DRC: Breaking -- Brice, Brown leaving UNT

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I'm just saying, how would he have compared on a good team, say like a Tristian Thompson? I don't think he's even close.

I just don't think any premier teams in the metroplex are banging down his door. Even if they did, he would likely be a bench player. UNM makes sense--I don't think he's leaving just to go to a better team. He's been Benford's guy since day 1. We all heard about it anytime someone mentioned him transferring if we fired Benford.

I would have liked to keep him, sure. But I trust McCasland and his ability to find guys that match his system. I'm just not sold it was all coaching these last few years, either. 

Your right, Thompson was not even close, based on his first two years: Combs was much better.   Freshman year: Thompson 6.4 pts, 2.3 rebounds, Combs 10.0 pts, 6.7rbs.  Soph. year: Thompson 11.4 pts. 2.3 rbs, Combs 14.9 pts. 10.5 rbs.   Statistics never tell all the story, but having watched both; Combs was easily superior in the first two years.   

No high level school is going to take a change on Combs because of his injury.   If he was injury free and had a good junior season, he could have transferred to literally hundreds of D1 universities.   He still may get to a high level school if he can convince them that he is completely healthy.   However, if that really mattered to Combs, he never would have came to NT.    

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Your right, Thompson was not even close, based on his first two years: Combs was much better.   Freshman year: Thompson 6.4 pts, 2.3 rebounds, Combs 10.0 pts, 6.7rbs.  Soph. year: Thompson 11.4 pts. 2.3 rbs, Combs 14.9 pts. 10.5 rbs.   Statistics never tell all the story, but having watched both; Combs was easily superior in the first two years.   

No high level school is going to take a change on Combs because of his injury.   If he was injury free and had a good junior season, he could have transferred to literally hundreds of D1 universities.   He still may get to a high level school if he can convince them that he is completely healthy.   However, if that really mattered to Combs, he never would have came to NT.    

I'll just say on those statistics, JJ players never had crazy stat lines. Maybe he was superior but I'll take the way he played over Combs those last two years especially. With the help of White and others, those teams actually had chemistry. Combs had to do it all out there, I agree. But like Russell Westbrook this season, I wonder how much of his success the first two years was being on a poor team. 

We can play the what-if game, but who is to say he would be totally healthy this season either way? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 4/17/2017 at 1:31 PM, EagleMBA said:

UNM has had a highly successful program for years. 

Pre Dave Bliss the program has been to the NCAA tournament twice in their history.  The program really took off when Dave Bliss payed players, going to the dance 7 out of 9 years.  

If you haven't seen Disgraced yet, I highly recommend it.  

52 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Pre Dave Bliss the program has been to the NCAA tournament twice in their history.  The program really took off when Dave Bliss payed players, going to the dance 7 out of 9 years.  

If you haven't seen Disgraced yet, I highly recommend it.  

I got lazy and did my research here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_Lobos_men's_basketball

Not a bad program overall but no real record of RECENT consistent success since Steve Alford left in 2013.

I have not seen Disgraced but after seeing the trailer it looks like a winner; thanks, I'll look for it.

• Upvote 1

Those 80s/90s basketball teams in ABQ/Cruces/El Paso were tons of fun to watch.  Geographically speaking, those teams have no one else within a spitting distance to hate.

I saw at least one of those UNM-UTEP games in The Don, early 90s I think.  One of the rowdiest atmospheres I can remember for a basketball game.  Anywhere.  I think UNM was ranked that night.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Andrew said:

So I heard Brice was essentially given his walking papers but Brown wanted to be closer to family. Any truth to this?

Enlightening information on this will be coming soon.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2