Is it time to drop "North Texas" and become UNT?

Harry

Is it time to drop "North Texas" and become UNT for Athletics?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to drop "North Texas" and become UNT?

• I like "UNT"
    • I like "North Texas"

The name does not make you.  You make the name.   Southern Cal is not called a directional school because they are an elite institution.  If we improve our academics and athletics we will not be called a directional school as well. 

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

The name does not make you.  You make the name.   Southern Cal is not called a directional school because they are an elite institution.  If we improve our academics and athletics we will not be called a directional school as well. 

USC is not called a directional school because that is a pejorative term reserved for schools not in the P5. The designation is used against a lot of schools and has absolutely nothing to do with academic performance because those using it have no idea what the academic performance of any of the schools actually is.

• Upvote 2

Recent grad here. In the metroplex, UNT is the default. With all the school abbreviations it's easy: UNT, SMU, TCU, UTD... But when I go back to the east coast, North Texas has much more recognition; a lot of people know of someone who lives in or near DFW. 

I mean, I live in the next state over now, and nobody knows what the hell UNT is. Except for those salty Arkansas State fans...

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

It'll be interesting to hear the thoughts of some of the younger alums on this matter. I don't understand how going exclusively with UNT somehow eliminates the "directional" issue, since one of the letters in UNT represents a direction. I don't ever hear anyone associated with Southern Methodist University being concerned about their name being too directional. Especially since their name is somewhat inaccurate, since Dallas is located more in the Southwest than in the South. 

Same for Southern Cal. They don't seem to worry about the generic direction in their name.

In both of my examples neither of the schools have the letters of their school on their helmets, as well as not having their generic names. And now, the same goes for North Texas. We have the SOW.

North Texas has always been what we've called ourselves......much like Southern Methodist, and Southern Cal.

I don't see any advantage in changing it.

Those two schools are not very good citations as they both go by the shortened monikers (SMU & USC, respectively).

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Recent grad here. In the metroplex, UNT is the default. With all the school abbreviations it's easy: UNT, SMU, TCU, UTD... But when I go back to the east coast, North Texas has much more recognition; a lot of people know of someone who lives in or near DFW. 

I mean, I live in the next state over now, and nobody knows what the hell UNT is. Except for those salty Arkansas State fans...

Welcome to the site!

4 minutes ago, Tyler Maryak said:

Lol, still yep.

Dang it - it was your wife, wasn't it? It's not a criticism either - just more you get used to hearing something presented to you long enough and it sounds right. 

• Upvote 2

Just do what the big boys do...use the best logo or brand for certain situations. Two P5 schools that are similar to us in name are:

1. University of North Carolina: (UNC), (North Carolina), ram & interlocked NC for spirit/sports branding

2. University of Southern California: (USC), (Southern Cal), Trojan & interlocked SC for spirit/sports branding 

University of North Texas: (UNT), (North Texas), eagle & interlocked NT for spirit/sports branding

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

20 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Maybe I just like what I know... or maybe RV was right???

NOPE!!  I just like what I know.  Damn you RV!!!!

We call that paradox Schrodinger's Noid. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

I like both. And both should be used. Simple fact is that we are UNT and North Texas. One doesn't hurt the other. 

USC uses both.

A whole lot of people refer to USC as Southern Cal here.  Outside of LA I know it's rare, but it's about 50/50 here.

• Upvote 2