DRC: UNT picks up commitment from JUCO G Duffy

Brett Vito

You have to wonder if many of the players that transferred just didn't feel like they had a spot here or were just loyal to Benford.    Perhaps McCasland didn't really like what he saw here and only made a luke warm attempt at keeping the players that transferred.

The 2017/18 Mean Green BB team is going to be a complete mystery.   There certainly does not appear to be any superstars in the making (from my limited knowledge of them). Maybe McCasland has brought on pieces that he feels can gel in his system.

Are there any players on this roster that could really end up standing out ?   Maybe the kid from Russia ?

Welcome all new Mean Green BB players.   Thank you for choosing to play for the University of North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Maybe the kid from Russia ?

My sources indicate he is really talented.  We will see.  The Jorden Duffy video makes me think he may be at the top but I also like the Tope Arikawe pickup for the paint.  Losing Combs sort of throws things up in the air but I will say we have landed some talent.  McCasland and his staff seem like they know what the hell they are doing.   But they owe Benford because they did inherit some young talent. Lawson is the new star of the team and man did Benford hit on him big time.  Woolridge can play.  Can Fuller get healthy and finally contribute?  Can Temara continue to improve or has he hit his ceiling? It is basically a whole new team.

7 minutes ago, THOR said:

hell, every year for the past 5 years we have had a "new" team...players always seemed to be coming and going....so a new team isn't that big of a deal.

So true. He didnt know how to build a program. This is more of a planned roster overhauling than Benford's looking for a miracle quick fix. 

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

You have to wonder if many of the players that transferred just didn't feel like they had a spot here or were just loyal to Benford.    Perhaps McCasland didn't really like what he saw here and only made a luke warm attempt at keeping the players that transferred.

The 2017/18 Mean Green BB team is going to be a complete mystery.   There certainly does not appear to be any superstars in the making (from my limited knowledge of them). Maybe McCasland has brought on pieces that he feels can gel in his system.

Are there any players on this roster that could really end up standing out ?   Maybe the kid from Russia ?

Welcome all new Mean Green BB players.   Thank you for choosing to play for the University of North Texas.

The mystery will be how well the play together it wont be about talent. There are plenty of guys who could stand out. Smart, Gibson, Duffy are flat out scorers. You still have Lawson & Woolridge who can get to the basket. Miller fits into that category too. All the guards they brought in can rebound the ball well. Most of the scoring will come from the guards.

Tikhonenko is a bit of mystery. Heard he is really good. He could be a scoring rebounder guy or 3 point rebounder. Either way his height allows the floor to be spaced nicely. Arikawe, Simmons, & Temara should be good rebounders. Simmons could be a scoring paint protector.

If I had to pick someone to stand out it would between Duffy, Lawson, & Miller

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Does Duffy joining up mean we have lost someone else? I thought we only had 13 scholarship spots, and I count 13 before adding Duffy. Could this mean we lost a guard? 

Duffy makes 13. 

Returners (6):

- Greg White-Pittman

- Shane Temara

- Allante Holston

- Khalil Fuller

- Ryan Woolridge

- AJ Lawson

Signees (7):

- Zach Simmons

- Mark Tikhonenko

- Umoja Gibson

- Roosevelt Smart

- Michael Miller

- Tope Arikawe

- Jorden Duffy

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Duffy makes 13. 

Returners (6):

- Greg White-Pittman

- Shane Temara

- Allante Holston

- Khalil Fuller

- Ryan Woolridge

- AJ Lawson

Signees (7):

- Zach Simmons

- Mark Tikhonenko

- Umoja Gibson

- Roosevelt Smart

- Michael Miller

- Tope Arikawe

- Jorden Duffy

Thanks for this. Didn't realize the majority of our team will now be new guys. Can't be a bad thing in my opinion. 

On 4/23/2017 at 7:08 PM, BillySee58 said:

Duffy makes 13. 

Returners (6):

- Greg White-Pittman

- Shane Temara

- Allante Holston

- Khalil Fuller

- Ryan Woolridge

- AJ Lawson

Signees (7):

- Zach Simmons

- Mark Tikhonenko

- Umoja Gibson

- Roosevelt Smart

- Michael Miller

- Tope Arikawe

- Jorden Duffy

What about Brice Jackson? 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2017 at 10:38 AM, THOR said:

hell, every year for the past 5 years we have had a "new" team...players always seemed to be coming and going....so a new team isn't that big of a deal.

I'll take a bunch of new kids on a new team that won 20 games previous season.   Bring on the W's see you in the Pit