Tope Arikawe commits to UNT

Cooley

So I take it Combs is leaving and maybe Fuller? We only lost one post player to graduation but have 3 post players coming in on scholarship. We had three open ships, but would have one more if Keith didn't come back. I'm getting confused now on who is coming and going though.

• Upvote 4

• Harry featured this topic
18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So I take it Combs is leaving and maybe Fuller? We only lost one post player to graduation but have 3 post players coming in on scholarship. We had three open ships, but would have one more if Keith didn't come back. I'm getting confused now on who is coming and going though.

I look for them to over sign. I expect Combs to stay. But others could be transferring

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I look for them to over sign. I expect Combs to stay. But others could be transferring

The only other ones I could think of are Pittman and Fuller. Everyone else has been seen with the cosch and around at the events etc...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I get oversigning in Football (still don't like it and think it should be illegal, but anyway, right now its not), when you sign 28 and have 10 that are a qualification risk it is reasonable to assume that 3 might not make it.The numbers are likely to approximately shake out. But how does it work in B-Ball, when you only got like 3 ships to give and 4  or 5 players you sign? The numbers are just too small for it to be likely to shake out without people having to refuse giving ships to players in the end or not getting enough players in /getting a bad positional split. I'd hate it particularly, if we told a player he will get a ship, and then reneg after he signs.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We had 13 scholarships players this year. 3 of them are for sure gone (Reese, Johnson, and Green), and another is very likely to be gone in Keith Frazier. That would leave 9 returning scholarship players.

We had 2 signees in Wainwright and Simmons. Wainwright was released from his LOI so that left us with 1 signee in Simmons. Simmons plus our 9 returning scholarship players is 10, leaving us with 3 spots.

Those 3 spots have been filled with Roosevelt Smart, Tikhonenko, and Arikawe. Assuming Frazier is gone, we have now reached the point where we would be full for next year if our 9 players who weren't seniors all were to return. Each additional signee from here would mean someone of those 9 will not be returning.

Good stuff @BillySee58

So based on our roster being full with the player as you indicate -- what does the starting lineup look like now?  Assuming Combs is back and we retain everyone... 

43 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

We had 13 scholarships players this year. 3 of them are for sure gone (Reese, Johnson, and Green), and another is very likely to be gone in Keith Frazier. That would leave 9 returning scholarship players.

We had 2 signees in Wainwright and Simmons. Wainwright was released from his LOI so that left us with 1 signee in Simmons. Simmons plus our 9 returning scholarship players is 10, leaving us with 3 spots.

Those 3 spots have been filled with Roosevelt Smart, Tikhonenko, and Arikawe. Assuming Frazier is gone, we have now reached the point where we would be full for next year if our 9 players who weren't seniors all were to return. Each additional signee from here would mean someone of those 9 will not be returning.

That leaves us with 8 players over 6'7. That's a tall line up for a coach that like she to push the ball and get out in transition. Combs and Holston playing all time at the 3?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cooley said:

Why is the basketball team so much better at these promotional recruiting items then the football team? I cant put my finger on the word but its like putting the player in a sportscenter update or on the scoreboard above. The football team is horrible at these things in my opinion

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Why is the basketball team so much better at these promotional recruiting items then the football team? I cant put my finger on the word but its like putting the player in a sportscenter update or on the scoreboard above. The football team is horrible at these things in my opinion

I actually like the football recruitment announcements.

My only gripe about the releases from the AD are the video productions.  Don't care for the music, but that's just my preference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I actually like the football recruitment announcements.

My only gripe about the releases from the AD are the video productions.  Don't care for the music, but that's just my preference.

I think they can improve stuff like this for sure... http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011717aaa.html but thats just me. There is always room for improvement and I think they need to get on the same level as Houston and some of the other Joneses

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I think they can improve stuff like this for sure... http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011717aaa.html but thats just me. There is always room for improvement and I think they need to get on the same level as Houston and some of the other Joneses

There is probably someone on the AD staff worth reaching out to, just to exchange ideas.

My last comment would only be, be specific in what you like about what other's are doing.  Don't just repeat another school's efforts just because they are doing it.  There are some things I think could be worth trying, and others that are not.  Houston did something different, and I don't think it's any better.  We get a clear photo of the recruits in our's.  Just stick a hashtag in there and we'd be golden.

ETA: anyone else notice the Nissan branding on the Houston photo? Interesting that sponsorship has worked its way into AD releases.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Good stuff @BillySee58

So based on our roster being full with the player as you indicate -- what does the starting lineup look like now?  Assuming Combs is back and we retain everyone... 

I'd have to imagine in that scenario you pencil in Combs at the 4, Woolridge at point, and Lawson either at the 2 or 3.

After that probably between Smart and Brown to start at the 2. At the other post, I think ideally it would be Brice at center if he can realize his potential, with Arikawe probably next up and Temara as the option if those guys still aren't ready.

I'm really intrigued by Tikhonenko. Hard to find film on him but if he really is a true stretch 4 at 6'10", and he really did have offers on the table from Iowa State, Vandy, and Baylor then he could really be a star in CUSA.

• Upvote 2