Combs to transfer

Andrew

Combs is a special player if healthy, and one of the few reasons to watch the Green the last couple of years.  I doubt LSU or any like program is going to have any interest unless he can demonstrate he is completely healthy.  

I wish he would have stayed, but felt with all the big guy commits; he was probably gone.  Probably the first of many to be moving on. 

Everyone stayed with the hiring of Benford, and it turned into an  massive disaster.  If McCasland is the coach NT thinks they got, I doubt any of them will be missed for long.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It is his future and I wish him the best. I don't think he made the correct choice...but that's not my business. If he plays again I hope he is 100% and able to show his talent.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

i'm just impressed that he is graduating with a year left...let him play wherever, don't really care...injury prone, but was good here when he played, but let him go elsewhere...not a big deal

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Benford is the gift that just keeps on giving.  The sooner the entire Benford legacy is gone the better.  If it means that we lose all of the recruits that Benford brought in, then so be it.  Not sure if it was his recruits, or Benford's coaching ability, or both, but the lack of results speak for themselves.

Time to move on and start winning games, with or without Benford's recruits.

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Benford is the gift that just keeps on giving.  The sooner the entire Benford legacy is gone the better.  If it means that we lose all of the recruits that Benford brought in, then so be it.  Not sure if it was his recruits, or Benford's coaching ability, or both, but the lack of results speak for themselves.

Time to move on and start winning games, with or without Benford's recruits.

I don't heartily disagree with your post; just consider the old saying..."The devil you know is sometimes better than the devil you don't".

Wish him the best but his injury is one that may never allow him to return to the player he was his first two seasons. He didn't have the same explosion and quickness  He was never going to be good free throw shooter. Hope he can regain that athletic ability and have a good season in the right program but doubt it will be at a high D 1 program. Degree in 3 years is pretty impressive. He will be just fine. True student athlete.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

The devil we knew had 5 consecutive non-winning seasons.  

Combs will never be heard from again.

GO MEAN GREEN

Point of clarification...when I invoked "The devil we knew" I was not referring to Benford. That devil was so well known that I couldn't bring myself to come to the SuperPit in more than four years. I was referring to the players still here that were recruited by Benford but did not make my point clearly. RE: Combs, your prophecy may sadly become reality. I feel for the guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder like redshirting if programs are going to rethink paying for summer school in fear of athletes like Combs transferring out.   

I hope not.  Then you'll see far more players exhausting their eligibility (and their scholarships) without a degree.  Combs took care of business in the classroom--let him go to graduate school wherever he wants.

Except SMU.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, greenminer said:

@GrandGreen woah! Interesting thought.

Nope, you're entire point of offering a scholarship is getting 4/5 years of service and a degree for your athlete at the end of that time.  Good for Combs for finishing his, sucks he's leaving but I wish him the best.  We've had plenty who never got a degree,  celebrate the successes. 

13 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Nope, you're entire point of offering a scholarship is getting 4/5 years of service and a degree for your athlete at the end of that time.  Good for Combs for finishing his, sucks he's leaving but I wish him the best.  We've had plenty who never got a degree,  celebrate the successes. 

Confusing post, Combs was here for 3 years not 4 or 5 years.  Scholarships are given to have an athlete play for your school, not to prepare him for a transfer to another school for what should be their best year or years.  

Combs was a warrior and most of us hope he has continued success, but I still have problems with the transfer system as it is now.   In the NCAA tournament there were a lot of examples of players from lower rated conferences that transferred into the bigger basketball schools using the graduate loophole.   Not a good development for lower tier teams in my and a lot of others' opinion. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Confusing post, Combs was here for 3 years not 4 or 5 years.  Scholarships are given to have an athlete play for your school, not to prepare him for a transfer to another school for what should be their best year or years.  

Combs was a warrior and most of us hope he has continued success, but I still have problems with the transfer system as it is now.   In the NCAA tournament there were a lot of examples of players from lower rated conferences that transferred into the bigger basketball schools using the graduate loophole.   Not a good development for lower tier teams in my and a lot of others' opinion. 

I was saying you offer a scholarship to a kid for their athletic ability for a 4/5 year window (if they redshirt they can get 5 years worth of school paid for)  I have 0 problem with Combs being ahead of his scheduled time graduating in 3 years with a degree, and choosing to finish his career elsewhere on someone else's dime.  Do I want him to finish here? Absolutely, but if he got his degree he fulfilled his end of the scholarship IMO.  

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I was saying you offer a scholarship to a kid for their athletic ability for a 4/5 year window (if they redshirt they can get 5 years worth of school paid for)  I have 0 problem with Combs being ahead of his scheduled time graduating in 3 years with a degree, and choosing to finish his career elsewhere on someone else's dime.  Do I want him to finish here? Absolutely, but if he got his degree he fulfilled his end of the scholarship IMO.  

It is my understanding that schollies are renewed yearly.  For lack of a better term, it is a "gentleman's understanding" that things play out for 4-5 years.

Your point is ideological but, unfortunately, the system has become pretty complex.  If schools can find a way to manipulate things in their favor, someone/somewhere will consider it.

I hate losing Combs. I think he is in the convo for top players we have had in the last 20 years. But I can only applaud someone who gets a degree in 3 years while maintaining the responsibilities of being a scholarship athlete. 

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Did I say anywhere that Combs did anything wrong?  What I at least attempted to say is the transfer system now greatly favors the powers.  It was fine when little used athletes were transferring down to get playing time like Morris.  It benefited both teams, the powers freeing up a ship and the other team getting a good player.   That is not necessary the case anymore.  What you are seeing more and more is the powers picking up the best players from the lesser conferences.   Schools are going to evaluate redshirts and summer school in that light, they would be stupid not to do so.    

Back to Combs, I believe the coaching change was the overriding factor in his decision.  Combs probably gave up a chance to be a NT hall of famer and a chance to be the catalyst on hopefully a much improved ball team.   I am sure it was not an easy decision. and I really hope it works out for him.    

• Upvote 1