Lots of work to do to rectify this

untjim1995

17 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I would love to see the growth in ticket revenue if we actually got 30,000 people to Apogee and just halfway filled the Pit for all basketball games.

That would be amazing to see one day.

A sellout of Apogee seems to be a high bar right now. Maybe one of these years, a sellout crowd will show up for the SMU game. That seems like the most likely scenario to have it happen, or a big CUSA West championship game against UTEP late in the season, since they have a lot of grads here in DFW.

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

But, is the point of marketing to lose money year in and year out? 

A public school like UNT's budget is ultimately a zero sum game.   Financial security comes in strong enrollment demand and building the endowment.  Athletics spending helps with each.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

A public school like UNT's budget is ultimately a zero sum game.   Financial security comes in strong enrollment demand and building the endowment.  Athletics spending helps with each.  

We've had strong enrollment demand without spending much on athletics. However, that doesn't help the endowment, as we've seen by the almost community college connection that the majority of alumni have felt about UNT. Maybe that changes in the next 25 years, but the mistakes we have made in the past really cost us way more in opportunity lost.

12 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Marketing is an expense on a balance sheet, so it never makes money. The idea of marketing is to enable sales and raise product awareness.

Expenses are located on the income statement, not the balance sheet.  They directly affect income and by extension profitability.  They are measured by how much they contribute to increasing revenues per their cost (effectiveness).

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2017 at 10:20 AM, untjim1995 said:

That would be amazing to see one day.

A sellout of Apogee seems to be a high bar right now. Maybe one of these years, a sellout crowd will show up for the SMU game. That seems like the most likely scenario to have it happen, or a big CUSA West championship game against UTEP late in the season, since they have a lot of grads here in DFW.

I would honestly love for that first sellout to be in two years against SMU. It's always a fun atmosphere when you have a lot of fans of the opposing team there. Unless, you know we got a P5 school like Texas or A&M to come to Apogee where it'd be a road game for us.

It's brand equity. Ever since colleges became as much business as education, sports have become an advertising expense. Just like Marlboro pays people to set up games and give away prizes at bars, and every food company pays old ladies to give away samples at Sam's Club, colleges use sports to get their brand out to consumers. Many modern college bound graduates come from families with not many members with degrees. Sports give colleges a window into those families, as well as others with educations who need that reminder as to who is there that they may not have thought of since their friend/cousin/coworker mentioned checking us out when their kid was applying.

When I decided to go to NT, sports had absolutely nothing to do with that decision and I am a big college athletics fan.  I now have two grandchildren in NT and neither have set foot at an athletic event unless to occasionally meet us.   

I went because of the than great accounting program.  Face it, if college athletics were a student's focus; NT would not be a likely choice.   Yes, sports gives some name recognition to an institution; but I doubt it spurs many to attend or donate.  Other than athletic donations which are directly given to athletics, I doubt it pays a significant role in NT general fund raising.  

If athletics can be viewed as some type of marketing tool, it is very ineffective and expensive.