MGB: McCasland news items from first day

Brett Vito

33 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

I know the Pit is over 40 years old now, but I don't think you seriously look at replacing it for a while. Not while the team is bad and attendance is poor. Hopefully those things will change as quickly as next year.

SMU poured millions into revamping their old arena, when they were bad, with bad attendance.  Turned out ok for them, even if they broke some rules in the process.  I bet new coach convinces Frazier and everyone else to return and we win 20 like I said we would. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I read this the opposite way.   Spending money on the SP for necessary ADA improvements, locker rooms revisions, and cosmetic  enhancements seems to me; a signal that replacement of the SP is far away.   

I took as, WB and the school would be updating in the short-term till they decide if they will go with a new SP or if they will redo the present day SP. Maybe they upgrade and then keep it around for graduation and other things as well, if they do decide to go with a new SP. But the last line of the blog post by BV seems to make it sound like WB would like to build a new one.

This is from BV newest post (http://beta.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green-1/2017/03/14/notebook-mccasland-plans-talk-star-forward-combs-soon-plans)

“You don’t want to put tens of millions of dollars into a facility that won’t have suites or club seats,” Baker said. “We have to see if it can be renovated.”

Once UNT determines whether renovating the arena is a possibility, it will assess whether it is feasible to build a venue.

“We absolutely have to assess that and see where we with a new venue,” Baker said. “We have to assess and see if it is in the long-term plans and if we have support for it. If we have someone who has a strong desire to invest in a facility that would be a bench mark on our campus, that would expedite the process.”

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

I thought they were going to I tear down the rest of fours and move the track. They could move it there and put in another parking garage. That would also be nice for hosting a CUSA tournament with two quality courts that close. 

Another option is to build it by apogee on the other side of the dorms where they have that open land. It would look nice to have a nee arena, apogee, and indoor football facility right there. 

I could see it going across 35, but I have no idea where it could/would fit.

6 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

I have always wondered why UNT has not built more parking garages. I suppose there is some sweet spot of construction costs versus land value, or minimum parking utilization percentage threshhold, or some other thing. It seems to me that going up for parking has always made sense for some places on or around campus. Someone who knows the details, please enlighten us.

I think NS brought this up during his last State of UNT message, and said something like maintaining a Parking Garage is something like 12k per spot, while a normal parking lot is like 3k to maintain. He also talked about that the current garages weren't being filled, but that was probably has to do with the it being something like $850 for a full year parking pass to the garage by the business building, and with the loads of free parking on streets next to around UNT. I'd love to see more parking garages, but they want to move the parking edges of campus.

• Upvote 6

13 hours ago, CMJ said:

Doesn't seem to hold some of the high profile programs with ancient arenas back.

Except those arenas have been renovated and weren't cheaply built.

The ultimate problem with the Pit is that we can't add suites and it is too large. Renovations can't fix the two issues above.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Except those arenas have been renovated and weren't cheaply built.

The ultimate problem with the Pit is that we can't add suites and it is too large. Renovations can't fix the two issues above.

It might be "too large" for basketball but it works great for other events like graduations where it gets packed to the limit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Baker's comments regarding suites and club seats makes it pretty clear what we wants.  If he is going to go out and sell to businesses, he needs a place for them to entertain.  It is the same reason all the professional teams got new stadiums.  The renovations to smoo's stadium included suites/club seats.

It will be very interesting to see what they come up with.

• Upvote 5

The Super Pit isn't too large if we actually got good.

Pauley Pavilion was just renovated a few years ago - no suites (though they do have an area of semi private tables in a couple of the corners).  Cameron Indoor was renovated...again with no luxury suites.  Hinkle Fieldhouse - no suites.  Phog Allen - no suites.

I could go on.  Plenty of cathedrals of college basketball -- with recent renovations(!) have no suites.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My take is the newer arena stands are more vertical with better visuals and louder.  Super Pit as a facility is not bad.  It's just the lighting and external look that bug me.  The biggest thing is it has to be shared with University. It does need to happen but after indoor practice facility and other things more pressing.

