UTA

EagleMBA

For what it is worth, UTA is kicking Akron's ass...bigtime! Up about 26 with about 11 minutes left to play. I'm flipping back and forth to another program but UTA looks good!

NIT 2nd round on ESPNU.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

Happy for the Mavs..I'll always remember when one of their fans came to my office in tears wanting all our leftover game programs from their last football game ever...their last game was against us.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

If we are to believe RPI means anything, they should be the favorites to win it all.

Don't know what Akron's RPI was by comparison, but UTA treated them like the bastard at the family reunion. UTA dominated. I'm no UTA fan but I respect what I saw them do.

amazing season. Kaelon Wilson making up points lost to Jalen Jones injury. Akron has a 6-10 290 guy that averages 17 pts a game and some good outside shooters but noone really drove to basket. The big center got in foul trouble and their shooters never heated up.

RPI: UTA 44.  Akron 59.  BYU 65

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I believe that our last football game against UTA was at Fouts in 1985.  We won 23-20.

I'm shocked that they have been able to survive without football...athletics being the window of a university and all that.

https://www.uta.edu/news/releases/2016/09/Fall-enrollment-2016.php

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I'm shocked that they have been able to survive without football...athletics being the window of a university and all that.

UTA is a heavy commuter college and serves a different purpose than the standard university. Don't get me wrong it is an excellent university, but it and UTD are focused on non-traditional, commuters. Much like we used to.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

UTA is a heavy commuter college and serves a different purpose than the standard university. Don't get me wrong it is an excellent university, but it and UTD are focused on non-traditional, commuters. Much like we used to.

UTD didn't have dorms but within the past decade or so they have been building on-campus housing like crazy. I think they are working to shift the image of being a heavy commuter college.

6 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

UTD didn't have dorms but within the past decade or so they have been building on-campus housing like crazy. I think they are working to shift the image of being a heavy commuter college.

They may be trying, but it is still disproportionately commuter. I had a few friends who went there. It has very little on-campus activities, etc and I know for a fact those dorms have high vacancies. UTA's average student age is pretty high. 28 as I recall. Those people don't want to live in dorms. If I lived in the Metroplex, I'm not really sure what the draw of living on campus would be either. It's not like young people are begging to get into Arlington. I mean this is a side argument, I'm just explaining why UTA not having a football team hasn't really hurt the school. 

Edited by Ryan Munthe

5 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

That picture tells you why they have survived without football.

• Upvote 1

TCU advanced to the NIT Semifinals in NYC with last night's win. IF UTA wins at home against Cal-State Bakersfield, they will also go to the NIT Semifinals in MSG.

Its entirely possible that these two could play each other for the NIT Championship.

Coach McCasland, welcome back to DFW...you, like SL, are inheriting a sinkhole of a program, but you have even more local teams that are very good to throw dirt down you. Good luck, coach--because you are gonna need  a train full of it to rebuild this situation.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Some days you eat the bear...some days the bear eats YOU! Too bad for UTA. The hole they dug was just too deep to climb out of, but they did mount an impressive finish.

Tip your cap to Bakersfield. They are not a terribly physical team but are very tall, extremely quick and play good defense. Everytime we touched the ball, we were double-teamed. Our normally freeflowing offense couldn't get the transition game going, which is where we generate most of our offense. This is the first time I've actually seen the team look a little intimidated or frustrated. They shot lights-out from three in the first half and our usually-mediocre outside shooting finally returned to normal and we were down 16 in the first half. We made a nice comeback at the end but it really wasn't that close most of the game. Just got outplayed by a team that is playing very good ball right now. 27 wins for us sets a season record but we are gonna lose some serious talent due to graduation...next year will be interesting to see where the offense comes from.

• Upvote 4