DRC: Post-spring issues -- No. 3: Will losses in front seven hurt?

Brett Vito

In short, no. There are capable players to step in and fill the voids. Bryce English will fill whatever middle of the line discrepancy there will be. And I expect Tuaalo to finally have a decent year. And of course Roderick Young is there to help with this rotation. We have capable ends replacing Combs or ends moving over into his role. Brandon Garner is a better LB than Fred Scott vs CUSA offenses. It will be interesting to see what player steps up in 2 deep snaps makes a name for himself, much like Garner did when Scott went down. I would really like to see Calvin Minor step up and play well this year. I think if the D can get big time production out of him, this D would actually be good. He has been around for a while and has the reps and experience to shore of a lot of issues. It would be nice to see and good for him to have a good year. I think the D stays par for the course. I would like to see Jenkins be more consistent in his role. And McClain needs to keep doing what he is doing. If anything, an improvement will take place if all the right bodies stay healthy.  Our offense is the concern here and has been since (gulp) Derek Thompson left. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

NT is losing a lot of mediocre players in the front seven, no one that can't be fairly easily replaced.   NT does lose a lot of experience in these positions and that be felt at least at the beginning of the season.  Moving Young to the De and pairing him with English could substantially improve the front 3.  Linebackers were a weak point last year and I am conserved about the depth of the position this year.  Garner is going to be good, but another couple of LB's are going to have to step up.    I was surprised that no transfers were added at this position.  

I think the defensive line as well as the secondary will be improved.  Hopefully, they can cover for what appears to be a weak lb corp.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

In short, no. There are capable players to step in and fill the voids. Bryce English will fill whatever middle of the line discrepancy there will be. And I expect Tuaalo to finally have a decent year. And of course Roderick Young is there to help with this rotation. We have capable ends replacing Combs or ends moving over into his role. Brandon Garner is a better LB than Fred Scott vs CUSA offenses. It will be interesting to see what player steps up in 2 deep snaps makes a name for himself, much like Garner did when Scott went down. I would really like to see Calvin Minor step up and play well this year. I think if the D can get big time production out of him, this D would actually be good. He has been around for a while and has the reps and experience to shore of a lot of issues. It would be nice to see and good for him to have a good year. I think the D stays par for the course. I would like to see Jenkins be more consistent in his role. And McClain needs to keep doing what he is doing. If anything, an improvement will take place if all the right bodies stay healthy.  Our offense is the concern here and has been since (gulp) Derek Thompson left. 

Garner was better than an injured Fred Scott ***

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Garner was better than an injured Fred Scott ***

Meh....There was not a step down when Garner was in there. I mean you could argue because it was due to Scott's injury. I can argue that Fred Scott was never really that good of a player to begin with. Garner was 2nd on the team in sacks (3.5), 3rd in TFL (6.0), 6th in tkls (50 - total), 2 FR, 2 QB hurries. Injured or not, Fred Scott was never that versatile at any time during his career. Scott had a decent year his junior season and showed some versatility (not as much as Garner is showing and at a younger age) And let's not forget, Garner was doing this on 2 deep snaps for at least half the season. Give Garner a full season of starting reps. He'll obliterate Scott's season career best of 68 tklks. He's already done better than Scott in every other statistical category while not even being a full time starter. But, as you were. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1