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

My take is the newer arena stands are more vertical with better visuals and louder.  Super Pit as a facility is not bad.  It's just the lighting and external look that bug me.  The biggest thing is it has to be shared with University. It does need to happen but after indoor practice facility and other things more pressing.

Have you been in the SP since the new LED lighting was installed? Seems plenty bright to me (on the court where it matters).

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Have you been in the SP since the new LED lighting was installed? Seems plenty bright to me (on the court where it matters).

No I agree it looks much better.  The external lighting is what needs a facelift.  It is dark and not very inviting.  I have more extermal issues with that Pit than inside.

I have always like the SP.  I wish the aisles were a little wider between the seats.  I am an average sized man, roughly 6'1", and I feel cramped by the seat in front of me.  Outside of that and the stupid media row that takes up prime seating, I have always like the SP, inside and out.

Question/Suggestion: Could suites/club seating be added at the top of the seating on the sides?  This was be from Section 217-222 and from Section 204-210.  This would obviously reduce capacity, but could be an option if feasible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Two things mentioned strike me as ironic.  First, that the Coliseium is too big.  It wouldn't be too big if more people attended.  Second, when the Colisium was proposed, one of the features was that all the seating would be theater type seating up higher to see the action.  Now the trend has changed and some want bleacher seating on the court. 

And I hear bell bottom jeans are making a comeback.

Another fun fact...As most of you know the green seats were added about 15 years ago. 

The original color was (Oklahoma State) orange.  They were so colored to maximize the contrast for television technology of the day (1971).  There were many explainations given for the color such as the then University President C. C. "Jitter" Nolan was a UT alum.  Or that the architect (a man names Klutz) also was a UT grad (the other color option was beige).  Also, there are 4 different widths in the seats in the Colisium depending on how much room is available per row.  The seats were removed section at a time and shiopped to a San Antonio company to be recovered.  Cup holders were added at that time.  The seats are a bit cozy to get into and out of since they were not designed with cup holders in mind.   Even now, it hurts my feelings when I see people propping their feet on the seat in front of them or when people stand on the cushion.  We played many home games with several sections of seat simply gone. 

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have always like the SP.  I wish the aisles were a little wider between the seats.  I am an average sized man, roughly 6'1", and I feel cramped by the seat in front of me.  Outside of that and the stupid media row that takes up prime seating, I have always like the SP, inside and out.

Question/Suggestion: Could suites/club seating be added at the top of the seating on the sides?  This was be from Section 217-222 and from Section 204-210.  This would obviously reduce capacity, but could be an option if feasible.

The legroom between rows does leave something to be desired.

As for the suites, I think the higher location would be good, and not interfering with more involved fans. I don't think the school is really interested in reducing seating capacity since other uses for the SP demand more seating than MBB has needed.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Average size at 6'1"? In some countries, you would be tall enough to be in the freak show!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Agreed.

@TheWestie did you get a chance to check out the new lighting before you migrated?

Yeah dude, I only moved in September. I got to see horrible basketball in nice light all of last season.

20 hours ago, Harry said:

No I agree it looks much better.  The external lighting is what needs a facelift.  It is dark and not very inviting.  I have more extermal issues with that Pit than inside.

Lighting? Let's think basics first. Place needs a pressure washing (inside and out) and some paint. Then we can talk making it look good at night.

22 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

It might be "too large" for basketball but it works great for other events like graduations where it gets packed to the limit.

Exactly.

If they drastically reduce the capacity for the Super Pit, then it's appeal as a high school graduation facility goes away. Right now it has large capacity and amble parking close by, which is why it gets booked solid for almost a month every spring. And that is a huge chunk of revenue that the University isn't gonna give up.

20 hours ago, Harry said:

Luxury suites generate more dollars for the program so that needs to happen.   When you factor in the aged electronics and other building issues it may be better to build a new one over at Eagle Point.

