DRC: Breaking -- Brice, Brown leaving UNT

Brett Vito

14 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

For as much pressure as Grant wants to put on the ball we could probably find a defensive ball handler. Someone who excels on D and gets to the rim on O not necessarily a great shooter. Although I wouldn't mind another paint protecter body. A guy who could get defensive boards and provide solid post D. 

That's what Holston is for although the more the better.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cooley said:

My expectation of Brice after watching him in high school was that he wouldn't be an impact guy until his junior year. Hate to see him leave. Benford gave up on him too soon.

Cooley, you're a good poster and bring good info to this board. I agree that Brice was not utilized properly, and I was hoping he could claim the starting center spot and have his potential maximized under McCasland. That being said, your post in this thread, which you said would be fun to revisit, indicates you thought he'd be an impact guy well before his junior year.

Either way, it is a shame for him to leave before never maximizing his potential 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

For as much pressure as Grant wants to put on the ball we could probably find a defensive ball handler. Someone who excels on D and gets to the rim on O not necessarily a great shooter. Although I wouldn't mind another paint protecter body. A guy who could get defensive boards and provide solid post D. 

So... Alzee or Jordan Williams?

• Upvote 1

Brice was great with the fans and kids.  I wish him well where ever plays next.  I do hate to lose players but I expected it would happen.  Bedford could not win with these guys so I am Ok with the changes.  I will be buying season tickets this year to support the new coach.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

"Cooley, you're a good poster and bring good info to this board. I agree that Brice was not utilized properly, and I was hoping he could claim the starting center spot and have his potential maximized under McCasland. That being said, your post in this thread, which you said would be fun to revisit, indicates you thought he'd be an impact guy well before his junior year"

I think I said that he would provide about 10 point and 10 rebounds right away. And, could help the team right away Of course no one saw him gaining 40 pounds over the summer (which I since mentioned as well) and was way out of shape. Benford didn't play him for strange reasons his soph year.  I don't consider 10 pts and 10 rbs an impact guy. Was hoping/expecting a bigger force in CUSA by his Jr. year. This is what surprises me that he left after Benford. Most other coaches could probably get more out of his size and talent here. We will never know.  

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Brice was great with the fans and kids.  I wish him well where ever plays next.  I do hate to lose players but I expected it would happen.  Bedford could not win with these guys so I am Ok with the changes.  I will be buying season tickets this year to support the new coach.

If Benford (coaching) was the problem why get rid of all the players as well?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I totally agree with Cooley regarding Brice and Brown.

Brice was already good in what came natural for him, namely rebounds and shot blocking.  He was the best that we had with those skills per minute played.  He could've even been better at other skills had he been coached up.  He was foul prone but a lot of centers are because they're the last line of defense and fight for rebounds offensively.  Still, if some coach had worked with him I believe that they could've eliminated some of the out-of-position fouls that he committed.  In this era of the 3-pointers, centers are no longer great scorers but Ricky contributed decently without time to get any rhythm going.  By conference time he seldom got more than five minutes per game.  And, don't forget, he was 7'1" and that's pretty intimidating to anyone trying to drive for a bucket.

Brown was a decent basketball player but he didn't seem to have a position and I don't where they would have put him this coming year had he stayed.  I have no problem in letting him go somewhere that he can get decent playing time. 

White-Pittman, for whatever reason, has never blossomed since he's been here.  He was the top scorer in Louisiana as a senior but didn't get anywhere near those scoring averages in any game since he's been here.  In fact, he's usually had the lowest scoring average in every year.  He should have been the other departure with Brown.

We haven't seen a lot out of Fuller but I believe that he had a legitimate injury last year so maybe it's proper that he receives another chance.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

"Cooley, you're a good poster and bring good info to this board. I agree that Brice was not utilized properly, and I was hoping he could claim the starting center spot and have his potential maximized under McCasland. That being said, your post in this thread, which you said would be fun to revisit, indicates you thought he'd be an impact guy well before his junior year"

I think I said that he would provide about 10 point and 10 rebounds right away. And, could help the team right away Of course no one saw him gaining 40 pounds over the summer (which I since mentioned as well) and was way out of shape. Benford didn't play him for strange reasons his soph year.  I don't consider 10 pts and 10 rbs an impact guy. Was hoping/expecting a bigger force in CUSA by his Jr. year. This is what surprises me that he left after Benford. Most other coaches could probably get more out of his size and talent here. We will never know.  

