DRC commentary: The big news is UNT's commitment to basketball

Brett Vito

7 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Well, it would appear a lot of negativity around here left with that individual.    I can certainly make a good guess based on the sudden uptick in the quality of the discussions over the last week or so.

I'd disagree, quality discussions can be had on here at any time and there are more than a few posters who throw turds at the walls. Sometimes the turd chuckers hit targets some like to see hit with turd, sometimes they hit targets some don't want hit. Either way it's still poo on the walls. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

10 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I'd disagree, quality discussions can be had on here at any time and there are more than a few posters who throw turds at the walls. Sometimes the turd chuckers hit targets some like to see hit with turd, sometimes they hit targets some don't want hit. Either way it's still poo on the walls. 

We've had fewer threads locked the past week.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

We've had fewer threads locked the past week.

The popularity of any particular opinion plays a large role in that. If it's unpopular then people start hitting away with personal attacks it gets a lock pretty quick. 

I tend to think the mods are a bit lenient and don't punish both sides of a fight enough.

(Not questioning you guys, just discussing the community so no bans needed here) ?

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

35 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Well, it would appear a lot of negativity around here left with that individual.    I can certainly make a good guess based on the sudden uptick in the quality of the discussions over the last week or so.

He implied a ban as far as I know there is not one.

I couldn't be more excited about the direction the program is headed.  But there's some shoring up remaining.  I want the best for GM because he wants the best for his team and for us and will be bringing in a much better OOC schedule and will be raising the bar for the whole program..  

With this said  I hope the days of the typical errors Committed in the past are over and are corrected for good.  No more announcing that we're playing the wrong team on mgs, no more printing out the previous year's roster for games or not having enough tickets printed up the next time we host an LSU-sized school.  There's a chance GM might even bring in Baylor in the future and we can't afford to repeat such colossal mistakes like that.  I have confidence WB will assure these mistakes  never happen again..

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I couldn't be more excited about the direction the program is headed.  But there's some shoring up remaining.  I want the best for GM because he wants the best for his team and for us and will be bringing in a much better OOC schedule and will be raising the bar for the whole program..  

With this said  I hope the days of the typical errors Committed in the past are over and are corrected for good.  No more announcing that we're playing the wrong team on mgs, no more printing out the previous year's roster for games or not having enough tickets printed up the next time we host an LSU-sized school.  There's a chance GM might even bring in Baylor in the future and we can't afford to repeat such colossal mistakes like that.  I have confidence WB will assure these mistakes  never happen again..

Rick

He said Drew won't play the schools that his previous assistants are Head Coaches at.

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

When did McCasland (or Baker?) say this?

Need to win for a season or two before we start scheduling a tougher OOC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When did McCasland (or Baker?) say this?

Need to win for a season or two before we start scheduling a tougher OOC.

McCasland mentioned in the press conference that "We'll be bringing in great teams".  Plus...that's just what good coaches do.  They have the attitude of you can't be the best of you can't beat the best.  

So I expect to see us play better home OOC opponents.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

McCasland mentioned in the press conference that "We'll be bringing in great teams".  Plus...that's just what good coaches do.  They have the attitude of you can't be the best of you can't beat the best.  

Rick

Sure!
Just don't expect a super OOC schedule next season.  It's too early & our guys need to be put in opportunities to win immediately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If the ASU schedule from this season is any indication (not sure if it is or not), then there will be a mix of names you recognize and ones you don't. And some of those names aren't P5, just names you are aware of. Notably, they did beat Georgetown on the road. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/schedule/_/id/2032/arkansas-state-red-wolves

First of all, there's a LOT of room to improve our schedule without making it a record killer. Just add one quality opponent at home - ONE - next year and it would improve. For the foreseeable future, we do need to spend more time winning conference games to get a higher seeding and thus increasing our chances of winning the tournament. Make that winning conference games to GET INTO the conference tournament. 

As I've written before, we need to win more games, ANY games next year. A total turnaround would be wonderful but solid improvement would give a lot of fans hope for the future. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/16/2017 at 6:57 PM, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I have no idea with basketball, but how quickly could they set up these games?

We know football has to plan these games years in advance, but I would think its easier for basketball to get teams sooner rather than later?

20 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I have no idea with basketball, but how quickly could they set up these games?

We know football has to plan these games years in advance, but I would think its easier for basketball to get teams sooner rather than later?

Most OOC basketball games are scheduled year to year.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Hardly anyone plays a challenging home oc schedule anymore.  Expect a couple of good games a year, that's about as good as it gets these days.  It will be upgraded from the recent Benford list of supposed patsies.  Name basketball programs just like in football are almost impossible to schedule home and away with.