DRC: Report -- McCasland's buyout has been paid

Brett Vito

I think a lot of defensiveness comes from the fact that the criticism came from the outside, specifically, from Jonesboro.   First instinct is to close ranks against the invading Arky Hun.  

If it initially had come to light from Vito reporting, I think people would be more willing to look at this at face value.  

I do agree it's a blunder. 

1 minute ago, Quoner said:

Sending Jerry Scott to the media on deadline day is a bitch move. Not paying on time is a bitch move. Making jokes about something that impacts none of us with a couple of ASU fans is fun. I chose door number 3 and am happy about it. 

Somewhere, Robert Frost is smiling. 

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

How many times in the past has North Texas paid a buy-out?

Is it really a learned skill others will excuse? If so, any time I switch ISPs, I'm submitting my installation fee late on principle. 

24 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Somewhere, Robert Frost is smiling. 

GMG poetry is the best. Have you read "Stopping @ByeByeUNT on a @Snowy evening" in an old ULM game thread from 2009?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Is it really a learned skill others will excuse? If so, any time I switch ISPs, I'm submitting my installation fee late on principle. 

No, it was an honest question. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, TheTastyGreek said:

I don't want to belabor the point, but nobody else seems to much notice or care that this is a pretty troubling and significant screw-up that reflects very poorly on us and program leadership. So, one contrarian post, and I'll try to walk away from the topic and not beat people down with my opinion. 

With all due respect to guys like @GrandGreen and @Mean Green 93-98, who are people I can frequently disagree with on UNT stuff but always still like and appreciate because it tends to be in a limited, respectful, non-personal (I hope?) manner... This is not much ado about nothing, and it's not something to yawn about. 

This is embarrassing, concerning, and completely unnecessary. We had an entire month to get this figured out, and a clear deadline to get it done. So, the Mandy McKinley approach to contractual fulfillment ("If you haven't gotten your buyout yet, it's because you haven't called us, or we haven't called you!") doesn't fly. We should not be screwing stuff like this up. 

The previous leadership here came under a lot of scrutiny, much of it justified, because of a number of much less significant screwups. Mislabeled Christmas cards, typos in press releases and game recaps, delayed emails and news updates... Well, this is 1000 times worse. This isn't some intern or low-level employee forgetting to spellcheck something. This is the guy at the head of our entire program not bothering to execute a half million dollar payment in a timely fashion, when we had a full month to figure it out. And when we've brought in 3 other high salary upper-level support team members that ought to help make this sort of big picture, high dollar stuff run easier and better. 

If you ever got upset because your Heart of Dallas bowl tickets didn't get shipped in time for you to get them, if you've ever been pissed off over your seatbacks not being in place, or your email inbox getting an invitation to a game or event that already happened... How can you blow this off? We owed another school HALF A MILLION DOLLARS, and we couldn't even handle the simple process of transferring them the money by the legally required deadline. 

I'm not saying Wren Baker is incompetent, or calling for anyone to be fired, or claiming the sky is falling. But this is very bad, very dumb, and absolutely unnecessary and avoidable. Contrary to frequent opinion, it IS possible to be pissed off, frustrated, and embarrassed without carrying that out to an absurd extended hypothetical. I'm not calling for pitchforks and torches, but people ought to recognize that this matters, and we damn sure ought to care enough to demand accountability to make sure huge, stupid, public errors like this don't happen again. 

Hopefully, this is an isolated incident. I don't intend to say anything else on the matter unless someone replies in a way that wants to continue the conversation. You are free to disagree. Go Mean Green. 

First, I hardy think this is something that matters outside of NE Arkansas and frankly they are just looking for something more to be irate about.   In fact, if you look at the totality of NT athletes compared to other universities; NT should have a stellar reputation that is not going to be hindered by such a small matter. 

Maybe you have the specifics of the transaction I don't.  What most have is a statement from Baker and an article from a bias source.  Baker states he contacted ASU and made arrangements though technically late for the transfer of funds.  In the interim, the news story hit which could have easily been planted by ASU to stir up the pot.  What I and most don't know is what took place in the interim.  Did ASU issue a demand letter or invoice, did they call NT for payment, was there any communication at all?  

As someone who spent too many years in the world of collections and credit, it is far from unusual to have even great customers late on contracted unsecured payments.   Believe me the last thing anyone should do is escalate what should be a minor problem to a much bigger one by public disclosure.   Of course, close to the last thing the ASU AD is probably worried about is NT's goodwill.  

I highly doubt that Baker just forgot about issuing the payment.   Most likely he had to wait for the funds to be available and was not concerned about being a few days late.  Maybe a rookie mistake because he should have speculated that Mohajiv would take any opportunity to make NT look bad in this transaction.  

At most NT will have to take a few more jabs about the incident, but compared to the things that continue to go on in college athletics, it is much ado about next to nothing.   

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

From reading about "Mohair's" speedy reaction in attacking McCasland with the legal beagle, I envision that the due date went something like this...

giphy.gif200.gif#8 200.gif#38

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I think a lot of defensiveness comes from the fact that the criticism came from the outside, specifically, from Jonesboro.   First instinct is to close ranks against the invading Arky Hun. 

You make it sound as if the irate Arky State fans were imposing and intimidating.

Attila the Hun:

hunnic-tribes-had-been-in-europe-less-th

Imposing and intimidating.

Arky State fans:

clowns.jpg

Here for our amusement.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1