DRC: Police make fourth arrest in UNT basketball case

12 hours ago, Bullyballer said:

Andrew, I thought the same thing. Why keep putting Brice's picture next to the other guys? By now, I'm sure, Brett knows it is unlikely he is involved in any of the main crimes. Ridiculous 

Brett and the guys from the NT Daily have gone out of their way to mention that Brice was only arrested for marijuana "possession" and not involved with the more serious alleged crimes.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

18 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Brett and the guys from the NT Daily have gone out of their way to mention that Brice was only arrested for marijuana "possession" and not involved with the more serious alleged crimes.

Writing about it in an article, but still posting his mugshot next to the other guys defeats the purpose. He continues to be the face of this investigation, because he was the first person to turn himself in. Even though he's not part of the investigation. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words. They should limit his picture being associated with this and only address his involvement in the article. My opinion. If not, they will continue to do damage to him, beyond whats necessary.

And, I'm not sure what you mean by saying they've gone out of their way. They are doing what reporters do. I don't think they are doing him a favor by stating the facts. That's the job. 

Edited by Bullyballer
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Bullyballer said:

Writing about it in an article, but still posting his mugshot next to the other guys defeats the purpose. He continues to be the face of this investigation, because he was the first person to turn himself in. Even though he's not part of the investigation. Remember a picture is worth a thousand words. They should limit his picture being associated with this and only address his involvement in the article. My opinion. If not, they will continue to do damage to him, beyond whats necessary.

And, I'm not sure what you mean by saying they've gone out of their way. They are doing what reporters do. I don't think they are doing him a favor by stating the facts. That's the job. 

Brice is the by far the most well known of those involved in this case, although apparently all he did was get caught with marijuana while they were searching his apartment because of his roommate.  I too, think it is unfair to use his picture with every reported development in the case.

I do wonder why the prostitutes involved are listed as victims instead of criminals.  Doesn't sound like they were forced into this.  Maybe minors, but don't know why that couldn't be reported.   

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 5/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, GrandGreen said:

I do wonder why the prostitutes involved are listed as victims instead of criminals.  Doesn't sound like they were forced into this.  Maybe minors, but don't know why that couldn't be reported.   

I think some of the articles have references to one woman being sexually assaulted prior to being asked by Johnson to work for him.

• Upvote 2

On 5/13/2017 at 9:41 AM, Harry said:

I am still scratching my head on this deal and specifically what role Coach Terry has in it.  Feel like we need a flowchart or something to understand this.

If I correctly understood the affidavits, then he probably was a "customer" . Maybe also more, who knows.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

My other question is regarding Benford.  How does he skate on this?  Are you telling me he was unaware?  Hmmm.

I am not a Benford fan, but just because he was the coach doesn't mean that he knew that these guys were doing something illegal. People who do illegal things tend to not tell people in positions of authority that they are doing illegal things.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

I am not a Benford fan, but just because he was the coach doesn't mean that he knew that these guys were doing something illegal. People who do illegal things tend to not tell people in positions of authority that they are doing illegal things.

I understand and typically agree, but when a coach from another university is involved, two players, a team manager, etc... I just find it hard to believe that something of this nature was never leaked.

• Upvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

I understand and typically agree, but when a coach from another university is involved, two players, a team manager, etc... I just find it hard to believe that something of this nature was never leaked.

From the information we have, Benford was transitioning out of the job at the time that this all went down. Not sure that he was the HC at the time. Of course, that assumes that all this was happening for the first time and had not been an issue prior to Benford being let go.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dallas Carter people again ..... two of their players got A&M football in trouble when they had a summer "job" and did no work just collected money [ Slocum and staff had no knowledge of it but they got in trouble] and earlier it was Carter that defeated Permian then later had to forfeit their playoff games  because of some reason and I think they had already won state... There was another Carter scandal that I can't remember the details on... It seems best to not touch their athletes with a 10 foot pole..... 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

16 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Dallas Carter people again ..... two of their players got A&M football in trouble when they had a summer "job" and did no work just collected money [ Slocum and staff had no knowledge of it but they got in trouble] and earlier it was Carter that defeated Permian then later had to forfeit their playoff games  because of some reason and I think they had already won state... There was another Carter scandal that I can't remember the details on... It seems best to not touch their athletes with a 10 foot pole..... 

Am I missing something?  How does Dallas Carter factor in to this situation?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2017 at 9:38 AM, UNTLifer said:

Am I missing something?  How does Dallas Carter factor in to this situation?

quote: "Johnson, 29, played for Dallas Carter High School and then worked as a student assistant at Blinn College before joining UNT's program as a manager in 2015."

It seems a lot of their former athletes get into trouble... 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

46 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

quote: "Johnson, 29, played for Dallas Carter High School and then worked as a student assistant at Blinn College before joining UNT's program as a manager in 2015."

It seems a lot of their former athletes get into trouble... 

I'll take "Fallacies" for $200, Alex.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I'll take "Fallacies" for $200, Alex.

"And the answer is: 'Kids don’t respond to interim coaches like they would head coaches. Generally speaking that is the players’ worst academic semester. They are less focused in the weight room and in life. There are going to be more issues with behavior.' "

"What is: The fallacy of confusing the impact of a doomed coach and failed season with the impact of firing that coach mid-season.'

"Correct for $200! You still control the board."

"Let's take 'Funny Money' for $1.6 million"

On 5/15/2017 at 11:20 AM, UNTLifer said:

My other question is regarding Benford.  How does he skate on this?  Are you telling me he was unaware?  Hmmm.

Follow along...slowly, if necessary:
In a criminal investigation, there has to be some sort of evidence that a person is involved in some criminal activity in order for him or her (or, "other," not knowing the offical "CIS" status of Benford) to be, you know, investigated further. 

So, try putting one and one together here:  after over two months of investigation, perhaps...just perhaps...Benford hasn't been named by any witness or found in anyone's phone by way of text or computer by way of e-mail within the context of drugs or prostitution. 

That being so, your answer to why he is able to "skate on this" should be clear.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Follow along...slowly, if necessary:
In a criminal investigation, there has to be some sort of evidence that a person is involved in some criminal activity in order for him or her (or, "other," not knowing the offical "CIS" status of Benford) to be, you know, investigated further. 

So, try putting one and one together here:  after over two months of investigation, perhaps...just perhaps...Benford hasn't been named by any witness or found in anyone's phone by way of text or computer by way of e-mail within the context of drugs or prostitution. 

That being so, your answer to why he is able to "skate on this" should be clear.

Image result for blown mind

• Upvote 2