Manchester Arena blast: 19 dead and about 50 hurt

Nineteen people have been killed and about 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.

Police were called to reports of an explosion at the venue at about 22:35 BST following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande. 

The cause of the blast is unknown but the counter terrorism experts are treating it as a possible terrorist incident.

Greater Manchester Police is working to set up a contact number for relatives.

Officers have told the BBC there is a second suspect device near where the first explosion occurred.

Reporters were moved away from the scene and were told a controlled explosion was imminent.

read more:  https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-manchester-40007886#pt0-145256

I spent last weekend at Wildflower. There had to be close to 20,000 people packed in there for Lynryd Skynyrd's Saturday night show. The majority stood for the 1 1/2 hour concert (one of the very best I have ever seen btw). There was a large security and police presence all three days and I found myself thinking "What do they know that I don't ?".

Events like Wildflower, Bedford Blues, Denton Arts & Jazz, Main Street Ft. Worth, etc., have been a way of life for me but they are targets of opportunity for the bad guys. I pray to God that crap like in the article Harry posted doesn't begin happening here more frequently but I'm afraid it is only a matter of time. Even tailgating seems like a pretty soft target.

• Upvote 2

In cases like this, they don't care about making  people sympathetic to their cause. Some just want to kill infidels. If nothing else they view that reducing the number of Christians (or anyone non muslim) assists in increasing the percentage of muslims in the world. Not to mention it's a attack on the future generation of the infidels.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, GTWT said:

What's wrong with these people?  Do they really think killing children will make people sympathetic to their cause?

I don't think they are after sympathy. Rather, they are using violence and fear as a means to bend people towards their viewpoint/beliefs. Rarely does this ever work.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for all those who think somehow we can love and hugs ourselves to safety. How many people will it take to be killed or maimed before enough is enough? At what point do people start to realize the  extremist are not here to coexist with us? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, GTWT said:

Last night more were killed in London. 

Really makes one wonder how good the UK is at gather intelligence and acting on said intelligence to potential terrorists. Three attacks in three months.

Saw it trending on FB asking for the Theresa May to resign. Looks like the citizens of the UK are starting to suffer from things like cuts to the PD and security/intelligence departments.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Really makes one wonder how good the UK is at gather intelligence and acting on said intelligence to potential terrorists. Three attacks in three months.

Saw it trending on FB asking for the Theresa May to resign. Looks like the citizens of the UK are starting to suffer from things like cuts to the PD and security/intelligence departments.

Huh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/5/2017 at 9:22 AM, UNTLifer said:

Curious, but based on these events, what are our poster's opinions on the proposed travel bans?

The roll out of it killed it, if they had better plan at the start it would have helped. 

I fully support it because it's not a ban. It's just a 90 day freeze and reviews how to verify and check these individuals that are coming from locations that don't have a fully functional GOVT. 

People doesn't seem to realize and some even discount it, but Trump has been negotiating with the entire public and even the world since he announced he was running. Saying he would china a currency manipulator was his way of saying help with North Korea or ill call you out. 

Trump saying Muslim Ban was to get headlines because any type of press is good press, but he was never going to ban people because of their religion. The travel ban was never about being Muslim because the vast # of people who are Muslim live in SE Asia and none of those were on the list but maybe it should be considered now with what is going on in the Philippines.

Sorry for the rant, but I do agree with it because as of now we have no idea who these individuals are or if they really claim to be who they are. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Makes it pretty hard to defend him when he is just that stupid and his supporters are just that gullible.

So board admins are exempt from the instructions to be polite to each other?

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Makes it pretty hard to defend him when he is just that stupid and his supporters are just that gullible.

You can call people gullible for voting for him, but he only got elected because he was running against that moron of a candidate HRC.

She should be in jail for the sever and the classified information that was on there, let alone the emails that she sent out with classified information. 

12 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

He can call it a BAN because it is what he said to his die-hard supporters. But if you look at the information and what the EO was then you would see that it is not a BAN. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Rudy said:

Oh, so you calling fellow board members names, in this case, gullible, being polite? 

No that just means what I want to say is getting severely stifled but I'm okay with that. And if your skin is so soft that you can't accept being lumped into a group that I may or may not think is "gullible" then you might need to learn how to pull your britches up. Its like what btg just said.... it's stupid talking points and it's baseless but I sure as hell don't take any offense by it. Of course I don't think much of her core supporters either

1 hour ago, All About UNT said:

Its like what btg just said.... it's stupid talking points and it's baseless but I sure as hell don't take any offense by it. Of course I don't think much of her core supporters either

Just to clarify, you think her server, sending classified documents, etc... are baseless and stupid talking points?  I find it interesting that people are still trying to lump Russia and Trump together yet ignore the fact that the Clinton Foundation was accepting large "donations" from foreign governments that all of a sudden dried up when she lost the election.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Oh, don't worry, my skin isn't soft, my britches are pulled up, and I'm no safe spacer. I'm just pointing out that if you're going to have "admin" under your screen name, you should abide by the same rules you warn us to follow.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

On 6/5/2017 at 7:50 AM, UNTFan23 said:

I don't think it's specifically an issue with their intel. I think it's mostly a combination of 2 things that make gathering and using intel more difficult.

First, the more open immigration policies in many EU countries, as well as the ease of travel, have allowed a lot of people in for a long time...and even with some members leaving the EU, the damage is already done. Those people have gotten in and have recruited from those countries' citizens to make it harder to appropriately tag the problems.

Secondly...geography. Most people, especially in the Americas, don't realize how close the Middle East is to Europe. Even with heightened security measures, it's quicker and easier for someone to sneak in there than it is for them to cross oceans to get to their target.

In short: our geography and tougher immigration and entrance policies (no matter how soft some people claim they are) have made it much more difficult for these people to engage in these quick, small attacks. Plus...our citizens have lots of guns. Even the people with illegal ones who are involved with drugs and other major problems would put a bullet into the head of anyone trying a massacre like the bridge stabbings if it happened here. I'm not supporting illegal firearms or the drug trade, but am pointing out that San Bernadino and such take place where the culprits know it's unlikely to encounter anyone with a firearm until police arrive and they can do maximum damage. Try it in College Station and you won't get 2 shots off. Do it in the inner city where drugs and gang violence are a problem...even our criminals will protect their community against a terrorist attack.

The war on terror continues...but we have the upper hand.

• Upvote 2