IPF is happening

Wag Tag

11 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Weight room, maybe. But they just spent a buttload of $$$$$ renovating and improving the team meeting areas in the AC. Don't see why you would move them after you just rebuilt them.

Well the position rooms from what we have seem to be very small (The videos with the QBs and LBs), and they also seem to have to use the team meeting room to watch film as well. I know its a not a major problem (Since the recent upgrades) but if we are going to going to be stepping up our facilities, we need to be aiming to be far and away the #1 in C-USA not just competing to match up with the #1. 

3 hours ago, Ole Green Guts said:

It is AMAZING to see what common sense, forward thinking and initative have accomplished in such a short time.  I pray that we can keep Wren around for a long, long time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

And people say that WB been doing nothing the entire time he has been here. 

But I agree 100%, would love to keep WB, SL, and GM around for a long time

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Well the position rooms from what we have seem to be very small (The videos with the QBs and LBs), and they also seem to have to use the team meeting room to watch film as well. I know its a not a major problem (Since the recent upgrades) but if we are going to going to be stepping up our facilities, we need to be aiming to be far and away the #1 in C-USA not just competing to match up with the #1. 

I am waiting for a few certain people to admit they were wrong about WB.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not gonna lie, Harry. With our history, the whole Facility-X-is-gonna-be-a-game-changer/recruitment-tool for us mantra is lost on me.  

Agree.  If everyone else has one, you are still at square one:  recruits looking at who is winning consistently.  Kansas and Iowa State had the first IPFs in the Big 12, and neither have become "game-changing" football programs because of it.

As stated before, this is a "we want it because everyone else has it," not a "we need it for a legitimate purpose" build.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Agree.  If everyone else has one, you are still at square one:  recruits looking at who is winning consistently.  Kansas and Iowa State had the first IPFs in the Big 12, and neither have become "game-changing" football programs because of it.

As stated before, this is a "we want it because everyone else has it," not a "we need it for a legitimate purpose" build.

While I agree with bolded 1.  I don't believe they are mutually exclusive.   I believe bolded 2 is incorrect & it is absolutely a legitimate need.
Do you not think we need to do everything we can to win?   Building this structure is a part of that process.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

if having it just puts us at square one, then not having it had us at square negative one.  while this may not be a monumental shift for our program, to say it doesn't help is just wrong.

i would say we NEED it because everyone else has it.  while we aren't in a snowy area of the world, denton is in a bad weather area of the world especially at this time of year.  rain and lightning has kept us from practicing quite a bit in the past.  so, need it for a legitimate reason, no. however, it's going to be helpful.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

While I agree with bolded 1.  I don't believe they are mutually exclusive.   I believe bolded 2 is incorrect & it is absolutely a legitimate need.
Do you not think we need to do everything we can to win?   Building this structure is a part of that process.

Again, almost every school has one now.  Having one hasn't changed the balance of power in any conference.  As stated before, if practicing and playing indoors were a "game-changer" Minnesota and Syracuse would have been stockpiling conference and national title for the past three to four decades.   

In order to gain better recruits, winning is the bottom line.  The construction of Apogee, the most sorely needed upgrade we had, didn't change our fortunes. 

We have to win.  That's the bottom line.  This IPF is simply us playing catch up to programs already ahead of us, same as Apogee was. 

This is what a game-changer would be: 
-Hiring a name coach or coordinator for $2-3 million dollars a year for football or men's basketball
-Beating a P5 power on the road, then doing it again, and again, and again

Nothing changes what recruits want:  winning.

4 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

if having it just puts us at square one, then not having it had us at square negative one.  while this may not be a monumental shift for our program, to say it doesn't help is just wrong.

i would say we NEED it because everyone else has it.  while we aren't in a snowy area of the world, denton is in a bad weather area of the world especially at this time of year.  rain and lightning has kept us from practicing quite a bit in the past.  so, need it for a legitimate reason, no. however, it's going to be helpful.

Absolutely.  If everyone's at square one, you are then looking at who is winning.

As far as legitimate need, in this part of the country...it's just laughable.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Again, almost every school has one now.  Having one hasn't changed the balance of power in any conference.  As stated before, if practicing and playing indoors were a "game-changer" Minnesota and Syracuse would have been stockpiling conference and national title for the past three to four decades.   

In order to gain better recruits, winning is the bottom line.  The construction of Apogee, the most sorely needed upgrade we had, didn't change our fortunes. 

