HOD Bowl 2017

KRAM1

17 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

The date for this year's HOD Bowl has been set for Dec. 26th.  Time not set as yet.

Lockheed Bowl in Ft. Worth set for Dec. 23rd with a 2:30pm kick.

I am hoping for the Ft Worth option this year.  Just because it's a different Bowl and I like the date better for pre-game activities, etc.

But, either would be great. 

Hit 7! Or.....more!

I like local bowls as well.  Either would work for me

The good thing is that 3 local bowls if UNT gets to the 6 wins in Frisco, Dallas, and Ft. Worth. 

Would love to see it in FTW and all of downtown FTW be green as well. But maybe even Frisco and have us do some practices over at the star as well, a solid way to help make recruits think twice about UNT. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The good thing is that 3 local bowls if UNT gets to the 6 wins in Frisco, Dallas, and Ft. Worth. 

Would love to see it in FTW and all of downtown FTW be green as well. But maybe even Frisco and have us do some practices over at the star as well, a solid way to help make recruits think twice about UNT. 

Playing in any bowl games is good for recruiting. Local bowls are best for our local fans to attend.

Once the IPF is built there will be absolutely no reason to have any kind of practices at The Star in Frisco.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Playing in any bowl game should be good for recruiting, but it sure did not help us last year.

I semi agree. Bowls help recruiting. It creates exposure. But 2 bowls every 10 years is pissing in the wind and has minimal effect. The most effective method of recruiting is having stud assistants on staff. Having a solid brand to recruit to makes the assistants job that much easier. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

HOD is scheduled to have a BIG12 team this season. If that is the case, I will prefer we go there.

If we can finish with a 7 win or better regular season, I could see us taking a very large crowd to face Texas, Tech, TCU, or Baylor in the historic Cotton Bowl. A win against one of those teams, would certainly improve recruiting for us, and place us squarely in the category of rapidly improving G5 programs.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wardly said:

Playing in any bowl game should be good for recruiting, but it sure did not help us last year.

?

The coaches weren't coming off a bowl game last year, they were trying to sell a team coming off a 1-win season.  The recruiting off the bowl game will be seen in the upcoming class.  So far, it looks like we're recruiting ahead of where we were this point last year.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, wardly said:

The bowl game was unlikely to have an impact in recruiting for last season. Most of the recruits it would have helped with were already committed by the time we played in the game. I look for the bowl game to help with recruiting in our current cycle. Early returns suggest that it has helped, but time will tell the whole story.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

The bowl game was unlikely to have an impact in recruiting for last season. Most of the recruits it would have helped with were already committed by the time we played in the game. I look for the bowl game to help with recruiting in our current cycle. Early returns suggest that it has helped, but time will tell the whole story.

Also, recall we secured several 3* recruits (Siggers, White, Darden) AFTER the bowl game.  I actually think it DID help.

I don't know what "early returns" you are speaking of, and to say that recruits had already committed before the HOD was played would apply to all bowl games.As poor a job in recruiting that our staff did last year only gives us one direction to go.UTSA and Texas State were coming off less that stellar seasons with 1st year coaches and got outstanding results. But as FOREVERAGLE  correctly stated,"time will tell."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, wardly said:

I don't know what "early returns" you are speaking of, and to say that recruits had already committed before the HOD was played would apply to all bowl games.As poor a job in recruiting that our staff did last year only gives us one direction to go.UTSA and Texas State were coming off less that stellar seasons with 1st year coaches and got outstanding results. But as FOREVERAGLE  correctly stated,"time will tell."

What very few want to admit on here is that recruiting here is much tougher than it is anywhere else in the state, save for El Paso.

The TX HS Coaches and parents of these recruits have zero respect for us. They think its the safety net choice, while also knowing that the program is only known for two bad things--losing and apathy. UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and every other CUSA West team don't have that combo to deal with.

• Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What very few want to admit on here is that recruiting here is much tougher than it is anywhere else in the state, save for El Paso.

The TX HS Coaches and parents of these recruits have zero respect for us. They think its the safety net choice, while also knowing that the program is only known for two bad things--losing and apathy. UTSA, Texas State, Rice, and every other CUSA West team don't have that combo to deal with.

I think with a little winning, it will be quickly forgotten. People have short memories. Say we go bowling for consecutive years, the tide will start start to turn. I think having in season success this year would also have a positive effect. Recruits would start to see legitimacy in the program, and we would get far more in season commits than in previous years. This football season could be very transformational for us as a program. History and North Texas fashion says then we'll probably go 3-9 or 4-8, and that must not happen. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Nothing personal, but that's a cop out. The 3 Texas schools you mentioned have little if any winning tradition and as much apathy as UNT. Expect more or you will always get less.

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, UNTFan23 said:

Playing in any bowl games is good for recruiting. Local bowls are best for our local fans to attend.

Once the IPF is built there will be absolutely no reason to have any kind of practices at The Star in Frisco.

I guarantee if we ever play in the bowl in Frisco that the teams will practice at the Star. It's almost certain at least one of the teams official team hotel will be the Omni at the Star. UNT isn't going to stay in Frisco then shuffle between Denton and Frisco just to practice at home. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

HOD is scheduled to have a BIG12 team this season. If that is the case, I will prefer we go there.

If we can finish with a 7 win or better regular season, I could see us taking a very large crowd to face Texas, Tech, TCU, or Baylor in the historic Cotton Bowl. A win against one of those teams, would certainly improve recruiting for us, and place us squarely in the category of rapidly improving G5 programs.

Or maybe Liberty will earn the chance to face us in one of the Metroplex bowls!  That should draw a great crowd & attract the interest of lots of fundamentalist high school players.

(sorry.  I'm going to be bitter for a while.)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

On 5/12/2017 at 10:04 AM, untjim1995 said:

Bull, the shine is off UTSA, the NT/UTSA was not close to well attended and that crowd was lost in the Alamodome.  Texas State last two football had announced attendance of 11,000 and 8000.   Rice  has tradition and money but very little fan support.  

I don't know what apathy you are talking about: administration, fans, students or alumni.   The administration has stepped up to up the athletic budget substantially.  As far as losing, NT is the only one of the Texas CUSA bunch plus TSSM that went to a bowl game.   

College athletics is all about winning, and NT has recently done little of that in football and MBB.   The only two sports most pay any attention to.    This is true for about every program and can be turned around relatively quickly if the right combination of hires and support can be maintained.   

I have followed this program way longer than most, and most of that time NT did just enough to hang around.   That has changed, give it some time.   I think the culture excuse is a crutch used primarily by failures like RV and McCarney.   It can't be their fault, it must be some mystical force.      

• Upvote 1