Lindy Ruff won't return as Stars coach

https://www.nhl.com/news/lindy-ruff-out-as-dallas-stars-coach/c-288607106

Search for replacement to begin immediately

by Sean Shapiro / NHL.com Correspondent
 2:50 PM

cut.jpg

DALLAS -- Lindy Ruff will not return as Dallas Stars coach for the 2017-18 season, general manager Jim Nill said Sunday.

Ruff's four-year contract expired after this season and was not renewed.

The Stars finished 34-37-11 for 79 points, the second-lowest point total in a non-lockout season since the franchise relocated from Minnesota to Dallas in 1993-94. In 2015-16, the Stars had the Western Conference's best record and reached the Western Conference Second Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, where they lost in seven games to the St. Louis Blues.................

5 hours ago, THOR said:

Goaltending did them in

I would say is lack of support of the goaltending, we have good goalies when supported even this year they ranked 6th in the league at even strength. We had so many odd man rushes and breakaways. Plus defense is more suspect in the overly aggressive offensive scheme they were running. Ruff allowed for many mistakes to be made all four years that were never fixed, and the defense pairs changing and healthy scratch never seemed to stop. The mistakes killed us and when we were not scoring our way past them thede mistakes would bite them  in the ass. To many passes, to much dump and chase, lack of back checking, 4 men behind the goal lines on both ends. Oh  my god the entering the offensive zone blind drop pass that was taken away 50 percent of the time. The onslaught of passes without a shot on goal during the powerplay, the injured Jamie Benn being played on the kill seemed a bit much.  The list goes on and on.

But good news is I firmly believe we have the talent to be a championship team. I figure that one of our goalies is serviceable but they are burned out from lack of support, but depending what we can attain in the offseason after this supplemental draft we may have a new goalie in place. Now a new coach might invigorate Kari or Antti I am not sure. But I am looking for a disciplinarian coach and one that can play more to our strengths. I hope to see us play a more physical defense and  just a more defensive minded philosophy. I would love to see some of our basics cleaned up.  

Nothing personal against the man, but never liked him as a coach.  People saying this was a bad move, Lindy led us on two playoff runs and he's the best coach the Stars ever had are driving me nuts.  first and second round exits are not playoff runs.  And I don't see how he can be the best coach we've ever had.  Hitch was the best,  Rumored 3 candidates are Hitchcock, Gerard Galant, and an unknown 3d candidate.  This evening, LA fired Darryl Sutter, who won 3 cups in LA.  I'd say there's your third candidate, and top contender. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Nothing personal against the man, but never liked him as a coach.  People saying this was a bad move, Lindy led us on two playoff runs and he's the best coach the Stars ever had are driving me nuts.  first and second round exits are not playoff runs.  And I don't see how he can be the best coach we've ever had.  Hitch was the best,  Rumored 3 candidates are Hitchcock, Gerard Galant, and an unknown 3d candidate.  This evening, LA fired Darryl Sutter, who won 3 cups in LA.  I'd say there's your third candidate, and top contender. 

I was never off the fence with Ruff I saw to many issues that were only beat with shear talent, not a maximization of talent. I like Hitch but he is now 65 and I think he said he was fully retired. I thought Hitch should have been offered the short term job to finish our season after the blues let him go. I think he could have turned this ship around for the playoffs. I am excited to see what happens.

Lindy is a good guy and yes the team had their issues with goaltending and defense but in 4 years he could never settle and figure out the goaltending, defense, and special teams.  I'm not really sure why Curt Fraser will be allowed to interview with the new coach b/c I thought he had a big bag of nothing. 

Not sure what people are expecting in terms of developing young talent...young talent all develop at different paces.  If kids were called up they were generally getting playing time.  Nill however never wants to bring up young kids unless it's due to need. Granted I didn't always agree with how Lindy did some things but he gave the young players all the opportunities in the world...either players grabbed that opportunity or they didn't.

Ultimately this move had to made...I wanted Lindy to succeed here and he's definitely a good dude but a change had to be made here.

Hitch is getting long in the tooth but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have a Stars Stanley Cup shirt in the dresser. I'm sure management feels he has a few more seasons in him, plus he will be motivated as hell. Welcome back, Ken!

I am excited about Hitch he might be a short term solution or longer we will see, we know he can get the job done. 

On 4/11/2017 at 11:17 AM, THOR said:

only colorado had a worse goals against average this year....goaltending did them in

The specific stats of when supported do not support that.

Like a QB's Stats might be great when he has time, but say same QB is missing his entire Oline gone and his stats suck.  Is it the QB or the support?

The stats on our goaltenders are near the top of the when supported. If that were not the case I would agree with you. I look forward to a new system.