'18 RB Anthony Johnson (Magnolia)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

@TheReal_jayD can you confirm?

Im trying to get confirmation. But he has only received an offer from army. So I'm thinking this may be a situation where we cooled off. But we will see

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Im trying to get confirmation. But he has only received an offer from army. So I'm thinking this may be a situation where we cooled off. But we will see

Update he has decomitted 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Think we’ll Go after another RB or use that scholarship for a different position?

Not gonna speak for JayD, but if we don't get a back this class we'd be down to 4 scholarship backs with eligibility going into next year (Smith, Johnson, Siggers, and Wyche). We have 6 on this year's roster with Wilson and Tucker leaving.

I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't sign an RB this class, but 4 could be dangerously low. If a dude went down early in the season or in camp, you'd be looking at going most of or the whole season with 3 smaller backs. Maybe Tyreke Davis could help fill in, but I think we probably get one to be safe. 

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Not gonna speak for JayD, but if we don't get a back this class we'd be down to 4 scholarship backs with eligibility going into next year (Smith, Johnson, Siggers, and Wyche). We have 6 on this year's roster with Wilson and Tucker leaving.

I wouldn't be too upset if we didn't sign an RB this class, but 4 could be dangerously low. If a dude went down early in the season or in camp, you'd be looking at going most of or the whole season with 3 smaller backs. Maybe Tyreke Davis could help fill in, but I think we probably get one to be safe. 

I completely agree with this. I have a feeling they maybe looking for a bigger RB to complement Smith and Johnson  

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Update he has decomitted 

He's having a great season, wonder if we cooled off or the season he's having he wants to keep his options opened. On the positive, RB is by far our biggest strength so maybe we use this for another dlineman

I'm actually a little worried about RB down the road. We don't have a prototypical back right after Jeff is gone. I'd like to see some prototypical size/speed in a RB. Even if he needed a red shirt year. Nic Smith is listed at 5"8, 182. We either need a bruiser or a prototype back to compliment him. I'll be interested to see Smith when he isn't our change-up.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I completely agree with this. I have a feeling they maybe looking for a bigger RB to complement Smith and Johnson  

To bad we lost out on Lee, the kid from OK that committed to Nevada.

43 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

I'm actually a little worried about RB down the road. We don't have a prototypical back right after Jeff is gone. I'd like to see some prototypical size/speed in a RB. Even if he needed a red shirt year. Nic Smith is listed at 5"8, 182. We either need a bruiser or a prototype back to compliment him. I'll be interested to see Smith when he isn't our change-up.

Smith and Johnson to me seem like similar backs and Siggers seemed to be more physical but he was still under 200 lbs... Totally agree we need a power back

Why do we need a power back?  I wouldn't consider Dunbar, Cobbs, Thomas or Galbreath power backs and all of them, minus Dunbar, played in run heavy systems.  Dunbar was the smallest yet is our career rushing leader.  Our recent RB's that I wojld consider "power backs" were Byrd, Montgomery and maybe the young man from Nederland, name escapes me.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why do we need a power back?  I wouldn't consider Dunbar, Cobbs, Thomas or Galbreath power backs and all of them, minus Dunbar, played in run heavy systems.  Dunbar was the smallest yet is our career rushing leader.  Our recent RB's that I wojld consider "power backs" were Byrd, Montgomery and maybe the young man from Nederland, name escapes me.

I think you always want to have a power back to compliment your main guy, or to use in short - yardage options.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Micah Mosley, 6-0, 219. Nederland HS

22 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I feel you forgot our most recent power back. http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reggie_pegram_847342.html 

5'9" 230lbs is a load. Weighed the same as Cannon Maki and 2" shorter.

Edited by Cr1028

12 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I feel you forgot our most recent power back. http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/reggie_pegram_847342.html 

5'9" 230lbs is a load. Weighed the same as Cannon Maki and 2" shorter.

Pegram was fantastic for us too for what he was asked to do. I'd love a power back in here

• Lovely Take 1

• 3 months later...