DRC: Report -- ASU forward intends to transfer to UNT

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Anyone else here a little concerned that McCasland seems to think he can kill it here at UNT/C-USA with the same players he had at ARSt?

When I read the headline, I'm thinking, "Yeah! Odufuwa & Wooden came from ASU!"
When I read the article, I'm thinking, "Oh, another one?"

The past few years the Sun Belt has out performed CUSA.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Anyone else here a little concerned that McCasland seems to think he can kill it here at UNT/C-USA with the same players he had at ARSt?

When I read the headline, I'm thinking, "Yeah! Odufuwa & Wooden came from ASU!"
When I read the article, I'm thinking, "Oh, another one?"

AState ended up 5th in the Sun Belt after tiebreakers. Until the late season collapse, I think AState would have done just fine against anyone in CUSA other than playing at MTSU. Last few weeks we wouldn't have beaten much of anyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I hate to see all of these ASU players and recruits coming down to Denton.  I don't think it's right.

40% of all Division I men's basketball players transfer by the end of the sophomore season. If he went juco, I'd be unhappy because that hurts APR. If he doesn't successfully complete this semester I'll be unhappy because that hurts APR.

AState is changing directions offensively seeking more height, he has no guarantee he fits in Balado's scheme. Mac seems to work with a lot of quick 3 point bombers, we often had 4 guys 6'4" or less on the court. Balado being a Pitino disciple seems to want a couple bodies in the paint instead of one.

• Upvote 2

CUSA has been bad the last couple of years.  UNT has been bad for 5 years.  It is not a huge stretch to think that UNT will be improved.  If Southern Miss, WKU, and Charlotte return closer to historical form, the league should be a lot better.  Maybe not great, but ok.  It should be unacceptable for this league to be outside the top 15 leagues in the country year in and year out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I have said, I think McCasland's first class is about as good as it could be given the circumstances.   However, to get to where NT wants to be; I don't think Belt level recruits are going to get it done.   We can argue about Belt vs CUSA, all we want; but teams like MTSU and WKU are setting a very high standard.  

I like what ASU has done with their athletics, they have risen out of the ashes and are a very competitive G5 program.   I do think that NT has a much higher ceiling, but that has been true for a long time; yet NT has not gotten it done in any revenue sport on a sustained basis, a period covering more than one coaching staff.  

McCasland must think this transfer is very good to waste a red shirt year on him.  I really don't see why based on his one year; particularly inasmuch that McCasland and staff should aim higher in their second year overall recruiting.    A 6'4 swing player doesn't seem to be that needed unless he turns into a  truly an exceptional player.   Right now, there is only one senior I think who stays on the squad.  Next year recruiting is going to be very limited unless McCasland is a coach that really turns over the squad.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

As I have said, I think McCasland's first class is about as good as it could be given the circumstances.   However, to get to where NT wants to be; I don't think Belt level recruits are going to get it done.   We can argue about Belt vs CUSA, all we want; but teams like MTSU and WKU are setting a very high standard.  

I like what ASU has done with their athletics, they have risen out of the ashes and are a very competitive G5 program.   I do think that NT has a much higher ceiling, but that has been true for a long time; yet NT has not gotten it done in any revenue sport on a sustained basis, a period covering more than one coaching staff.  

McCasland must think this transfer is very good to waste a red shirt year on him.  I really don't see why based on his one year; particularly inasmuch that McCasland and staff should aim higher in their second year overall recruiting.    A 6'4 swing player doesn't seem to be that needed unless he turns into a  truly an exceptional player.   Right now, there is only one senior I think who stays on the squad.  Next year recruiting is going to be very limited unless McCasland is a coach that really turns over the squad.   

Sun Belt was way above the CUSA in terms of overall play.

I dont believe calling these Belt level recruits is the right way to word it. These guys are solid mid major level recruits. 

MTSU doesnt have as good of a class as UNT does this year. Yes WKU is lighting it up, but so is UTEP. UAB isnt far behind. 

Its needed for McCasland. He is very athletic, gets to the rim, and rebounds the ball very well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Sun Belt was way above the CUSA in terms of overall play.

