DRC: UNT notes, a look at Texas lockers with HDTV name plates

Brett Vito

23 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

It's not just the cost of the individual lockers that is shocking, it's the manpower to create each and every single video for each monitor in the locker room plus other hardware to serve the video off of. I would presume they'd use IPTV, so you looking at several servers along with networking hardware likely putting the price tag over 100k total just for the cool HD "nameplates". I guess UT would use their existing film/graphics team during the late spring/summer to make these 30 to 60 second videos?

Could it not be just a bigger version of these things?

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/home-entertainment/best-wireless-digital-frames/

1 minute ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Maybe? You'd still have huge gobs of data to store and transfer using USB sticks so there would still be some servers used for storage for the audio/video staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Maybe? You'd still have huge gobs of data to store and transfer using USB sticks so there would still be some servers used for storage for the audio/video staff.

No, I mean, I know it's not one of those because they are jpg and too small.  But, not being in IT, I imagine there is a way to have a simple video display and pare down the cost by buying in bulk (100-120 lockers/units).  However, we are talking UT spending, so....

My guess about the actual video production is that they use tech interns to mix it all together.

45 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the TV idea is not that expensive.  I guesstimate the screens cost about 50k for 100 lockers.  Not sure what you need to drive it but I will assume it is not over 5k.    LED lighting is dirt cheap now.  Its a lot of bang for the buck. In the end its the stainless steel that really does it for me. 

$10.5k per locker.  They're putting around a million dollars into lockers.  Not a locker room.  Lockers.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No, I mean, I know it's not one of those because they are jpg and too small.  But, not being in IT, I imagine there is a way to have a simple video display and pare down the cost by buying in bulk (100-120 lockers/units).  However, we are talking UT spending, so....

My guess about the actual video production is that they use tech interns to mix it all together.

The IT professional in me wants to store the videos on a server for two reasons - (1) access for the entire AV team via shared network drives and (2) servers have much better redundancy than a simple workstation has.

Length, video compression, and screen resolution play a major factor into the file size of a video. I throw around video between my TIVOs and they are between 4 and 6 Gigabytes for a 60 minute show.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the TV idea is not that expensive.  I guesstimate the screens cost about 50k for 100 lockers.  Not sure what you need to drive it but I will assume it is not over 5k.    LED lighting is dirt cheap now.  Its a lot of bang for the buck. In the end its the stainless steel that really does it for me. 

according to peter king's mmqb, each locker was 10,500 dollars in cost

thanks to mean green 93-98 for the link and beating me to this...

Edited by THOR

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

What if....we let the "BIG" players spin-off, then the left-overs refuse to play them at all.  That would put, what 50 of the money schools to simply play with each other.  over a period of time, that will wear thin.  We take the remaining 75 or so school, move up 30 -40 from lower divisions and make our own league....soon, the big boys will want to play in our sandbox.  More variety in scheduling.....I think we may have something here....

Bingo...and why I don't think a complete split will ever happen.  You think middle-of-the-pack P5 schools who regularly win six to nine games a year and go to bowl games are going to be ok with winning 3 or 4 games a year?  The money might be good, but the alums, students, fans would have a conniption.  Plus, the networks (or whatever media outlet is going to pony-up all this money) are going to have to dial back big time once they realize a huge chunk of the cfb fanbase has been alienated and isn't watching anymore.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Easy. I stated an IPF was ridiculous and got told I was old by the youngsters on here. Same with the Rangers wanting a new stadium when the current one is fine. 

Nah, I 110% agree with you on both points. The people who disagree are the ones who just want to spend student money/taxpayer money like water...

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

$10.5k per locker.  They're putting around a million dollars into lockers.  Not a locker room.  Lockers.

That's just asinine and enraging.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, kj86 said:

Bingo...and why I don't think a complete split will ever happen.  You think middle-of-the-pack P5 schools who regularly win six to nine games a year and go to bowl games are going to be ok with winning 3 or 4 games a year?  The money might be good, but the alums, students, fans would have a conniption.  Plus, the networks (or whatever media outlet is going to pony-up all this money) are going to have to dial back big time once they realize a huge chunk of the cfb fanbase has been alienated and isn't watching anymore.

Those middle Power teams and low ones will be glad to do it because the TV money is gigantic for them. 

