DRC breaking news -- UNT assistants receiving pay raises

Brett Vito

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Coach Brown's salary still concerns me.  He did a great job coaching up his guys last year.

I was shocked as well at what Brown was making compared to Filani. I wonder if Brown is doing a discounted price, because of his Associate HC role. Maybe the title makes him more attractive possibly for in the future?

Not to bash Filani, but did he bring in an recruits? Brown landed Pearson, Johnson, and I'm sure he was busy with some of the other guys from HOU as well. 

• Upvote 3

Happy to see this.  I hope we are committed to staying at or near the very the top of the conference with our staff salaries in the various sports, especially the high profile sports.  No reason we should not be able to consistently put winners on the field/court.  None.  What a refreshing change seeing the commitment from administration.

• Upvote 3

This sure is necessary, although I would almost rather see two year contracts, which would mean schools have to pay buyouts if they want our guys, but would take a more long term commitment from both school and coaches. I am sure it would be a good argument in recruiting tough, if the assistants that recruit a player are more likely to stay because their contracts are not only yearly.

Particularly happy about Reffett and Browns raises. Not so sure about whether Harrell really already proved whether he deserved a raise.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I was shocked as well at what Brown was making compared to Filani. I wonder if Brown is doing a discounted price, because of his Associate HC role. Maybe the title makes him more attractive possibly for in the future?

Not to bash Filani, but did he bring in an recruits? Brown landed Pearson, Johnson, and I'm sure he was busy with some of the other guys from HOU as well. 

No all coaches know titles don't mean S unless it can be validated as to what he actually did. 

130k as a Special Teams coach in CUSA?  

Let me put that into comparison

Last year's CUSA Special Teams Coordinators (Plus other listed positions) and their salaries:

UTSA- Ricky Brumfield  (ST & TE)                     $100,000

UTEP - Don Yanowsky (ST/Recruiting/Safeties)   $90,000

Rice - Darrell Patterson (AHC/LB/ST)                Not Listed (Private School)

USM-                                                                  None listed as ST

Marshall - Adam Fuller (AHC/LB/ST)                  $115,500

La Tech -                                                            None listed as ST

WKU -  Mike Sanford Sr. (New ST)                   Previous year was Tony Levine for just 50k (Houston still paying him)

MTSU -                                                              None listed as ST

The coaching staff and AD must really like Biagi.

7 hours ago, outoftown said:

This sure is necessary, although I would almost rather see two year contracts, which would mean schools have to pay buyouts if they want our guys, but would take a more long term commitment from both school and coaches. I am sure it would be a good argument in recruiting tough, if the assistants that recruit a player are more likely to stay because their contracts are not only yearly.

Particularly happy about Reffett and Browns raises. Not so sure about whether Harrell really already proved whether he deserved a raise.

I too struggle to see why Harrell is our highest paid assistant... to me, D-coordinator should be since we will run Littrell's offense anyway. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

We are now going to have a nutritionist for football and now one for basketball? Cool.

I wish would could do like Baylor has done and create a combined dinning hall and sports nutrition program for all athletics. Every athlete gets specific, individualized nutrition in meals served all in one location to make things easier. They also hold nutrition education programs so the kids will understand how to make better food choices after graduation. It was created after a UConn basketball player made a comment about hungry nights when he wasn't able to eat. After being asked, Scott Drew told the administration that happened to Baylor players as well. That lead to raising funds to open the 24 hour athletic nutrition center. We don't necessary need a dedicated cafeteria, but designating one to serve all the athletes are remain open would be a great step in the right direction. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, All About UNT said:

The coaching staff and AD must really like Biagi.

I hear he can flat out recruit... if that is the case we need to pay him so he will stick around.

10 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I too struggle to see why Harrell is our highest paid assistant

It's too early to question Harrell's comp.  He didn't have the personnel last season.  With a healthy Fine, the receiver corp they have now, and with a year under their belts in the system this thing could explode.  O-Line is the key.

46 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

I wish would could do like Baylor has done and create a combined dinning hall and sports nutrition program for all athletics. Every athlete gets specific, individualized nutrition in meals served all in one location to make things easier. They also hold nutrition education programs so the kids will understand how to make better food choices after graduation. It was created after a UConn basketball player made a comment about hungry nights when he wasn't able to eat. After being asked, Scott Drew told the administration that happened to Baylor players as well. That lead to raising funds to open the 24 hour athletic nutrition center. We don't necessary need a dedicated cafeteria, but designating one to serve all the athletes are remain open would be a great step in the right direction. 