I dont believe calling these Belt level recruits is the right way to word it. These guys are solid mid major level recruits. 

MTSU doesnt have as good of a class as UNT does this year. Yes WKU is lighting it up, but so is UTEP. UAB isnt far behind. 

Its needed for McCasland. He is very athletic, gets to the rim, and rebounds the ball very well.

The Belt and CUSA are both lower level one bid leagues.  I don't understand your reference to solid mid major level recruits.  I agree with them being solid recruits for NT, but you have just made the point that the Belt is a better overall league than CUSA.  

So the transfer is very athletic, get to the rim and rebounds well.   OK, were does he fit on the team two years from now.   Nobody knows.   He will get a year to get better and I suspect he will be a very good player.  McCasland started him late in the season and he was a leading rebounder for ASU which was a very short team.   

Still the major question is he worthy of using a redshirt year and using one of what appears to be very limited next year scholarships.   I just hope that McCasland is successful enough and stays long enough to worry about losing a redshirt player to another school because of the graduate transfer waver.

I would also caution that most basketball class rankings are very swayed by the number of scholarships granted.  High quantity overtaking quality often.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The Belt and CUSA are both lower level one bid leagues.  I don't understand your reference to solid mid major level recruits.  I agree with them being solid recruits for NT, but you have just made the point that the Belt is a better overall league than CUSA.  

So the transfer is very athletic, get to the rim and rebounds well.   OK, were does he fit on the team two years from now.   Nobody knows.   He will get a year to get better and I suspect he will be a very good player.  McCasland started him late in the season and he was a leading rebounder for ASU which was a very short team.   

Still the major question is he worthy of using a redshirt year and using one of what appears to be very limited next year scholarships.   I just hope that McCasland is successful enough and stays long enough to worry about losing a redshirt player to another school because of the graduate transfer waver.

I would also caution that most basketball class rankings are very swayed by the number of scholarships granted.  High quantity overtaking quality often.   

We're well over 500 transfers looking for new homes in 2017-2018. I just think we should/could do better looking beyond Arkansas St. What happened to all the great local talent coach talked about at his press conference?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cooley said:

We're well over 500 transfers looking for new homes in 2017-2018. I just think we should/could do better looking beyond Arkansas St. What happened to all the great local talent coach talked about at his press conference?

I am wondering that as well because next year we have one maybe two open scholarships so this group seems to be the big get.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I have to think if this kid wasn't going to help us move towards CUSA title-worthy play, then GM would be honest with him and the scholarship spot.

If GM is just bringing along a buddy recruit he liked in Arkansas regardless of how he might compete in CUSA, then maybe GM is not the right hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

I have to think if this kid wasn't going to help us move towards CUSA title-worthy play, then GM would be honest with him and the scholarship spot.

If GM is just bringing along a buddy recruit he liked in Arkansas regardless of how he might compete in CUSA, then maybe GM is not the right hire.

McCasland or any other coach is not going to waste a ship on someone that they don't think can help.   That is not the issue.  The question to me was McCasland building such a powerhouse at ASU that signing those players is going to make him a success at NT.   It just seems a little odd that so many of the best available players have connections to ASU.  Tikhonenko and Arikawe had both signed with ASU.  Miller, Duffy and Smart were being recruited by ASU and now add a transfer.   That is 6 players out of the seven recruited by the current staff at both ASU and NT.   

There is not a recruit signed by NT that I don't think has the potential to be very good at NT.   I actually like this class, I would just like to have seen more variety in the source of the recruits.   I can't think of two more diverse universities than ASU and NT, I do think NT has much more to sell despite the Benford years.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

In McCasland's program there is always a need for those type of guys. So he will fit and will play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

47 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

In McCasland's program there is always a need for those type of guys. So he will fit and will play. 

Not sure any of us know a whole lot about McCasland's program.  However, it should be obvious being that jahmiah Simmons is the only one that has actually played for him; so it is obvious that the coach sees something special in him.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Too many complaints. McCasland is getting better players in here and NT will improve. Baby steps people. You can't ask for a 10 seed in the Tournamnet next year just yet. Win the conference and keep improving from there....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2