18' OL (Guard) Kameron King (Marshal) - 3*

17 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Do you honestly believe the people of your generation would not be decommitting if they were committing months, even years in advance of their signing day? In your generation commitments didn't start occurring until after their senior football season was over, so there really was no time for decommitting. It was commit, then signing day would be there in about 40 days.

You are probably correct, and my parent's would have told me to be sure  and to really think everything through because, in the end, all you really have is your word.  They would have made me stick to my word.  

If you aren't ready to commit, then don't.  These kids want all the attention during the process.  They use every means of social media to insure the glare of the spotlight is directed at them.  They post when their "big decision" will be made, etc.... and then post their commitment for all too see.  Typically this is done by form letter where they think their coaches, parents, God, friends, teammates, etc... for their support during the process, again, garnering as much attention as possible.

Oh, then they decommit, again by form letter, and request that everyone now leave them alone and respect their decision to go back on their word. 

This isn't generational.  This is a problem with society today.  Nobody sticks to a commitment.  Just look around. We live in a throw away  society.  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You are probably correct, and my parent's would have told me to be sure  and to really think everything through because, in the end, all you really have is your word.  They would have made me stick to my word.  

If you aren't ready to commit, then don't.  These kids want all the attention during the process.  They use every means of social media to insure the glare of the spotlight is directed at them.  They post when their "big decision" will be made, etc.... and then post their commitment for all too see.  Typically this is done by form letter where they think their coaches, parents, God, friends, teammates, etc... for their support during the process, again, garnering as much attention as possible.

Oh, then they decommit, again by form letter, and request that everyone now leave them alone and respect their decision to go back on their word. 

This isn't generational.  This is a problem with society today.  Nobody sticks to a commitment.  Just look around. We live in a throw away  society.  

I don't think you understand the way the recruiting game is played.   There are 2 sides to this game.  The coaches do the same things to the recruits... recall the TE last year (name escapes me) that was left hanging with no offers because we told him we "weren't going to play TE's in this offense" (laughable, but he bought it).   If you're going to rail on a high school kid for 'not keeping his word', I wonder what you have to say about grown men doing the same thing in reverse to these kids?

To play the game well, these guys have to nail-down a good scholarship when it's there for them.   Otherwise, you might have a dude like Jaylon Darden; who had an offer from VATech, waited around, and watched that offer dry up because the coaching staff moved on.  If you play well, you can keep looking around while you know you have a solid option in your pocket.  King is playing the game.  Unfortunately, it appears UNT lost this one.

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Unofficial and official visits have to take attendance into consideration. Never let a prospect under any circumstance come to a game vs an East opponent unless that game is a definite big draw. Only schedule these visits vs West opponents, Homecoming, Service Academy, SMU, etc. It's a joke to let them come watch us play University of Alabama @ Birmingham Dragons. Or the hierarchy of Old Dominion Trucking Supplies. 

This is common sense stuff and this is how you lose out on players.  

I get the feeling. However there are sometimes practical matters standing in the way. Other coaches may be on the kid and it is important to get him in ASAP before someone can put pressure on. Then kids and the parents that may accompany them have schedules too, so if they can't make it for a certain date, then you kind of gotta do that. By your definition, the only decent home game UNT has had so far this season was UTSA. If the kid can't make it that day, you got to either wait til November or bring him in to a less ideal opponent. Also you don't want all your prime targets in on the same weekend, so you can give each of them more attention.

Edited by outoftown

11 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Unofficial and official visits have to take attendance into consideration. Never let a prospect under any circumstance come to a game vs an East opponent unless that game is a definite big draw. Only schedule these visits vs West opponents, Homecoming, Service Academy, SMU, etc. It's a joke to let them come watch us play University of Alabama @ Birmingham Dragons. Or the hierarchy of Old Dominion Trucking Supplies. 

UAB is a west opponent

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Have to think the depth that is RSing has to hurt, on top of the other current OL commits

Do you really think a high school recruit would be scared off by redshirting offensive linemen who he was higher rated than and much more higher recruited than, who have also yet to play a snap at the D1 level? If so, why would he go to a school that signed 5 offensive linemen last class, 4 of which were three stars?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Do you really think a high school recruit would be scared off by redshirting offensive linemen who he was higher rated than and much more higher recruited than, who have also yet to play a snap at the D1 level? If so, why would he go to a school that signed 5 offensive linemen last class, 4 of which were three stars?

Well you have to think depth with the # of OL, the youth are among the many other options.. plus JD has said he liked the recruiting process to much.