Home-home series w/ Liberty

14 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So based on your logic, if a win over Incarnate Word puts us in a Bowl game the fans would be disappointed to go to a bowl?

I don't think going to a bowl game is a big accomplishment for most programs.  I don't speak for other fans, but I think going to a bowl is definitely better than not going.  However, I hope NT gets good enough to not have to sneak into a bowl without a winning record.  You might as well come up with an example that NT go 1-11 with their only win against Incarnate Word.  NT doesn't go winless because of acute scheduling.  

Nearly every team pads their home oc schedule these years.   However as a season ticket holder for decades, I am not going to get excited about an oc home schedule of a lower division team and Liberty.   So I can imagine how those games are going to draw with the more casual fans.   NT is not at the point that any school can't beat them.  That is not the issue, but an interesting sellable home schedule is.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think going to a bowl game is a big accomplishment for most programs.  I don't speak for other fans, but I think going to a bowl is definitely better than not going.  However, I hope NT gets good enough to not have to sneak into a bowl without a winning record.  You might as well come up with an example that NT go 1-11 with their only win against Incarnate Word.  NT doesn't go winless because of acute scheduling.  

Nearly every team pads their home oc schedule these years.   However as a season ticket holder for decades, I am not going to get excited about an oc home schedule of a lower division team and Liberty Christian.   So I can imagine how those games are going to draw with the more casual fans.   NT is not at the point that any school can't beat them.  That is not the issue, but an interesting sellable home schedule is.   

This.

Try talking an alum or a college football fan into going to this game. You'll have to do some heavy convincing unless the fan has nothing else to do on a Saturday.

Again, if I'm a student or parent of a student who is paying for Apogee, I'm looking at the fact that this stadium, which was sold to the community as a way to bring in bigger and better OOC teams, has hosted UH, Indiana, Texas Southern, Idaho, Ball state, SMU, Nicholls State, Portland state, and Bethune-Cookman, with SMU, Army, Lamar, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word and Liberty as other teams to visit here in the next five years. All of those teams were Fouts level visitors--hell, the last game at Fouts against K-State was better than ALL of these names.

This remains the worst thing our AD does.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, H-towngreen said:

I love it. Winable FBS game. At the end of the season no ones going to look back at 8 wins and be upset about that W.

look at how Boise got to where they were. WINNABLE GAMES! With winning comes more fans and better recruits 

A home and home, though? I could see it as a one game series at our place. But a home and home?

Additionally, people don't ignore an easy SOS, unless you're the bowl bound team, I guess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Aldo said:

A home and home, though? I could see it as a one game series at our place. But a home and home?

Additionally, people don't ignore an easy SOS, unless you're the bowl bound team, I guess. 

People do ignore an sos. You think 2 years after the season people realize who you played or do they just see that you won 9 games. Recruits don't look at sos, they look at results. 

Wins are wins. And at this point we need them against whoever we can get them against. I'm not one to complain about my $100 bill being wrinkled. Once we win games, once we are able to recruit better because we are winning, once more fans are walking thru the gate then we can book better teams.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

There are a lot of Liberty grads in the DFW area, since you can get degrees from them via the interwebs. That may help to bring some people to the game.

I don't mind the series; it's nothing to write home about, but it's an FBS game we should win.

Edited by pastorgrant
Grammar
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

What's not being asked is what is going to happen to those two games with Army? We have a six game series with them so right now only 3 games are currently schedule (we've already played one game of the six).

FBS Schedules shows us with games against Army in 2019 and 2020. So that's 4 games, including the game played in 2016 and the game scheduled this season. I don't see the schedules on there past that but it seems like the other Army games would be in 2022 and 2023.

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

FBS Schedules shows us with games against Army in 2019 and 2020. So that's 4 games, including the game played in 2016 and the game scheduled this season. I don't see the schedules on there past that but it seems like the other Army games would be in 2022 and 2023.

We assume the games will be rescheduled as the Athletic Department had to work with Army to "cancel" the games set for 2018 and 2021.

2 hours ago, H-towngreen said:

People do ignore an sos. You think 2 years after the season people realize who you played or do they just see that you won 9 games. Recruits don't look at sos, they look at results. 

Wins are wins. And at this point we need them against whoever we can get them against. I'm not one to complain about my $100 bill being wrinkled. Once we win games, once we are able to recruit better because we are winning, once more fans are walking thru the gate then we can book better teams.

The heck does the $100 bill have to do with anything?

We aren't being given a $100 bill. $100 bills attract people. This is the opposite of that. This is a bill collector.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Who's to say it wasn't Army that approached UNT and asked for the games to be rescheduled?  Maybe we had to scramble and Liberty represented the best combination of winnable games and H/H.  Need a little more info before I am ready to light my pitchfork.  Seems like a good question for the coaches caravan.  Hopefully, someone will post the response from the AD.

Nail meet head.  Then again, jumping to conclusions is the second favorite past time of GMG.com posters, right behind making assumptions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It's a winnable home and home with a FBS team, something that's far better than a game against any FCS team. Checking FBSSchedules.com, I see Liberty also has a home and home series scheduled with New Mexico from the Mountain West Conference. And games scheduled against P5s Baylor, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. 

I don't understand the convoluted thought process that some how it's fine for P5s to play Liberty but it's some how "beneath" NT. We need six wins and the more of those against FBS teams the better. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

It's a winnable home and home with a FBS team, something that's far better than a game against any FCS team. Checking FBSSchedules.com, I see Liberty also has a home and home series scheduled with New Mexico from the Mountain West Conference. And games scheduled against P5s Baylor, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. 

I don't understand the convoluted thought process that some how it's fine for P5s to play Liberty but it's some how "beneath" NT. We need six wins and the more of those against FBS teams the better. 

I was following you closely until you dubbed 6 wins as our season goal. In 2018, struggling to get to 6 IMO would be a cause for a candle to be lit under Littrells chair. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I was following you closely until you dubbed 6 wins as our season goal. In 2018, struggling to get to 6 IMO would be a cause for a candle to be lit under Littrells chair. 

7+ should be the target this year. 9+ and competing for CUSA Championship should be next year's goal.

• Upvote 1

I would be perfectly happy paying them for a home game.   I am much less happy going to their house, FIRST, then hoping they don't just pay the buyout.

If we are going to do a one and one I would be happier talking to Texas State, ULL, ArkSt, etc.  Hell, I would rather one and one with NMSU.  At least we have a history of almost 50 games played.  

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I would be perfectly happy paying them for a home game.   I am much less happy going to their house, FIRST, then hoping they don't just pay the buyout.

If we are going to do a one and one I would be happier talking to Texas State, ULL, ArkSt, etc.  Hell, I would rather one and one with NMSU.  At least we have a history of almost 50 games played.  

Liberty is a FBS independent. That's a very, very tough way to run a football program unless you are Notre Dame or BYU. Liberty isn't at the level of either of those and thus I don't think they will be buying out a lot of games. Don't forget from THEIR viewpoint, playing at NT is a winnable game for them! 

I prefer doing one and one's verse a money game paired with a FCS home game. Wren has shown a the schedule isn't completely locked down so perhaps he is working on deals with more regional FBS teams. 

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

7+ should be the target this year. 9+ and competing for CUSA Championship should be next year's goal.

As long as none of those wins come against the likes of liberty. Some would think a loss to K State would be better for program.

• Upvote 1