DRC: What does McCasland have to work with?

Brett Vito

I think that this could be the best returning roster from an 8-win team in the country.  That is, if Combs returns healthy and Frazier decides to try another year.  They have been spectacular in other years.  Combs could be a hard sell because he was a strong Benford supporter.  I don't expect Frazier back but another good year just might get him a good chance in the NBA as opposed to going overseas. 

A.J. Lawson and Ryan Wooldridge are all-conference at some level soon.  A key returner in my view is Ricky Brice.  He is an exceptional shot-blocker and rebounder.  He's even a good scorer when you look at his work.  If you average his statistics with minutes played he was comparable to the others except for Combs.  He may just need a little coaching and more opportunity to play.

I believe that there are two openings if Combs and Frazier decide to return.  Hopefully, that could include a couple of the players that GMac was recruiting for Arky State (depending of Balado).  Temara, Brown and Holston are somewhat proven Division I players (especially Temara) and I believe that with Wainwright and Simmons, McCasland just might be looking at another 20-win season.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I think that this could be the best returning roster from an 8-win team in the country.  That is, if Combs returns healthy and Frazier decides to try another year.  They have been spectacular in other years.  Combs could be a hard sell because he was a strong Benford supporter.  I don't expect Frazier back but another good year just might get him a good chance in the NBA as opposed to going overseas. 

A.J. Lawson and Ryan Wooldridge are all-conference at some level soon.  A key returner in my view is Ricky Brice.  He is an exceptional shot-blocker and rebounder.  He's even a good scorer when you look at his work.  If you average his statistics with minutes played he was comparable to the others except for Combs.  He may just need a little coaching and more opportunity to play.

I believe that there are two openings if Combs and Frazier decide to return.  Hopefully, that could include a couple of the players that GMac was recruiting for Arky State (depending of Balado).  Temara, Brown and Holston are somewhat proven Division I players (especially Temara) and I believe that with Wainwright and Simmons, McCasland just might be looking at another 20-win season.

I'll take Mizzou as the best 8 win returning roster.

Woolridge is farther away from being at an all-conference level. He has a long way to go. Lots of really good PG play in this league.

Lawson needs major improvement too.

Both should benefit a lot from the new style and staff.

I think Brice will struggle in the new style. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Brice will definitely need to figure out a way to contribute in an uptempo offense because he frequently became a non factor last season in those situations.  JBrown also struggled at times with some terrible turnovers.  He just seemed lost a lot of the time.  Hopefully McCasland can provide more clarity to the players and they can commit to their role.

I was really concerned about returnees when Jones left for LSU.  As it happened, everyone returned and it was a disaster because of a bad coach selection.  

So, I am a lot less concerned this time.   I do think the turn around will occur much faster if key players return;   

My take on players:

Combs  was a special player and hopefully can get back to form his senior year.   I prefer that is at NT.  I don't think he will be as hot a commodity to the Bigs as some think.   He is going to have to prove he is fully recovered to high level suitors.  Great Loss if healthy

Lawson can be a special player.  He can carry a ball club and can make his own shots.  He, I think will be the most sought after player on the team by rivals. 

Woolridge, a very quick pg who could solidify the position for three more years.  Made freshman mistakes, and was somewhat inconsistent.   Good coaching could make him a special player.  Has used redshirt year, so likely he will be here.  

Brice IMO had a real disappointing year.  Slimmed down and looked the part, and showed flashes.  He must have set a record for getting shoots blocked for a seven footer.  Brice either can't jump or has been conditioned to think he doesn't have to.   At his size he could transfer, and has a redshirt year.  

Holston, is a very valuable player in that he can play multiple positions and is a good defender.   Lack of offense may hurt his minutes, but I think he will be wanted on the team. 

Brown, quick but had an off season.  His outside shoot was not as good as his freshman year.   Inconsistent as a ball handler.   It will be interesting to see if he is retained. Not retained

Temara, a senior has limited changes to transfer; but I believe he could be a valuable piece on next years team.   He could be a starter next year.

Fuller, a large guy who redshirted this year because of injury.   Had a ho-hum freshman year, and may be challenged to get his ship renewed.

White-Pittman, injured first of year; could probably get a medical redshirt.  However, not sure he is going to be in the new coaches' plans.  Benford used him for his defense.  

Newcomers Wainwright and Simmons have signed letters of intent, and therefore would have to be released not to lose year of eligibility.  Simmons is 6'9 and did much better his senior year than expected.  Wainwright had a good not spectatorial juco year.  Still if he is close to his brother's ability displayed at Baylor, than he could be a real sleeper signee.  Update: I guess Wainwright didn't fit McCasland's plans.  

I think there will be turnover, maybe some of the players; McCasland wants to return.  I think McCasland will return most of the nucleus of the team.  However, NT wants to play big time mbb and I suspect there will be several players who will not get their scholarships renewed.   It is looking like maybe as few as four players will return at this point.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4