DRC: One more time -- A look at UNT's scheduling moves

Brett Vito

I would have gladly taken Arkansas, Iowa, ATM, or Wisconsin off the schedule for a pay date of 1.32M for a probable win as our "body bag" game. And until those games are off the schedule we're not trying to take them off the schedule, Brett. They're booked up through 2020. 

As for the conflicting sites having opposing dates of this...That is why this has been in question. So there was no need for the bold and caps lock in your write up like a 15-year old boy hate blogging on the Internet. 

Oh and a Tulane, Tulsa, and even UH would not be worthwhile in comparison to Army; specifically Tulsa or Tulane. Especially if it meant adding Liberty. We practically have that series on the docket in Memphis. 

Thanks for the triple check though. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 16

44 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I would have gladly taken Arkansas, Iowa, ATM, or Wisconsin off the schedule for a pay date of 1.32M for a probable win as our "body bag" game. And until those games are off the schedule we're not trying to take them off the schedule, Brett. They're booked up through 2020. 

As for the conflicting sites having opposing dates of this...That is why this has been in question. So there was no need for the bold and caps lock in your write up like a 15-year old boy hate blogging on the Internet. 

Oh and a Tulane, Tulsa, and even UH would not be worthwhile in comparison to Army; specifically Tulsa or Tulane. Especially if it meant adding Liberty. We practically have that series on the docket in Memphis. 

Thanks for the triple check though. 

He wrote it in bold because the sites are WRONG, but thick skulled people like you can't seem to understand that. Brett is trying to say what I have been for the past week. Wait and see what Wren has planned before calling this a disaster. Maybe you would have a better understanding if you had the guts to go to a caravan and talk to Wren yourself. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

59 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Is army still theoretically on the 2021 schedule then? Five OOC games still on the schedule? Could we potentially keep army and drop whatever the hell Rhode Island incarnate University of Abilene?

I think the 2021 Army game will be rescheduled some time after 2021 where we currently have openings. This is what I have past 2021:

• 09/06 – at SMU

• Upvote 1

Ok, so its not a straight up deal. Maybe WB really has something up his sleeve. But there is also a chance UNT will be left holding the bag, should Liberty buy out of the 2021 game. Considering how much money Liberty is throwing around, that seems not all that impossible.

Also getting rid of the most imeadiate army games probably means WB (and SL) really HATE the army game for its effect on the team. Expect WB to get rid of the remaining army games as well.

And yes, right now we only have 5 home games in 2019 with not actually all that much time to get a 6th one (these kind of decisions usually get made more than two years before the game). And that game better be a home game and better be as interesting as army so time to prove for WB that he really does have something up his sleeve.

p.s. Mr Vito if you are reading this I have a question since you have the contract: what are the stipulations for Liberty to buy the game at UNT out? Could the contract be posted?

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, outoftown said:

And yes, right now we only have 5 home games in 2019 with not actually all that much time to get a 6th one (these kind of decisions usually get made more than two years before the game). And that game better be a home game and better be as interesting as army so time to prove for WB that he really does have something up his sleeve.

With a little more clarity on the situation, I can't imagine that this isn't going to be some surprise home game. It's got to at least be a decent G5 though since Abilene is the other home game. 

• Upvote 1

So wait a second.I understand  trying to eliminate Million Dollar roadkill  games against P5 programs. However,in what world do we avoid a Million Dollar road game against G5 programs like Liberty? In addition, I don't consider Houston or programs at the top of G5 schools a top notch opponent to replace Army.Lets just hope it plays out well for UNT.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He wrote it in bold because the sites are WRONG, but thick skulled people like you can't seem to understand that. Brett is trying to say what I have been for the past week. Wait and see what Wren has planned before calling this a disaster. Maybe you would have a better understanding if you had the guts to go to a caravan and talk to Wren yourself. 

Image result for yeah ok gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Image result for laughing hysterically gif

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

We dump Army but keep Abilene Christian? Pure stupidity in my opinion. Master plan my ass, that's just dumb. They want the team to have better optics and they preserve Abilene Christian on the schedule over Army. Great move...

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

7 hours ago, UNTexas said:

We dump Army but keep Abilene Christian? Pure stupidity in my opinion. Master plan my ass, that's just dumb. They want the team to have better optics and they preserve Abilene Christian on the schedule over Army. Great move...

