18' WR, Henry Thomas (Fort Bend Marshall) - not rated

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

UNT90 has hacked someones account!

I'm just pointing out the fact that Seth Littrell has been subpar when it comes to recruiting, especially when battling for kids with other FBS offers. 

I'm not making up crazy conspiracy theories about how Wren Baker is in bed with the Russians and colluding to create an army of complacent athlete bots that will dismantle the AD from the inside using sporks from the cafeteria.

Seth Littrell's recruiting is bad. Period. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm just pointing out the fact that Seth Littrell has been subpar when it comes to recruiting, especially when battling for kids with other FBS offers. 

I'm not making up crazy conspiracy theories about how Wren Baker is in bed with the Russians and colluding to create an army of complacent athlete bots that will dismantle the AD from the inside using sporks from the cafeteria.

Seth Littrell's recruiting is bad. Period. 

Attn: Mods,

MGNation92 is sharing too much information.   Terminate immediately.

• Upvote 2

Question: Why is it that these young men from the Houston area seem to want to sign with their hometown team?  Why don't they want to get away and go off to college?  That is what we hear when kids from Denton and towns close by choose to go off to school.  What has Houston done to make it attractive for these young men to stay home?  I think the answer is fairly obvious and we are just starting to do the same.

The interesting thing to note is that Houston credits Dana Dimel's recruiting classes and then the hiring of Art Briles as the start of the turn around.  Their 2002 recruiting class was the one that is credited with turning the program around, ranked first in CUSA coming off of an 0-11 record, although Dimel was let go at the end of that season.  If you look at the 2002 class, it is full of kids from the Houston/SE Texas area with some JUCO's sprinkled in.  

We have to rebuild our relationships with the coaches in our area.  We have to claim our portion of the state, say DFW area north to the OK borderr, west to Wichita Falls and east to the LA border.  Sprinkle in kids from Houston, Central TX, southern OK, etc...  We have to make North Texas the public university of our portion of the state and sell the vision to these kids, and we have to start winning.  As fans and alums, we have to support this program like never before with memberships to the MGC and season tickets.  We have to continue to partner with Denton and Denton businesses making Fall Saturdays UNT Football Days.  We have to make this a sustained effort, because our success during the Fry era and prior is lost on kids today.  We have roughly 40 years of poor support and poor results to overcome.  I think the right administration, AD and coaching staff are finally in place, so let the work begin.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Uh, we've been playing intercollegiate football  for 100 years.  What is this "pattern" you speak of?

I didn't say we did establish a pattern of winning. I said we must establish. I think it is going in the right direction with Littrell.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Question: Why is it that these young men from the Houston area seem to want to sign with their hometown team?  Why don't they want to get away and go off to college?  That is what we hear when kids from Denton and towns close by choose to go off to school.  What has Houston done to make it attractive for these young men to stay home?  I think the answer is fairly obvious and we are just starting to do the same.

The interesting thing to note is that Houston credits Dana Dimel's recruiting classes and then the hiring of Art Briles as the start of the turn around.  Their 2002 recruiting class was the one that is credited with turning the program around, ranked first in CUSA coming off of an 0-11 record, although Dimel was let go at the end of that season.  If you look at the 2002 class, it is full of kids from the Houston/SE Texas area with some JUCO's sprinkled in.  

We have to rebuild our relationships with the coaches in our area.  We have to claim our portion of the state, say DFW area north to the OK borderr, west to Wichita Falls and east to the LA border.  Sprinkle in kids from Houston, Central TX, southern OK, etc...  We have to make North Texas the public university of our portion of the state and sell the vision to these kids, and we have to start winning.  As fans and alums, we have to support this program like never before with memberships to the MGC and season tickets.  We have to continue to partner with Denton and Denton businesses making Fall Saturdays UNT Football Days.  We have to make this a sustained effort, because our success during the Fry era and prior is lost on kids today.  We have roughly 40 years of poor support and poor results to overcome.  I think the right administration, AD and coaching staff are finally in place, so let the work begin.

It's because of kids these days want to go out and be on their own. I'm sure when everyone was younger they wanted to go experience new things and be away from home. That is what hurts us with local products, that and them being fully aware of the struggles in the recent history here with UNT. Also, it doesn't help that UNT is almost always viewed as the "backup" school for kids as well. 

Yes UNT is great, but high school kids look at the name of the school and not the actual education level. Kids would rather go to Baylor or TCU, or even Tech because they are viewed as bigger names. When I was in HS, kids would rather go out of state to someone like OSU or OU over going to UNT because of the name alone. 