We have to win.  That's the bottom line.  This IPF is simply us playing catch up to programs already ahead of us, same as Apogee was. 

-Hiring a name coach or coordinator for $2-3 million dollars a year for football or men's basketball

You may be mixing up arguments.    "game-changing" was Harry's term.   And I agree with you, an IPF is not going to be any more of a "game-changer" than Apogee was.  But I didn't say that.   I'm just not marginalizing the IPF as you appear to be.
However, building one does nothing but help our chances to win (whether it helps to provide an additional 2-3 practices/year or serves as the last straw that attracts a specific recruit...), which as you pointed out, is the bottom line.

I like the fact that we used our familiarity with the hot weather to beat down Ball State a couple of years ago.  Practicing in A/C for an outdoor sport is ridiculous.  The sad thing is that this is what kids expect these days.  I was talking to a good friend earlier and he mentioned a co-worker's son was an OL prospect that would be on our level.  He asked if he had even looked at UNT yet and the kid's first response was, "Do they have an indoor facility?"  I don't get it, but I played when we ate salt tablets and water was a reward not a requirement.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 9

Funny how people bitch about not committing to sports.  We start committing to sports and people bitch.

I think we can all agree that a lot of things are not absolutely necessary when it comes to sports (and other things), but we spend for fear of losing ground with our peers (or desired peers).

• Upvote 7

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

Funny how people bitch about not committing to sports.  We start committing to sports and people bitch.

I think we can all agree that a lot of things are not absolutely necessary when it comes to sports (and other things), but we spend for fear of losing ground with our peers (or desired peers).

Some of us split hairs about why we need it, I only see one person kinda saying we don't need it.  I don't see any bitching.

Always good to read @Ole Green Guts!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I like the fact that we used our familiarity with the hot weather to beat down Ball State a couple of years ago.  Practicing in A/C for an outdoor sport is ridiculous.  The sad thing is that this is what kids expect these days.  I was talking to a good friend earlier and he mentioned a co-worker's son was an OL prospect that would be on our level.  He asked if he had even looked at UNT yet and the kid's first response was, "Do they have an indoor facility?"  I don't get it, but I played when we ate salt tablets and water was a reward not a requirement.

THEY AREN'T GOING TO PRACTICE IN IT NON STOP........ IT JUST ALLOWS THEM THE OPTION!!!! Good lord. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GMG24 said:

THEY AREN'T GOING TO PRACTICE IN IT NON STOP........ IT JUST ALLOWS THEM THE OPTION!!!! Good lord. 

For instance: No need to cancel or delay a practice if there is lightning in the area. Just moved indoors with minimal interruption.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

For instance: No need to cancel or delay a practice if there is lightning in the area. Just moved indoors with minimal interruption.

or for instance, its 108 degrees with a heat index of 118 and you're required to take a break every 15 minutes under shade with no pads on OR you say hey I'd rather get my full 2 hour practice in today, tomorrow when its only 100 and we can practice without mandated breaks. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

100 % agreed, its part of the process of becoming a legitimate power and another recruiting tool for coaches of multiple sports. Also, I'm sure that UNT can rent it out as well for other events (track meets, recruiting showcases, etc). 

55 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Absolutely.  If everyone's at square one, you are then looking at who is winning.

As far as legitimate need, in this part of the country...it's just laughable.   

We can pick out schools that have invested that have no seen the rewards, but for example ISU, KU, Minny, and Syracuse are all in p5 conferences and they are getting fat amounts of money for being the bottom feeders. Also, KU and Syracuse are schools that Basketball is #1 and I would also say so is ISU with basketball. 

We can say that IPF should help Minny and Syracuse, but just as we would use it for the heat, they use it during the winter when their conditions worsen.

Also, as I will state later in this post but the an IPF will be around here far longer possibly than SL, or anyone of the coaches on the staff. If us having a IPF makes UNT more attractive to the next SL then build it. Also, its will be used for OTHER SPORTS and not just Football. It will aid the womens soccer team, among others as well. Recruiting is about the bells and whistles and recruits like to be go places with the newest and fanciest toys. Just as if you were looking for a job, you wanna go to the place that offers the most resources even if you don't use them or even if you don't really need it compared to a place that offers the same services but not the bells and whistles. 

