Home-home series w/ Liberty

On 5/3/2017 at 8:26 PM, NorthTexan95 said:

Were we looking for a team to play?  I thought our schedule was already set? 

On 5/3/2017 at 8:32 PM, TreeFiddy said:

Evidently we chopped off 2 games of the Army series. I gues those that were vocally against the Army series got their wish. Congrats, I guess. 

I believe  we are keeping  the 6 game series, but 2 games will be moved back to further dates 

Edited by @UNTSportsFan

14 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Liberty is full fledged FBS independent just like UMass, BYU, Army, NMSU, etc...

Incarnate Word is FCS. 

coached by former NT grad assistant & Buffalo head coach Turner Gill.

• Upvote 1

What a joke...worst possible team we could schedule a series with. A brand new FBS startup, not in our region, nowhere we recruit, against a team nobody has heard of or cares about, and wont get one mention from the DFW media beyond the final score.

Sorry, but Texas State makes a shit ton more sense, as do NMSU, Arky state, ULL, or ULM than f'ing Liberty.

I take it back on the media thing. Because Bob Sturm went to Liberty and he will talk shit incessantly on the number one rated station in DFW if Liberty wins. So I guess it can filed under all media coverage is supposedly good...

Sorry, but this is freaking embarrassing and awful at the same time.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 6

This is terrible and totally in the wrong direction. Maybe Liberty is paying some crazy Jerry Falwell money for the visit?? That's some recruiting story. You get to go play in a backwater in the middle of nowhere.

I went to a real school up the road from there. I've been to Lynchburg and LU. The place sucks!! This is really disappointing decisionmaking.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

So Wren has arranged two home and homes, one with Texas Tech and one with Liberty. Both series have the first game at their place. 

I hope that Wren knows what RV learned after a few of these "deals" - that the return game is not reciprocated unless it is very expensive to do so. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

What's not being asked is what is going to happen to those two games with Army? We have a six game series with them so right now only 3 games are currently schedule (we've already played one game of the six).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So let's see ...

After leading us to a much better season than most would have thought possible - Seth doesn't know what he's doing

After coming into an AD that was dysfunctional at best and trying to make changes - Wren doesn't know what he's doing

Should we start a pot to see how soon Grant proves he doesn't know what he's doing?

Just now, H-towngreen said:

I love it. Winable FBS game. At the end of the season no ones going to look back at 8 wins and be upset about that W.

look at how Boise got to where they were. WINNABLE GAMES! With winning comes more fans and better recruits 

Same for Kansas State

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So let's see ...

After leading us to a much better season than most would have thought possible - Seth doesn't know what he's doing

After coming into an AD that was dysfunctional at best and trying to make changes - Wren doesn't know what he's doing

Should we start a pot to see how soon Grant proves he doesn't know what he's doing?

I don't think a rookie football coach or AD have reached the status that they can't be criticized.   They are looking for easy victories, which never seems to work out for NT.  There are many, not me, who criticized RV for scheduling Army and SMU.  It would be hypocritical to not express displeasure at one of the worse one and one deals in NT history.   I honestly can't think of NT signing any team to an one and one which would generate less interest.  

I am also tired of all this scheduling for success bs citing Kansas State and Boise State.   I don't think wins over Liberty, Houston Baptist or ACU are going to significantly benefit NT.

Kansas State is one of two football schools in the state in a P5 conference, Boise State again one of two football schools in the state with next to no competition for the sports dollar.   NT is not in that type of situation, no one is going to care about a game with Incarnate Word.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Kansas State is one of two football schools in the state in a P5 conference, Boise State again one of two football schools in the state with next to no competition for the sports dollar.   NT is not in that type of situation, no one is going to care about a game with Incarnate Word.  

So based on your logic, if a win over Incarnate Word puts us in a Bowl game the fans would be disappointed to go to a bowl?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4