Head coach Grant McCasland rebuilding men’s basketball program with targeted recruiting

Skipper

Matt Brune | Staff Writer

Winners.

That’s what newly appointed head basketball coach Grant McCasland wants in the North Texas basketball program. It’s something McCasland did plenty of in his lone season at Arkansas State University last season, when he doubled the Red Wolves’ win total from 10 to 20 in just one year. He remains adamant that having players with experience winning is crucial to building a successful program.

This has always been McCasland’s approach to recruiting. With a Division II national title under his belt and several trips to the Elite Eight, McCasland has the resume to back up his strategy.

“The No. 1 need for us was to find guys that want to win and came from winning programs,” McCasland said. “After that, the key was getting guys that knew how to play and could shoot.”

With the 2017 roster set, that’s exactly what McCasland got in his first recruiting class at North Texas.

McCasland and his staff were able to lure in seven new players — four junior college transfers and three true freshmen. This approach allows them to pair the young talent of the three freshmen with the experience of the four transfers and the players coming back from last year’s squad.

“We’re excited [about this freshman class],” associate head coach Ross Hodge said. “Zach Simmons ended up being the 16th best player in the state. I think Umoja [Gibson] was a top 25 player in the state. Both are really good kids.”

The third piece to that freshman class puzzle is Mark Tikhonenko, a 6’10 Russian forward.

View Full Article

• Upvote 6

51 minutes ago, greenminer said:

McCasland speech has a shade of Dodge in it.

I thought the same thing, although "shade" might be an understatement.  It doesn't mean the philosophy is altogether without merit.  If are able to put together a coaching staff that knows how to coach at the college level, and if you can win significantly more than Dodge did, it might work out just fine.

• Upvote 1

Excited about the basketball program again.   Of course, I have to admit I was also exited about Benford and Trilli.  McCasland though has at least some success at the D1 level as a hc, something that neither Benford or Trilli had.

Give Dodge some credit he was and still is a great high school coach .  There is some merit to the concept of recruiting players from winning programs, as long as they were a major reason the team was good.   Although, I do think that concept is vocalized a lot time to sell fans on recruiting good high school players that played on great teams but were not all that highly recruited.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 4/26/2017 at 10:51 PM, greenminer said:

@Mean Green '93 agree!

@GMG24 I am not sure if you were around to see Dodge's first class.

I was but I am not sure how you can compare the two.  Dodge was only successful at the HS level.  McCasland has had success at every stop he's had on his way to D1 and even a season in D1.  I am not saying he's a lock but he sure has more skins on the wall than Dodge. 

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I was but I am not sure how you can compare the two.  Dodge was only successful at the HS level.  McCasland has had success at every stop he's had on his way to D1 and even a season in D1.  I am not saying he's a lock but he sure has more skins on the wall that Dodge. 

They are referring to his talk. Dodge was all about recruiting winners because winners...win...or something and he talked that talk a lot. As coaches, the two are not comparable.

Edited by forevereagle

18 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

They are referring to his talk. Dodge was all about recruiting winners because winners...win...or something and he talked that talk a lot. As coaches, the two are not comparable.

It does have some truth to it.  Don't need to say it just to say it but there is validity behind it. 

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

One could also argue that good players that haven't won a lot are more hungry.

No doubt! The hardest part about that is digging to find out how hungry they are.  But, absolutely good players from programs who haven't won would be hungry to get wins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

He certainly looks and sounds the part of a legitimate coach. Its very promising around here again--I am cautiously optimistic that he can turn us around quickly into a .500 or better program. The biggest leap a program takes, just like we saw last year in football with SL, is going from really bad to not bad. I think we will see tha thappen this upcoming season, barring injuries,

I'm just excited that we have young coaches that came in on an upward trajectory.  It will take youthful ambition to turn things around at UNT.  McCasland and Littrell seem to fit the bill. (though Littrell's recruiting does have me concerned). 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1