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We have to remember as @GMG24 brought up is that the breaks are something that weight into the practices. I assure you that we will still practice outside, but when doing 2-a days, if you can practice outside in the AM and then do some meetings then have another practice inside when its 105 out helps the guys then do it. We saw in the Beyond the green that Ashton did, that Fred Scott talked about they would be at practice from like 7am (eatting/ getting ready for practice) for practice at 9 then do meetings, they would have a break, then go back and do practice and more tape in the evening, with him getting home late when the sun was going down. If we can make it so they can practice from like 7-3 or 4 thats great because its of the recovery time. 

Also the heat puts stresses on the human body, if the IPF improves our conditioning even a little great. And as brought up before, we have not had anyone hurt from the Heat, but no need to risk it because 1 is to many. 

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

or for instance, its 108 degrees with a heat index of 118 and you're required to take a break every 15 minutes under shade with no pads on OR you say hey I'd rather get my full 2 hour practice in today, tomorrow when its only 100 and we can practice without mandated breaks. 

I do agree with you on everything that the IPF offers alot of flexibity when it comes to practicing if it does save us from time breaks, etc, but the IPF also will be used for OTHER sports as well. Just having a IPF shows that we are serious, also it is something that will be around even after any coach leaves, and is an additional point for us to sale to coaches after someone leaves. 

Recruiting is all about the bells and whistles, and having a IPF gives us a leg up over XYZ school great, if it keeps us in the running with a bigger name XYZ school great. 

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

And Smatresk

Agreed NS, WB, SL and GM, heck even JM of WBB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

I understand that.  My opinion is that for the investment, the usage is very low, but it is a necessary evil to remain competitive with "the Joneses."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Ole Green Guts said:

It is AMAZING to see what common sense, forward thinking and initative have accomplished in such a short time.  I pray that we can keep Wren around for a long, long time.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I know many people are tired of hearing "Why not UNT", but it's freaking nice to finally have an administration (AD and above) that do not look at us a "small-time". While we might not have pockets as deep as others there is no reason we can't do it right! It's not going to happen overnight but the foundation is being built for something we can take pride in.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes, the position meeting rooms are small and there aren't enough for each position group. Consequently, some groups have to watch film upstairs in the coaches offices and others in the team meeting room. Ideally, you have enough position meeting rooms for each group and they are sized appropriately for each group. Our recruiting peers do not have this issue.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I understand that.  My opinion is that for the investment, the usage is very low, but it is a necessary evil to remain competitive with "the Joneses."

We all respect and understand that people don't see the value in the investment. We get that why pay X millions in dollars for a IPF instead of using that money to pay SL and his staff top money or why this or that. But it is something that has become the standard in college sports. 

Again the IPF will be here long after SL and other coaches leave. The IPF is a huge recruiting tool, and yes its stupid but HS kids are looking for the bells and whistles. The more shiny and outside the box the better. Heck just within the last few years, coaching staffs started hiring graphic design people to send kids a card saying you have an offer! Someone is getting paid to do graphic design 50-60k!

What WB and the AD office need to do is find ways to max out the IPF outside of when UNT needs it for Football, Soccer, Track and whatever sports use it. Rent it out or even offer it to recruiting camps as a way to showcase UNT, find ways to bring in extra revenue for the program and school. 

2 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Yes, the position meeting rooms are small and there aren't enough for each position group. Consequently, some groups have to watch film upstairs in the coaches offices and others in the team meeting room. Ideally, you have enough position meeting rooms for each group and they are sized appropriately for each group. Our recruiting peers do not have this issue.

This is something that needs to change. If NS and WB, truly believe and think that this is school that can and will be a Tier 1 Sports School as well as Tier 1 for Education this is when they need to invest and dream big.

Don't just be tied for the best in C-USA, or the best by a little bit by C-USA, strive to be better than any G-5 school. Beat the Miami (OH), beat Marshall, and be on par or better than the P5 like OSU or CU that they visited on the trip. Plan big because this energy and potential booster/ alumni support and energy may not be around for long.  This is when you want to have schools come visit UNT. UNT is a potential gold mine, in terms of # of Alumni and its accessibility to the DFW Market, if WB and NS do this right, we could see consideration for a jump when re-alignment comes up because of Facilities, Education, and the Market. 

WB and NS have not been shyed away so far in terms of $ with regards to the recruiting budget, and the buyout of GM. Now its time to give SL and the guys, something that can help them in terms of recruiting and something for recruits to look at and say "Damn, they don't have this at XYZ, or Man they got this at XYZ P5 as well."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1