Abilene Christian is a paycheck game (as are all of the FCS games RV scheduled).   We would likely have to buy our way out of that game.   The Army series was likely a deal with no financial impact.
Also, apparently Littrell is on-board with McCarney's idea of, "If we're going to play a P5 team away, we need to bring a FCS team in to offset".   So don't be surprised to not only see the FCS games we've scheduled actually happen, but to see more of them scheduled in the future.

**I didn't -1 you**

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, wardly said:

So wait a second.I understand  trying to eliminate Million Dollar roadkill  games against P5 programs. However,in what world do we avoid a Million Dollar road game against G5 programs like Liberty? In addition, I don't consider Houston or programs at the top of G5 schools a top notch opponent to replace Army.Lets just hope it plays out well for UNT.

Who says that deal was on the table for us? ODU is a more local opponent for them with whom they have history. They really wanted a home game for their opener, likely with a team people are interested to watch and might bring some fans. I kind of doubt we fit the criteria of what they wanted from that game, ODU did.

• Upvote 1

Brent stated that UNT was trying to get away from Million Dollar "pay day deals". I was using ODU/Liberty as a example of big money road games that we should not avoid if given the chance. I am sure we were not offered the same deal as ODU was, simply because for a G5 program we bring nothing to the table that would warrant that type of money.However, if by chance UNT was offered we should accept, as its not like a road kill game against LSU.

43 minutes ago, wardly said:

Brent stated that UNT was trying to get away from Million Dollar "pay day deals". I was using ODU/Liberty as a example of big money road games that we should not avoid if given the chance. I am sure we were not offered the same deal as ODU was, simply because for a G5 program we bring nothing to the table that would warrant that type of money.However, if by chance UNT was offered we should accept, as its not like a road kill game against LSU.

We're not getting away from paycheck games. That's just more hocus pocus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I think we stay at one paycheck game per year unless alumni giving increases to the point that it is not a financial necessity.[about the same time pigs fly]

Think too many people have a belief that being a donor means 1,000s of dollars if 250,000 alums gave 100 bucks that's 25,000,000 dollars.  Granted it'd have to be earmarked for athletics but damn that isn't a big ask.  

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Think too many people have a belief that being a donor means 1,000s of dollars if 250,000 alums gave 100 bucks that's 25,000,000 dollars.  Granted it'd have to be earmarked for athletics but damn that isn't a big ask.  

It's a giant ask for any of it to be earmarked for athletics only here.

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It's a giant ask for any of it to be earmarked for athletics only here.

No doubt, but imagine if they could get even a fraction of that 20-30,000 100 dollar donors.  Nothing wrong with Strength in numbers. 

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

No doubt, but imagine if they could get even a fraction of that 20-30,000 100 dollar donors.  Nothing wrong with Strength in numbers. 

I think that's the current math it would take to get our athletic department away from payday games. 30k x 100. If I recall we we're around 1k in the MGC the last time numbers were released. Admissions would have to get involved for these numbers to drastically improve. But a lot of our renowned programs are music related, so it makes it that much difficult. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I think that's the current math it would take to get our athletic department away from payday games. 30k x 100. If I recall we we're around 1k in the MGC the last time numbers were released. Admissions would have to get involved for these numbers to drastically improve. But a lot of our renowned programs are music related, so it makes it that much difficult. 

Hey, want music to get better fund football, make money at football, get more money for your program, very simple.   Football has to be your $$ maker

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Hey, want music to get better fund football, make money at football, get more money for your program, very simple.   Football has to be your $$ maker

I get that. But countless of thousands of music and art major alum don't get it and they don't care to get it. For a wrench to be wedged into the fan, admissions has to get involved. But it's a double edge sword since our music and art programs are indeed top notch. Football is your money maker, but music is your national brand, so to speak. Many bridges would be burned if we started dropping the allowed enrollment into those programs and dropping admission standards into the business school, typically where you find a ton of sport junkies. 

Congrats on the little by the way. KRAM and I are friends on Facebook and he liked it, so I saw it. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I get that. But countless of thousands of music and art major alum don't get it and they don't care to get it. For a wrench to be wedged into the fan, admissions has to get involved. But it's a double edge sword since our music and art programs are indeed top notch. Football is your money maker, but music is your national brand, so to speak. Many bridges would be burned if we started dropping the allowed enrollment into those programs and dropping admission standards into the business school, typically where you find a ton of sport junkies. 

Congrats on the little by the way. KRAM and I are friends on Facebook and he liked it, so I saw it. 

Waiting for him to get big enough to get him in his Mena Green gear.  Thanks!