I know it isn't considered a 24 hour nutrition center, but isn't the cafeteria in Victory Hall, Champ's Cafe, the dining hall for all student athletes?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I know it isn't considered a 24 hour nutrition center, but isn't the cafeteria in Victory Hall, Champ's Cafe, the dining hall for all student athletes?

I am not sure if we need a 24 hour facility.  I agree in a solid nutrition program that is available to meet the players schedule...maybe extended hour both early and late.

I don't think another 10-30k a year is enough to keep any of these guys from going to a P5 program.  It will hopefully be enough to make us more attractive when having to fill more positions in the future.  Paying our assistants has been long overdue.

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 1

Guys, I am happy that we have the funds to give assistants pay raises and head coach a new contract after a 4 & 8 record against 1A opponents.However, it appears the bar is set pretty low for results if you are financially rewarded after your first season for losing 2/3's of your games.Just saying.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

58 minutes ago, wardly said:

Guys, I am happy that we have the funds to give assistants pay raises and head coach a new contract after a 4 & 8 record against 1A opponents.However, it appears the bar is set pretty low for results if you are financially rewarded after your first season for losing 2/3's of your games.Just saying.

5&8 including an OT bowl loss after the previous season deserves a raise. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

5&8 including an OT bowl loss after the previous season deserves a raise. 

So they deserve a raise because the previous season was bad?  It should be expected that a replacement outperforms a staff or someone that was fired.  You fired them because you expect better.  When you get better, that is why you hired them in the first place.

So, does 6-7 or 7-6 get him another raise? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

So they deserve a raise because the previous season was bad?  It should be expected that a replacement outperforms a staff or someone that was fired.  You fired them because you expect better.  When you get better, that is why you hired them in the first place.

So, does 6-7 or 7-6 get him another raise? 

He got one additional year.  And how do you think more money became available for the assistant coaching pool? 
The McCarney extension was after year 3, and he signed another 5 year deal.  That's 3 additional years.  Quite a difference.

He turned the team around to the tune of 4 wins.   Do I think he'll do it again and win 9 games this year?  No.   Should the standards be higher than another 5-7 year, or even 6-6? Absolutely.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

54 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Do I think he'll do it again and win 9 games this year?  

If he does, sure let's give him a small raise and add one more year. How many nine win seasons have we had? Going from one win to nine deserves a something than "you're just doing your job." 

But after that, he needs Bowl wins and/or league championships for extensions. 

57 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

If he does, sure let's give him a small raise and add one more year. How many nine win seasons have we had? Going from one win to nine deserves a something than "you're just doing your job." 

But after that, he needs Bowl wins and/or league championships for extensions. 

After going 5-7 with a team that looked like a rudderless ship last year, I would say he did more than "just doing your job".

3-9, a 2-game improvement?   That's "doing your job".

Again though, I think the new deal has less to do with extending Littrell himself for 1 year, and more to do with asst coaches salaries.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

After going 5-7 with a team that looked like a rudderless ship last year, I would say he did more than "just doing your job".

3-9, a 2-game improvement?   That's "doing your job".

Again though, I think the new deal has less to do with extending Littrell himself for 1 year, and more to do with asst coaches salaries.

5-8 is 5-8...

We went from horrible to being only bad.  It's still 5-8.  Once again, you are comparing him to the previous UNT trash instead of comparing him to the rest of college football.  Being better than Mac and Chico is nothing.

If i hired someone in business and the previous person that I replaced stole from the company, called in, and never did their work on time I would hope my next hire could immediately come in and not be terrible.  I would expect an upgrade immediately.

Littrel is an upgrade from (2015 mac) and has shown he has some "potential"  He hasn't proven anything though.  If Mac would have still had Skladany, he could have pulled off the same type of season...cause the games we won were still due to the defense. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, GOMG2013 said:

5-8 is 5-8...

We went from horrible to being only bad.  It's still 5-8.  Once again, you are comparing him to the previous UNT trash instead of comparing him to the rest of college football.  Being better than Mac and Chico is nothing.

If i hired someone in business and the previous person that I replaced stole from the company, called in, and never did their work on time I would hope my next hire could immediately come in and not be terrible.  I would expect an upgrade immediately.

Littrel is an upgrade from (2015 mac) and has shown he has some "potential"  He hasn't proven anything though.  If Mac would have still had Todd Dodge's recruits, he could have pulled off the same type of season...cause the games we won were still due to the defense. 

FTFY