Miami Beach bowl moving to Frisco

17 hours ago, dmaxel said:

Don't some universities host bowl games? Why not Apogee then?

Armed Forces bowl is at the TCU stadium (Amon Carter, right?).  

I was just having this same thought not long ago, but then wondered if UNT administration could even pull it off.  Also of concern is lack of reasonable hotel accommodations.  But mostly, parking and tickets.  So much difficult. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I wish i had had a unicorn but it is not going to  happen.  We can not even sell out at home.

Bowl games are a different scenario.

I met people in Mobile for the GoDaddy Bowl who were wearing AState gear, get to talking to them and it was their first game in 10 years or first game since graduating or first AState game ever. When we played the NOLA Bowl in Lafayette as I was walking into the stadium got a call from fraternity brothers I hadn't heard from in years wanting to know where the ticket windows were and the parking situation, they were an hour outside of Lafayette and had gotten the idea that morning to go to the game.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I appreciate what you are saying Arkstatfan and we have been to the HOD twice and there are a lot of empty seats.

not for a lack of UNT fans.  I thought Army would pull more, but it was a tough day and time pull a lot.  IF we would have played Army on the same relative date/time as UNLV, the crowd would have been bigger.  Also, most Bowls, except for the big ones, rarely sell-out....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, TheWestie said:

I'd rather see a sold-out Cotton Bowl. 

We'd need to schedule someone like Texas, aTm, or the Sooners in order to have a shot at a true sell out of the Cotton Bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I appreciate what you are saying Arkstatfan and we have been to the HOD twice and there are a lot of empty seats.

And after both of those games, the ESPN Events people said they were very pleased with the attendance. Yes, some of the announcers on ESPN shows thought the bowls were a waste of time, but those are announcers and NOT the people who make actual decisions at ESPN. 

There are a LOT of people who will come out for a NT bowl game that won't make the drive to Apogee Stadium. That's actual true for any college. 

If you go to the website for the Armed Forces Bowl and look at the staff page then compare to the Heart of Dallas Bowl you find it's the same people. They didn't even change the pictures - just the logos at the top of page. For ESPN to run a bowl in Frisco means these same people just do a little more. Not even a lot more! They can use the same sponsors below title level. They can sell all three bowls as a package deal! Moving the bowl to the Metroplex was a very easy decision for ESPN. 

On 4/21/2017 at 3:01 PM, Arkstfan said:

Toyota Stadium??? Can they do more than 20k seating?

Based on this photo of a Miami Beach Bowl game, they don't need 20k:
001%20Beach122314%20Miami%20Beach%20Bowl

I've said for many years that we should have a bowl game at Apogee, like TCU, New Mexico, UTEP, Boise, etc.  The idea was always pooh-poohed.

So, along comes Frisco - with a smaller stadium - and grabs a bowl game.  Fancy that.

• Upvote 1

On 4/21/2017 at 3:16 PM, ttunt1970 said:

adding seats to30-33,000

Yes.  the end where they have the stage for concerts - and, where they do the photo shoots for the Frisco Youth Soccer - could be used.  Don't know if there are already temporary stands.  But, if not, Frisco (perhaps with Jerry Jones/BlueStar) will easily find a way to do it.

It's not a bad place to watch a football game.  We go to one or two high school games a year there, and it does well.  Like a mini-Rose Bowl:  not a bad seat even if you are in the "upper" areas.   

Also, it's the Hunt family that basically owns the MLS and Frisco's stadium.  My guess is, then, cost won't be an issue.  You've got Hunt and Jerry money involved in a community that has embraced them both, so this is likely a matter if when not if.

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

And after both of those games, the ESPN Events people said they were very pleased with the attendance. Yes, some of the announcers on ESPN shows thought the bowls were a waste of time, but those are announcers and NOT the people who make actual decisions at ESPN. 

There are a LOT of people who will come out for a NT bowl game that won't make the drive to Apogee Stadium. That's actual true for any college. 

If you go to the website for the Armed Forces Bowl and look at the staff page then compare to the Heart of Dallas Bowl you find it's the same people. They didn't even change the pictures - just the logos at the top of page. For ESPN to run a bowl in Frisco means these same people just do a little more. Not even a lot more! They can use the same sponsors below title level. They can sell all three bowls as a package deal! Moving the bowl to the Metroplex was a very easy decision for ESPN. 

Wow.  They're basically saying that being paid to do the game is a waste of time.  Wonder if ESPN will ask them to do it for free next year, since they think it's a waste of time.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Wow.  They're basically saying that being paid to do the game is a waste of time.  Wonder if ESPN will ask them to do it for free next year, since they think it's a waste of time.

I guess I should have been extremely clear. The announcers on ESPN talk shows and news have thought many of the lower level bowls weren't worth the time. 

I've said for many years that we should have a bowl game at Apogee, like TCU, New Mexico, UTEP, Boise, etc.  The idea was always pooh-poohed.

So, along comes Frisco - with a smaller stadium - and grabs a bowl game.  Fancy that.

Damn!  That's got to be one of the most poorly conceived football stadium layouts ever.  Almost as bad as when they did a football game in Wrigley, but both teams had to go the same direction because there wasn't enough buffer space behind one of the endzones.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 2

Hell, 2k looks like it would be wayyyy too big...

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not to get technical, but UTEP has no association with the Sun Bowl, other than its played at their stadium.

I may have facts a little confused, but I think that UTEP just purchased the stadium where Sun Bowl game is played just a few years ago, which could give them more input regarding the teams selected. You still must have a sponsor for a bowl game unless ESPN owns it as may beI the case regarding the Beach Bowl.I just don't see much interest in a 4th bowl game in DFW[ actually sort of a 5th as long as 1AA championship game remains in Frisco].

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

I may have facts a little confused, but I think that UTEP just purchased the stadium where Sun Bowl game is played just a few years ago, which could give them more input regarding the teams selected. You still must have a sponsor for a bowl game unless ESPN owns it as may beI the case regarding the Beach Bowl.I just don't see much interest in a 4th bowl game in DFW[ actually sort of a 5th as long as 1AA championship game remains in Frisco].

Well, the Sun Bowl stadium has always resided on the UTEP campus. Wikipedia lists UTEP as the owner/operator of the stadium.

Per the site "The school retook control of the land and stadium in 2001."

I doubt UTEP has any say in who plays in the bowl game though.

Edited by UNTFan23

7 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

Well, the Sun Bowl stadium has always resided on the UTEP campus. Wikipedia lists UTEP as the owner/operator of the stadium.

Per the site "The school retook control of the land and stadium in 2001."

I doubt UTEP has any say in who plays in the bowl game though.

Well time flies! I didn't realize they bought the stadium in 01', and you are right, the must not have a say in who plays in Sun Bowl game. Regarding "on campus", I went a Sun Bowl game in the 90's and I remember the stadium being up in the hills and not seeing anything around it, especially a campus.

8 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well time flies! I didn't realize they bought the stadium in 01', and you are right, the must not have a say in who plays in Sun Bowl game. Regarding "on campus", I went a Sun Bowl game in the 90's and I remember the stadium being up in the hills and not seeing anything around it, especially a campus.

Up in the mountains you say?