I'll always remember the year TCU was ranked in the top ten and played an undefeated, top ten ranked Boise State team on the Poinsettia Bowl. TCU won it, and both teams finished in the top ten. And combined, both teams earned less bowl money than a 3 win Baylor squad who hadn't had a winning season in over a decade. That's why Baylor and Tech will do almost anything to stay at the power conference level. Otherwise, they know they'll go the way of SMU and UH, only drawing well when they win, but never making big cash ever again from networks and attendance demand.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Nah, I 110% agree with you on both points. The people who disagree are the ones who just want to spend student money/taxpayer money like water...

Taxpayer money can't be spent on athletics.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

The IT professional in me wants to store the videos on a server for two reasons - (1) access for the entire AV team via shared network drives and (2) servers have much better redundancy than a simple workstation has.

Length, video compression, and screen resolution play a major factor into the file size of a video. I throw around video between my TIVOs and they are between 4 and 6 Gigabytes for a 60 minute show.

Good thoughts!  Not being an IT guy, I just see "screen" and think about screen cost and local (is local the correct term) memory, like that on a hard drive, and think it could be cheap.  But, I see that's not the case.

21 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Practicing outside becomes an endangered species in all of this.  Got to do away with that.  God forbid these snowflake footballers let a drop of rain touch their skin during practice...or, go more than 15 minutes without air conditioning and water. 

To be fair on the drop of rain comment, I'm guessing that lightning forces more cancellations of practice than rain.  If you hear thunder or there is lightning within 6 miles, you have to wait 30 minutes since the last thunder/lightning.  In the last couple of seasons, UH had a 7 hour football game because of lightning delays where 20 minutes might go between thunder/lightning, but then the clock would restart.  Lightning like that would basically cancel a practice.

• Upvote 2

What I don't understand is why the G5's and the lower tier P5 don't flex their political muscle.  They have the numbers to vote in changes that would stop the foolish arms war and could actually control the NCAA.  Of course, the NCAA wants to keep the top programs who make the vast majority of the money that keeps the NCAA afloat.  

Change the rules, and force the powers to go it along if they can't comply.   I don't think they would like that as much as some might think.  It would force coaches to actually compete with programs at least close to the same in resources.  

The top administrators at the P5 powers are afraid to cross the athletic department.   It would be interesting if just one of the major programs said this is enough and came out publicly for common sense financial reforms. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

What I don't understand is why the G5's and the lower tier P5 don't flex their political muscle.  They have the numbers to vote in changes that would stop the foolish arms war and could actually control the NCAA.  Of course, the NCAA wants to keep the top programs who make the vast majority of the money that keeps the NCAA afloat.  

Change the rules, and force the powers to go it along if they can't comply.   I don't think they would like that as much as some might think.  It would force coaches to actually compete with programs at least close to the same in resources.  

The top administrators at the P5 powers are afraid to cross the athletic department.   It would be interesting if just one of the major programs said this is enough and came out publicly for common sense financial reforms. 

They are also scared of losing the paychecks that the power schools provide for revenue sports.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/18/2017 at 0:12 PM, NTXCoog said:

To be fair on the drop of rain comment, I'm guessing that lightning forces more cancellations of practice than rain.  If you hear thunder or there is lightning within 6 miles, you have to wait 30 minutes since the last thunder/lightning.  In the last couple of seasons, UH had a 7 hour football game because of lightning delays where 20 minutes might go between thunder/lightning, but then the clock would restart.  Lightning like that would basically cancel a practice.

There was no lightning before the 21st Century?  How did Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, Frank Broyles...Bill Yeoman, etc. ever get anything done having to practice with storm clouds, thunder, and lightning?

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

There was no lightning before the 21st Century?  How did Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, Frank Broyles...Bill Yeoman, etc. ever get anything done having to practice with storm clouds, thunder, and lightning?

If any of those guys tried to coach in the exact same way they did today, they'd be out of a job in 2-3yrs max.  Something tells me they wouldn't, and would be fully on board with all the gadgets that potential recruits would love to have.
The times, they have-a-changed.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If any of those guys tried to coach in the exact same way they did today, they'd be out of a job in 2-3yrs max.  Something tells me they wouldn't, and would be fully on board with all the gadgets that potential recruits would love to have.
The times, they have-a-changed.

Out of those listed, I would bet only Switzer would put up with those gadgets. 

• Downvote 1

It's too much.  I know it'll impress the sh*t outta an 18 year old recruit, and it's kinda a sad message if that's what gets them to sign.  I know everyone is competing, but what next to top this?!??!???  And I love me some stainless steel, but when the doors are open, it looks like something in healthcare or a hospital, or in the back-of-house at a restaurant.  

Not downing upscale locker rooms.  I think they're great, but this is poor design , in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1