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It's because of kids these days want to go out and be on their own. I'm sure when everyone was younger they wanted to go experience new things and be away from home. That is what hurts us with local products, that and them being fully aware of the struggles in the recent history here with UNT. Also, it doesn't help that UNT is almost always viewed as the "backup" school for kids as well. 

Yes UNT is great, but high school kids look at the name of the school and not the actual education level. Kids would rather go to Baylor or TCU, or even Tech because they are viewed as bigger names. When I was in HS, kids would rather go out of state to someone like OSU or OU over going to UNT because of the name alone. 

Your first sentence contradicts what is happening at Houston and why I made my post about building with kids from our backyard, just like UH has.  Kids in Houston want to play for the Cougars, and we need to make kids in our area feel the same about us hence my last sentence.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Your first sentence contradicts what is happening at Houston and why I made my post about building with kids from our backyard, just like UH has.  Kids in Houston want to play for the Cougars, and we need to make kids in our area feel the same about us hence my last sentence.

Houston is huge, and I have no idea how UH is viewed but UNT is viewed as the back up to the likes of TCU and SMU in DFW. But kids are likely to pass on UNT because of the lack of success with getting kids to the pros, on top of the other off things as well.

Also, it doesn't hurt that UH hired Herman and gave him the tools to build something, along with Herman having Ties to Texas and bringing in coaches with ties as well. Herman was the right coach, who got the benefit as well as coming in after Briles and Sumlin, who made UH an offensive powerhouse. If SL is Briles or even Sumlin ( from his UH days) then this is the start of something, but UNT as an entire school needs to change how it is viewed. UNT has to find a way to get out of being the bridesmaid school and fall back for people.

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I think there is a mis-conception about the complaining of "local" talent staying here.  We do well recruiting the DFW area (think DeSoto, Arlington, FW, etc...).  Some would consider that "local" talent, and in geographical terms, they're right.
However, when I (and I assume others) talk about "local" talent, I'm talking about Denton-area players (Denton, Lake Dallas, Argyle, etc...)
UH is in the middle of a humongous city.  They're pulling players from all over the Houston-area like we do with DFW (Katy, Woodlands, Missouri City, etc...).  I imagine they have a more difficult time getting kids from their immediate area to stay and play at UH.

31 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think there is a mis-conception about the complaining of "local" talent staying here.  We do well recruiting the DFW area (think DeSoto, Arlington, FW, etc...).  Some would consider that "local" talent, and in geographical terms, they're right.
However, when I (and I assume others) talk about "local" talent, I'm talking about Denton-area players (Denton, Lake Dallas, Argyle, etc...)
UH is in the middle of a humongous city.  They're pulling players from all over the Houston-area like we do with DFW (Katy, Woodlands, Missouri City, etc...).  I imagine they have a more difficult time getting kids from their immediate area to stay and play at UH.

It's easier, he kid I know you live 4 blocks away, but you know Houston traffic blows so it'll take mom/dad at least 2 hours to get here.  Boom it's like going to school in another state lol

• Upvote 1

It's all about selling the "hometown."

Houston is a much larger area than Denton.   NT is not seen as "the" school that represents the DFW area, it's seen as a school that represents Denton.  

So right there UH starts out with a population that is 17.5 times bigger than NT to recruit.  Some of those kids will want to stay and rep the "hometown", but some won't.   So whatever the % of kids that are open to the hometown pitch, there is just a LOT more of them for UH to sell to than for NT to sell to.

Second, football players like the "tough" attitude.  Whatever you think of Houston, a lot of young people think of it as a tough town.  So it's a much easier sell to an 18 year old football player.  Stay in Houston and represent a tough area.

When you are selling Denton, you are selling... well not a tough town image.  How many 18 year old football players want to represent an area that is seen as artsy? 

--

In summary:

• Houston's image is a much easier sell to most 18 year old football players.
  • Of the kids open to a "hometown" approach to recruiting, UH has a hometown almost 20 times larger than Denton.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I also think UH is seen as the University of Houston for most of those areas (Kary, Woodlands, etc) by most recruit.

Most recruits in DeSoto, Arlignton, Etc don't see NT as the University of their area.  

UH was in the SWC, and has been much more successful in CFB and MBB than we ever were, so they branded with the area better. 

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I also think UH is seen as the University of Houston for most of those areas (Kary, Woodlands, etc) by most recruit.

Most recruits in DeSoto, Arlignton, Etc don't see NT as the University of their area.  

Hopefully the more DFW is referred to as "North Texas" in sports broadcasts like the recent Final Four, the more we would stand a chance at making this type of scenario come true for us.