I know that it isn't on anyone's radar...

golfingomez

Women's athletics are horrible when it comes to mismatches.  It's difficult enough watching the slower pace of basketball after being accustomed to watching NBA and Division I men's.  This type of stuff is just pointless. 

Hopefully, they ran clock in the second half.  When you're up 61-13 at half and 93-24 after three quarters...what, really, is the point of continuing the game? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

On 3/21/2017 at 11:06 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Women's athletics are horrible when it comes to mismatches.  It's difficult enough watching the slower pace of basketball after being accustomed to watching NBA and Division I men's.  This type of stuff is just pointless. 

Hopefully, they ran clock in the second half.  When you're up 61-13 at half and 93-24 after three quarters...what, really, is the point of continuing the game? 

I'm not a big fan of dynasties. I'm really tired of UConn and I don't think their dominance is good for the growth of the sport. I don't know for sure but there are so many mismatches in the first two rounds that that must be why they have games played at the higher seeds' arenas and not neutral sites to drive attendance.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm not a big fan of dynasties. I'm really tired of UConn and I don't think they're dominance is good for the growth of the sport. I don't know for sure but there are so many mismatches in the first two rounds that that must be why they have games played at the higher seeds' arenas and not neutral sites to drive attendance.

There is not as much parity in women's basketball.  Once UCONN established itself, and Summit retired from Tennessee, this is the way I have seen it unfold:

UNCONN
----
Baylor
ND
Tennessee
-----
Everyone else

Not sure about that second tier.  I've been out of touch for a couple seasons.

• Upvote 1

there are fewer elite female athletes, so 1 team can load up and dominate...then that team can recruit off the success of the previous team.  For men, there are a lot more "elite" athletes that can spread the wealth so to speak across many teams.  Thus we get more parity from men's basketball as opposed to women's...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

There is not as much parity in women's basketball.  Once UCONN established itself, and Summit retired from Tennessee, this is the way I have seen it unfold:

UNCONN
----
Baylor
ND
Tennessee
-----
Everyone else

There are a couple of others that seem to kind of rotate in. Maybe Maryland, Oklahoma, A&M, and Stanford? I may be off on some of those though since I don't follow WBB close at all.

1 hour ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

there are fewer elite female athletes, so 1 team can load up and dominate...then that team can recruit off the success of the previous team.  For men, there are a lot more "elite" athletes that can spread the wealth so to speak across many teams.  Thus we get more parity from men's basketball as opposed to women's...

Another factor is that I'm petty sure women get more scholarships per team than men(I think it's 15). A side affect of football having so many 'ships. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, greenminer said:

UNCONN
----
Baylor
ND
Tennessee
-----
Everyone else

Hoping Baylor can put up a fight with the Lady Huskies this year. 109 or 110 or however many consecutive wins is impressive, but you also have to consider how terribly large the talent gap is in between them and the rest. Especially considering over 50 of those wins have been by more than 40 points. If Connecticut didn't already have a WNBA team, I would say they should just make this squad an expansion team.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

If Connecticut didn't already have a WNBA team, I would say they should just make this squad an expansion team.

The above statement comes up in some form or another every time we have any kind of college win streak.

This goes for any league, any sport: there is no college team in history that could compete with even the worst pro team in history.  NBA, WNBA, or NFL squad.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

The above statement comes up in some form or another every time we have any kind of college win streak.

This goes for any league, any sport: there is no college team in history that could compete with even the worst pro team in history.  NBA, WNBA, or NFL squad.

I admittedly get annoyed with the Alabama v. Browns, Kentucky v. "Trust the Process" Sixers debates, but this UConn dynasty is one college sports dynasty we haven't seen in our lifetimes. Would they win the WNBA Finals? No. Could they compete in a 12-team league where eight make the playoffs? I think that's definitely an argument worth having.

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

No. Could they compete in a 12-team league where eight make the playoffs? I think that's definitely an argument worth having.

50 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I'm waiting for the Big 12 to implode and then we tag along whatever conference Baylor, Tech, TCU, etc. form and then UNT is a dream job and we don't have to worry about our coaches being poached.

I'm starting to question your state of mind.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

If it is ever going to apply then it might for a women's team...

Edited by Army of Dad

Domination always ends at some point.  It does makes things very boring.  As low as women's college basketball ratings are now, I can't imagine the lack of competitiveness is helping.

I feel bad for the UConn and Baylor gals, to a certain degree because they work hard to do what they do, but in the large sports-scheme of things, so few people care.  It's like our soccer team here, if we bring it up as an example of good things happening in the athletic departments, we're immediately met with, "Meh...doesn't make us any money."

If it were a man's team winning 100 basketball games in a row, that's all you'd hear about, day after day, month after month, year after year.  UConn dominates and its, "Eh, so what...they always do.  It's just girls' basketball - what do you expect?"

I don't have any idea what the fix is for the imbalance in women's college basketball.  I just know that watching Baylor or UConn pound school after school isn't that exciting.  I think that at least back when UCLA had their dynasty, the scores were closer, the games more competitive.

For example, I think during the second year of their seven titles run, Drake almost knocked off the Bruins in the final four game.  Score was like 85-82.  Same in other years; UCLA was actually challenged many times during their streak, which made it all the more impressive.

How often are UConn and Baylor actually challenged during these tournaments?  Not often. 

So, unfortunately for the hard-working Husky and Bear gals, it's just not that interesting to watch.