NCAA approves early signing period for football, prohibits oversigning

Preventing Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student's anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men's basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

THIS is what helps us out the most.  Did you know that Alabama has *96* quality control personnel?   They aren't coaches, because they would be illegal, you can only have one head coach and ten (as of this new rules session) assistants.  

But you can hire as many non coaches as you want.  It just so happens that a  lot of those 96 non coaches that Alabama has were connected and influential with top recruits that Alabama landed.  It's not just Alabama, all the big money schools do this to some degree.  

If you can't more or less buy a recruit by giving his coach/family friend/etc a job, that hurts the P5 schools a lot more than it hurts the G5 schools.  

33 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Would this have affected a Todd Dodge/Riley Dodge combo? 

In other words, does this also affect the 10 football coaches on staff?

I doubt that since Todd was hired, then recruited Riley.  Good question though.  Can coaches recruit their own kids to play for them????  Especially in the first 2 years of employment...

32 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I doubt that since Todd was hired, then recruited Riley.  Good question though.  Can coaches recruit their own kids to play for them????  Especially in the first 2 years of employment...

Well I don't mean specifically kids. I meant that, as a coach - not a staff member - could Dodge still have recruited Southlake (when he was hired) under this new rule.

More a curiosity than anything else.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Well I don't mean specifically kids. I meant that, as a coach - not a staff member - could Dodge still have recruited Southlake (when he was hired) under this new rule.

More a curiosity than anything else.

From the way, I understand it yes he could. The rule is aimed at schools that hire coaches into "off the field" positions

• Upvote 1

If you hire a person to one of the on-field positions they can recruit the old high school. It's just the quality control positions and operations positions.

Two-a-days go away but same number of practices are allowed, but you can open camp a week earlier. Talked to a few of our former players and when I mentioned no two-a-days they were like "wish that had been the rule when I played", then when I said camp can open a week earlier they felt two-a-days were better. :)

• Upvote 1

I think you will see it turn into a P5-G5 signing period.  The SEC types will sign about 85% of their class.  The C-USA types will sign about 50% of their class.  The second signing period will see the larger schools fighting over a few with each other and poaching a few from schools like us.

I like it.  If UT is going to offer, let them offer.  Put your $$ where your mouth is and quit stringing along kids that would be better off with us anyway.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2017 at 11:29 AM, GMG24 said:

Wish they would add over offering.  Saw something the other day multiple Big 10 schools have over 150 offers out and can only sign a max of 25

But everyone "over offers" because early on in the process everyone goes after the highly sought after recruits, who get dozens of offers from schools.

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

Coaches have to over offer. No team or coach in the country gets everyone they offer. There's no way you could wait until one player says no before you could offer the next player.

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

But everyone "over offers" because early on in the process everyone goes after the highly sought after recruits, who get dozens of offers from schools.

I am more talking about the schools putting out 180+ offers.   That comes out to essentially 7 offers per position in a really bad broken down way.  I get it and I know that its part of the process and a majority of the offers dry up quick, but just a part of the game I don't agree with. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Coaches have to over offer. No team or coach in the country gets everyone they offer. There's no way you could wait until one player says no before you could offer the next player.

Sure, but that is why thea early signing period is also good. You know how many you already signed and get a good and real look, not a mirrage where you think you got this and this guy signed. Also, I think the protection of the players from false offers is more important, as the consequences for them are bigger.