Give me Liberty or give me death!

Brett Vito

25 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Dumb. 

I have to strongly disagree agree. Like Wren said the army games are hard on the team. I also think when the whole plan is rolled out this will be a great thing. We actually have an AD now that has a Plan we just have to be paitent and let it unfold. North Texas has made some huge strides in last 12 months once they all come to light the fan base will be extremely happy

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 8

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I have to strongly disagree agree. Like Wren said the army games are hard on the team. I also think when the whole plan is rolled out this will be a great thing. We actually have an AD now that has a Plan we just have to be paitent and let it unfold. North Texas has made some huge strides in last 12 months once they all come to light the fan base will be extremely happy

The rest of the plan is not contingent on this change. We swapped Army for Liberty, with no sweeteners or concessions, and it's dumb. 

Anything else that happens didn't need this to happen. We can see it in isolation, since we literally swapped A for B, and I think it's dumb as hell. 

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why in the hell don't you folks wait and see what Wren is working on before you make your uninformed comments. I amazes me how quick so many are to cut things down before they know the whole story. 

Whatever else is happening DIDN'T NEED THIS TO HAPPEN. If we're about to announce something else, great! I can't wait for good news. 

But this is a closed book. If we announce tomorrow that we've got a home and home with Texas... Great! But this still sucks, and dropping Army to make Liberty happen is still dumb and bad. And completely irrelevant and unnecessary to making that or any other  future series happen. 

2 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Whatever else is happening DIDN'T NEED THIS TO HAPPEN. If we're about to announce something else, great! I can't wait for good news. 

But this is a closed book. If we announce tomorrow that we've got a home and home with Texas... Great! But this still sucks, and dropping Army to make Liberty happen is still dumb and bad. And completely irrelevant and unnecessary to making that or any other  future series happen. 

Unless Army could not move a date and the other "deal" Wren is working on needed that date????

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

18 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

The rest of the plan is not contingent on this change. We swapped Army for Liberty, with no sweeteners or concessions, and it's dumb. 

Anything else that happens didn't need this to happen. We can see it in isolation, since we literally swapped A for B, and I think it's dumb as hell. 

Are you sure or making an assumption?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

Unless Army could not move a date and the other "deal" Wren is working on needed that date????

We were on the road at Army next year, home against them in 2021. Now, we're on the road against Liberty next year, home against them in 2021. 

2018 schedule isn't going to change to get us a better series. We're already on the hook to pay Incarnate Word and take a check from Arkansas. The only other OOC game that year is home against SMU, and I don't see us dropping or swapping that. 

2021 is the same thing. We're already on the hook to pay Rhode Island, and take a check from Missouri. And we're on the road at SMU. 

If the 2022 schedule changes, or if we add another series like Tech for 2059 (or whenever), it's completely independent of this switch. This didn't open up a date, this didn't swap a road for a home or anything that could allow us to juggle other 2018 and 2021 games or take a road game at a desperate lower P5 school in exchange for a home game of our own. 

We had Army, now we've got Liberty. Other stuff might happen that's completely independent of that change, but at the end of the day, Army out and Liberty in. And I think it sucks. 

The rationalization is that playing Army is a burden in terms of travel, preparation, scheme, and dangerous, injury-prone style of attack. So, thank goodness we're not playing against Army in OOC anymore, I suppose. 

Except for 2019 and 2020, of course. 

I blame Tulsa for all of this. Makes perfect sense if any of the rest of it does. 

8 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Liberty is but a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Clearing out dates from the Army series helps create opportunities to schedule some schools NT fans hopefully are still interested in.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

We were on the road at Army next year, home against them in 2021. Now, we're on the road against Liberty next year, home against them in 2021. 

2018 schedule isn't going to change to get us a better series. We're already on the hook to pay Incarnate Word and take a check from Arkansas. The only other OOC game that year is home against SMU, and I don't see us dropping or swapping that. 

2021 is the same thing. We're already on the hook to pay Rhode Island, and take a check from Missouri. And we're on the road at SMU. 

If the 2022 schedule changes, or if we add another series like Tech for 2059 (or whenever), it's completely independent of this switch. This didn't open up a date, this didn't swap a road for a home or anything that could allow us to juggle other 2018 and 2021 games or take a road game at a desperate lower P5 school in exchange for a home game of our own. 

We had Army, now we've got Liberty. Other stuff might happen that's completely independent of that change, but at the end of the day, Army out and Liberty in. And I think it sucks. 

The rationalization is that playing Army is a burden in terms of travel, preparation, scheme, and dangerous, injury-prone style of attack. So, thank goodness we're not playing against Army in OOC anymore, I suppose. 

Except for 2019 and 2020, of course. 

I blame Tulsa for all of this. Makes perfect sense if any of the rest of it does. 

I think Tulsa is the easy school to blame here, but I've got my eye on that rascally Northern Arizona.

• Upvote 4

Just now, GangGreen said:

I'd rather watch us play Army than Liberty Christian.

If it works out, I'm sure fans will appreciate the two opponents Wren is working on getting agreements with.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Liberty is but a small piece of a bigger puzzle. Clearing out dates from the Army series helps create opportunities to schedule some schools NT fans hopefully are still interested in.

This changes nothing, nothing, nothing about "available dates". 

According to the linked story, we were playing Army on 9/8/18 and Incarnate Word on 9/22/18. Now, we play Incarnate Word on 9/8 and Liberty on 9/22. In 2021, we played Army on 10/9, now we play Liberty on 10/9. 

Anything else that happens didn't need this to happen, because we literally just shifted existing games around on already set dates. 

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'm disappointed to cancel the two Army games

Agreed.  But if it ultimately helps us land a winnable p5 game home + home AND helps us get Apogee to finally sell out I'm game...

Just now, TheTastyGreek said:

This changes nothing, nothing, nothing about "available dates". 

According to the linked story, we were playing Army on 9/8/18 and Incarnate Word on 9/22/18. Now, we play Incarnate Word on 9/8 and Liberty on 9/22. In 2021, we played Army on 10/9, now we play Liberty on 10/9. 

Anything else that happens didn't need this to happen, because we literally just shifted existing games around on already set dates. 

We have a hole in 2019 now, which didn't exist prior to today's announcement. I wonder who we'll use to add in a fourth OOC opponent.

Again, Liberty is just a piece to a puzzle.

To be honest, I won't be shocked if we don't play out any of the remaining games of the Army series.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

We have a hole in 2019 now, which didn't exist prior to today's announcement. I wonder who we'll use to add in a fourth OOC opponent.

Again, Liberty is just a piece to a puzzle.

To be honest, I won't be shocked if we don't play out any of the remaining games of the Army series.

What hole? We dropped 2018 and 2021 according to the Liberty site that FOIA'd the contract. Everything else shows Army is still live for 2019 and 2020. 

3 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

What hole? We dropped 2018 and 2021 according to the Liberty site that FOIA'd the contract. Everything else shows Army is still live for 2019 and 2020. 

@Brett Vito had 2019 as being dropped from the schedule even though the Liberty series is for 2018 and 2021. That's what I'm going off of unless Brett has the years wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

@Brett Vito had 2019 as being dropped from the schedule even though the Liberty series is for 2018 and 2021. That's what I'm going off of unless Brett has the years wrong.

2019 was cleared for something. Seems logical to cancel a set of games in a series instead of just one game. Liberty was able to fill the void left in 2018.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Dropping Army was more about winning other games. Having to stop your defense moddway through the season to train for a triple option team is a killer. This is alot bigger move than swapping A and B. We just have to come to realization that we have a real AD now with a game plan. And is making moves for bigger picture and for future and not just throwing darts 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3