So I heard Brice was essentially given his walking papers but Brown wanted to be closer to family. Any truth to this?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Cooley said:

I said before benford was fired if we lost the team after he was fired I would be ok with it.  Just to finally be able look to the future was worth it. I don't know for sure who was the problem, benford , the players or maybe both.  I would have loved to see them stay but getting rid of benford was the cost of admission.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/15/2017 at 0:07 AM, BillySee58 said:

Cooley, you're a good poster and bring good info to this board. I agree that Brice was not utilized properly, and I was hoping he could claim the starting center spot and have his potential maximized under McCasland. That being said, your post in this thread, which you said would be fun to revisit, indicates you thought he'd be an impact guy well before his junior year.

Either way, it is a shame for him to leave before never maximizing his potential 

Seems like Cooley is reading my posts as his. 😂

My comparison to Forrest Robinson was pretty dead on, as was ppg averages and the prediction that the last staff could never develop Brice. 

And just like Forrest, Brice showed a distaste for contact and appeared more than happy to take the outside jumper. The difference is that Forrest was a far better shooter. Another big man that fancied himself a guard. Brice never developed an inside game and relied on a fade away jump hook inside. Terrible for a guy his size. Brice also was lost on the defensive end at this level, picking up quick fouls in many a game.

He is 7', so someone in a lesser division will take a flyer on him. 

And Cooley, Someone who averages a double double is absolutely an impact player in CUSA.

peace out, mofos.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And Cooley, Someone who averages a double double is absolutely an impact player in CUSA.

peace out, mofos.

From a very quick search, 10 centers in all of D1 college basketball had 10 or more double doubles last season. It might be a decent thing to average. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, southsideguy said:

i thought he wanted to win.

Not to mention exposure to benefit his possible pro career. The only scouts that will see him play there are from the Chihuahua Pistoleros of the Mexican league.

He can and should do better.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, untbowler said:

If he wanted to win he would have stayed at UNT, think McCasland will have this team in the Top Half or even top third of CUSA next year

Indeed. I did a quick search and find the UNM situation interesting. UNM has had a highly successful program for years. The guy that took over from Steve Alford had one good year, then it was very Benfordesque the last few until he got canned this month. UNM has a new coach coming in this year, just as we do.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

how is combs visiting with no coach there?

UNM just hired the coach from "Loose Crotches" (NMSU) to replace the dud. I think his name is Weir. Had only one season at NMSU but won big. Weir probably has guys bailing on him or guys he is trying to get to upgrade what he inherited.

http://www.golobos.com/index.aspx

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Not to mention exposure to benefit his possible pro career. The only scouts that will see him play there are from the Chihuahua Pistoleros of the Mexican league.

He can and should do better.

As one with a mother from and extended family living in Chihuahua, Mexico, I can in good faith say that there is no "Pistoleros" team from Chihuahua. There was a team that went by the name "Dorados de Chihuahua" playing in the LNBP, but are now defunct.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, GreenGuy123 said:

As one with a mother from and extended family living in Chihuahua, Mexico, I can in good faith say that there is no "Pistoleros" team from Chihuahua. There was a team that went by the name "Dorados de Chihuahua" playing in the LNBP, but are now defunct.  

Thank you for correct and informative information. I apologize for being too lazy to research the facts and just pulling "Pistoleros" from my posterior orifice.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Combs looking at UNM makes me think TCU and SMU aren't interested. Look, fact is the dude just couldn't stay healthy. We had a bad team and Combs was one of a few bright spots. There's a tendency to overrate guys in that situation when they're on your team. 

Combs was injured at the end of his sophomore year, and never was allowed to recover.   Not sure that makes him injury prone.  

He was also easily the best player that Benford recruited and IMO without the injury and the transfer; could have been the best NT player since Chris Davis.   Just speculation at this point, but don't undersell how good Combs was.  

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Combs looking at UNM makes me think TCU and SMU aren't interested. Look, fact is the dude just couldn't stay healthy. We had a bad team and Combs was one of a few bright spots. There's a tendency to overrate guys in that situation when they're on your team. 

I kept wondering if UTA was going to give him a look.

56 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Combs was injured at the end of his sophomore year, and never was allowed to recover.   Not sure that makes him injury prone.  

He was also easily the best player that Benford recruited and IMO without the injury and the transfer; could have been the best NT player since Chris Davis.   Just speculation at this point, but don't undersell how good Combs was.  

I'm just saying, how would he have compared on a good team, say like a Tristian Thompson? I don't think he's even close.

I just don't think any premier teams in the metroplex are banging down his door. Even if they did, he would likely be a bench player. UNM makes sense--I don't think he's leaving just to go to a better team. He's been Benford's guy since day 1. We all heard about it anytime someone mentioned him transferring if we fired Benford.

I would have liked to keep him, sure. But I trust McCasland and his ability to find guys that match his system. I'm just not sold it was all coaching these last few years, either. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2