DRC; McCasland addresses students, Combs still pondering future

Brett Vito

all good.  I like this hire more and more as this show plays out.  I am going on record that Coach Mac (if we can call him that) stays here a long time.  Decent $, Big school, Good location (family and recruiting), not the pressure cooker of some schools.  If he can bring UNT to the point of contending year in and year out for a conference championship, make the NCAA more times than not....  Why not make UNT a career job.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

16 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

all good.  I like this hire more and more as this show plays out.  I am going on record that Coach Mac (if we can call him that) stays here a long time.  Decent $, Big school, Good location (family and recruiting), not the pressure cooker of some schools.  If he can bring UNT to the point of contending year in and year out for a conference championship, make the NCAA more times than not....  Why not make UNT a career job.

Because if he can do that, a power5 school will come calling with much deeper pockets and a much bigger stage for him to coach on.

I get that everyone wants a coach (basketball and football) to stick around at UNT if he does well, just don't bank on it... ever... unless we somehow make it into a P5 conference ourselves.  It's just not the position we're in.  There are not many Mark Few's out there.   And coach McCasland has already shown he's not a Mark Few by jumping here after only 1 season at ARSt.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm waiting for the Big 12 to implode and then we tag along whatever conference Baylor, Tech, TCU, etc. form and then UNT is a dream job and we don't have to worry about our coaches being poached.

If you're going to dream, dream big.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm waiting for the Big 12 to implode and then we tag along whatever conference Baylor, Tech, TCU, etc. form and then UNT is a dream job and we don't have to worry about our coaches being poached.

That scenario represents a major move up for UNT, but we'd still be second tier behind the P4 (or whatever the most powerful conferences will be called). I'd think we'd still be subject to coach poaching, but a bit less than we are now.

Edited by Army of Dad

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

If you're going to dream, dream big.

No other way to do it!

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

That scenario represents a major move up for UNT, but we'd still be second tier behind the P4 (or whatever the most powerful conferences will be called). I'd think we'd still be subject to coach poaching, but a bit less than we are now.

Definitely a lot of speculation involved, but where do you think the 10 schools would wind up IF the Big 12 did cease to exist?

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Definitely a lot of speculation involved, but where do you think the 10 schools would wind up IF the Big 12 did cease to exist?

OU - SEC

OSU - SEC or Pac

UT - Anywhere but the SEC--they won't be associated with their academics.  Probably Pac.

WVU - ACC

KU - B1G

KSU, TT, Baylor, Iowa State, TCU - Probably form new conference, cherry pick a few out of other conferences.

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

OU - SEC

OSU - SEC or Pac

UT - Anywhere but the SEC--they won't be associated with their academics.  Probably Pac.

WVU - ACC

KU - B1G

KSU, TT, Baylor, Iowa State, TCU - Probably form new conference, cherry pick a few out of other conferences.

The NEW SWC sounds good to me

Grant McCasland - Head Coach  940-565-3654
admin asssistant Bonita White
email: bonita.white@unt.edu  twitter:  @UNTCoachGMac

Ross Hodge - Associate HC  940-565-3448
email: ross.hodge@unt.edu  
twitter:  @coachrosshodge

James Miller - Assistant Coach  940-565-3448
email: james.miller2@unt.edu  
twitter:  @JMiller_Coach

Jareem Dowling - Assistant Coach  940-565-3448
email: jareem.dowling@unt.edu