination of cash and "in kind" contrubutions from Apogee.

On August 11, 2011, UNT announced a deal with Austin-based ResNet provider Apogee for the naming rights to the new stadium, and the name was changed to "Apogee Stadium".[35] According to the contract, Apogee will pay $11.8 million of the $20 million deal in cash over 20 years, including graduated annual payments beginning at $312,000 and ending in three payments of $1 million. The remaining $8.29 million will be in the form of in-kind services. As part of the contract, Apogee also received one luxury suite in the new stadium and premium tickets to other UNT events.[36]

That is actually a pretty decent deal, particularly as there is more cash as the deal goes on, making sure the in-kind service does not deteriorate without having something else in hand.

• Upvote 1

Naming rights are available for the Field at Apogee Stadium, the Athletic Administration Building, and probably the yet to be built indoor practice facility as well as  proposed base ball park and new basketball arena. In fact you could probably name a parking lot for the right price.During  Corky Nelson's tenure someone donated paint to freshen Fouts Field in exchange for designing a new eagle logo . If memory serves it was a flying eagle with a yellow ring around it.I don't know if brushes were included with the paint.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 8:40 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

It's a $20 million deal that athletes sees half.  Even that half maybe more than any other deal we could have gotten.  If the current leadership was in place back then I think the deal would have been better for athletics. 

I really doubt it.  The naming rights were actually a pretty good deal for NT compared to what other peer programs can get.  

I don't understand your logic.   There are millions of dollars every year transferred to the athletic department by the university to keep the program afloat.  On a book basis the amount of Apogee services secured by the naming agreement would reduce that amount.   So the AD gets full credit whether cash or services to the university.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1