McCasland's recruiting has been phenomenal

Harry

I genuinely hope the ticket office gets their act together before basketball season starts.  There may actually be some demand this year. 

I'll never buy basketball season tickets because the bulk of the season interferes with tax season, so impractical.  I'll always be a buy at the door guy, and that experience has turned me off for a good long time. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 4

One big problem is the total clusterf_k that is I-35. I was apalled that so little progress seems to have been made when I drove up for the spring football game. Couple that with the tipoff times and you almost have to take a few hours off if you want to enjoy the whole experience (tailgate, Mean Green Room, etc.). Fortunately for myself, I have the flexibility to do that now, whereas I didn't when I was last at the SuperPit for a game.

• Upvote 2

McCasland's recruiting has certainly demonstrated the value of hiring a current head coach.   Based on the time frame involved, the recruiting class was at least close to phenomenal.  Too heavy on jucos, but with time involved probably to be expected.  Currently has a guard loaded team, but lots of questions in the paint.  4 top 80 jucos is impressive, but at least one juco rating had Wainwright higher than any of the signees.   Also I think not keeping Combs is a significant factor.   

It is going to be very interesting how the rotation will work out.  I thought NT was in a very good position with Woolridge and Lawson at guards.  Now, I am not sure if either one will start.  Duffy in particular looks like a future star.  Looking at ASU last year, they started four players 6'4 or less all year, and in their last conference game another 6'4 player.  So it is very possible that NT will have a four guard lineup.   Arikawe, Smart, Lawson, Duffy and Miller?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

McCasland's recruiting has certainly demonstrated the value of hiring a current head coach.   Based on the time frame involved, the recruiting class was at least close to phenomenal.  Too heavy on jucos, but with time involved probably to be expected.  Currently has a guard loaded team, but lots of questions in the paint.  4 top 80 jucos is impressive, but at least one juco rating had Wainwright higher than any of the signees.   Also I think not keeping Combs is a significant factor.   

It is going to be very interesting how the rotation will work out.  I thought NT was in a very good position with Woolridge and Lawson at guards.  Now, I am not sure if either one will start.  Duffy in particular looks like a future star.  Looking at ASU last year, they started four players 6'4 or less all year, and in their last conference game another 6'4 player.  So it is very possible that NT will have a four guard lineup.   Arikawe, Smart, Lawson, Duffy and Miller?

Very unlikely Woolridge and Lawson don't start. I would count on Holston improving a lot and trying to contend as well.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

By my count, the scholarship players are 7 to 6 guards to Forwards... That seems fairly balanced to me given that there is an odd number of scholarships. I Do agree that there are less proven commodities in the Forward group, but not by much. Actually, by my count, we have only seen Tamara and Jackson play in the F group. In the guard group, we have only seen Holston, Woolridge, and Lawson play. The whole freaking team is a question mark! 

• Upvote 2

On 4/22/2017 at 2:31 PM, EagleMBA said:

One big problem is the total clusterf_k that is I-35. I was apalled that so little progress seems to have been made when I drove up for the spring football game. Couple that with the tipoff times and you almost have to take a few hours off if you want to enjoy the whole experience (tailgate, Mean Green Room, etc.). Fortunately for myself, I have the flexibility to do that now, whereas I didn't when I was last at the SuperPit for a game.

35E construction should be finished in time for the 2017-18 basketball season. It's slated to be done sometime mid-2017.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I35 construction is never complete. They have been working on it for 50+ years. 

True. They were working on it in the 80s when I drove it regularly. It has NEVER been as bad, as far back as I can recall, as it has been during the last three years. You must be very alert, especially at night. I have tried the DNT to 380 as a "backdoor" plan but have found construction out there too.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:31 PM, EagleMBA said:

From Dallas area, consider going west all the way on LBJ to SH121 / FM2499. Take FM2499 north all the way to FM2181. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rws69 said:

From Dallas area, consider going west all the way on LBJ to SH121 / FM2499. Take FM2499 north all the way to FM2181. 

Thanks for the tip! I checked the map and I have to hit FM2499 at a higher point because I'm coming across the Bush. Looks like I could easily cross I-35 on Hebron Pkwy/Round Grove Rd (if the construction doesn't prevent it), continue west on Flower Mound Rd., and hit FM2499. I'm considering coming to the Denton Arts & Jazz Festival next Saturday to see Aaron Neville so that would be a good opportunity to check that route out.

Just now, southsideguy said:

They are putting up the toll road signs on I 35 near Denton.  What we need another Fing toll road on an interstate freeway.  We have gone toll crazy in DFW.

Have you seen the plans for 35?  
Each direction is getting 1 extra free lane, then, there will be 2 additional toll lanes each direction that are completely optional.  unlike 121 and other roads like that.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Have you seen the plans for 35?  
Each direction is getting 1 extra free lane, then, there will be 2 additional toll lanes each direction that are completely optional.  unlike 121 and other roads like that.

Actually, it's not at least one lane each way for the toll lanes. The lane(s) will be reversible depending on which way the heaviest traffic is headed. South in the morning and north in the evening.

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

FIFY :) 

If you haven't been following the project, there is tons of progress that is visible each month.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Actually, it's not at least one lane each way for the toll lanes. The lane(s) will be reversible depending on which way the heaviest traffic is headed. South in the morning and north in the evening.

So there is a future toll scanner tower near my house and there are 4 scanners on it.  There will be 4 free lanes each direction at that scanning tower.
You're saying there will be 8 lanes going south in the mornings, and 8 going North in the afternoons?

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So there is a future toll scanner tower near my house and there are 4 scanners on it.  There will be 4 free lanes each direction at that scanning tower.
You're saying there will be 8 lanes going south in the mornings, and 8 going North in the afternoons?

The toll lanes are are only 2 wide. They put in "extra" scanners to cover the shoulders so people don't try to get by without paying.

EDIT: I thought about this a little more and it's also likely that 2 scanners are for northbound traffic and 2 are for southbound traffic.

Edited by UNTFan23