Updating the electrical system in the Super Pit shouldn't be too bad. It's built as a giant shell over a block of concrete, most of the wiring is in conduit that's easy to access. Hell we were told for years that it would be too difficult and too costly to install new arena lights because they'd have to upgrade all the wiring in the catwalk area. And don't forget the line we were fed by RV for years about the superstructure of the building not being able to hold up a center court video board. 

There are a ton of things in the Super Pit that are holdovers from bygone eras that can be and should be done away with. The spotlight cages that hang down from the catwalk that have 30 year old spotlights covered in dust and trashcans with 20 year old soda cups in them, the massive stage light flying array that probably hasn't been used since Pearl Jam played in the Pit in 1993, (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/1993/university-of-north-texas-coliseum-denton-tx-23d65cf7.html Hot Damn that musta been a badass show!), the control room at the top of the seating section on the east side of the arena is full of obsolete equipment that isn't used, the decorative features of the concourse are super dated looking, the bathrooms on the concourse need a huge makeover: lots of stuff. But nothing that means the place needs to be replaced. 

We have a 10,500 seat arena that we can renovate in any number of ways. It's bigger than the Allen Events Center, Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie, Dr Pepper Arena in Frisco, The Arena at the Dallas Convention Center, Moody Coliseum at SMU (which hosts concerts), College Park Center at UTA (which hosts concerts), Music Hall at Fair Park, Schollmaier Arena (formerly Daniel–Meyer Coliseum). It's bigger than Hofheinz Arena in Houston. The only college basketball arenas in Texas that are bigger are UT, A&M and UTEP. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, TheWestie said:

Updating the electrical system in the Super Pit shouldn't be too bad. It's built as a giant shell over a block of concrete, most of the wiring is in conduit that's easy to access. Hell we were told for years that it would be too difficult and too costly to install new arena lights because they'd have to upgrade all the wiring in the catwalk area. And don't forget the line we were fed by RV for years about the superstructure of the building not being able to hold up a center court video board. 

There are a ton of things in the Super Pit that are holdovers from bygone eras that can be and should be done away with. The spotlight cages that hang down from the catwalk that have 30 year old spotlights covered in dust and trashcans with 20 year old soda cups in them, the massive stage light flying array that probably hasn't been used since Pearl Jam played in the Pit in 1993, (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pearl-jam/1993/university-of-north-texas-coliseum-denton-tx-23d65cf7.html Hot Damn that musta been a badass show!), the control room at the top of the seating section on the east side of the arena is full of obsolete equipment that isn't used, the decorative features of the concourse are super dated looking, the bathrooms on the concourse need a huge makeover: lots of stuff. But nothing that means the place needs to be replaced. 

We have a 10,500 seat arena that we can renovate in any number of ways. It's bigger than the Allen Events Center, Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie, Dr Pepper Arena in Frisco, The Arena at the Dallas Convention Center, Moody Coliseum at SMU (which hosts concerts), College Park Center at UTA (which hosts concerts), Music Hall at Fair Park, Schollmaier Arena (formerly Daniel–Meyer Coliseum). It's bigger than Hofheinz Arena in Houston. The only college basketball arenas in Texas that are bigger are UT, A&M and UTEP. 

I am beginning to get the feeling that the mustachioed man may not have been completely forthcoming with us on a few items.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, TheWestie said:

The only college basketball arenas in Texas that are bigger are UT, A&M and UTEP. 

You left out Texas Tech (15,098)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Supermarkets_Arena

and Lamar (they also have suites)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montagne_Center

and Baylor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrell_Center

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2017 at 8:09 AM, MCMLXXX said:

Ok I missed Tech. But the other two are still below us in basketball seating capacity (10,500), at 10,080 and 10,284.

So we're behind two BIG12 schools, an SEC school and a conference mate who's arena is named after their coach from WHEN THEY WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.