MGB: McCasland news items from first day

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Excited about the possibility of replacing the super pit. With new coaches and new facilities UNT athletics. Plus really take off.

I'd wonder, where would it be if/when they replace the Superpit?

Maybe across the street with it being by the Rec and PEB maybe, but no idea because of the fields and tennis courts?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I read this the opposite way.   Spending money on the SP for necessary ADA improvements, locker rooms revisions, and cosmetic  enhancements seems to me; a signal that replacement of the SP is far away.   

I guess it comes down to how long "far away" is for you. It might be on a five to 10 year plan to replace or move the team to a newer facility.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Maybe across the street with it being by the Rec and PEB maybe, but no idea because of the fields and tennis courts?

I thought they were going to I tear down the rest of fours and move the track. They could move it there and put in another parking garage. That would also be nice for hosting a CUSA tournament with two quality courts that close. 

Another option is to build it by apogee on the other side of the dorms where they have that open land. It would look nice to have a nee arena, apogee, and indoor football facility right there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I thought they were going to I tear down the rest of fours and move the track. They could move it there and put in another parking garage. That would also be nice for hosting a CUSA tournament with two quality courts that close. 

Another option is to build it by apogee on the other side of the dorms where they have that open land. It would look nice to have a nee arena, apogee, and indoor football facility right there. 

with zero parking, that would be awesome!! 

• Upvote 3

Greenminer's duh moment: our own buyout clauses give us the budget to afford the buyouts when bringing in new coaches.

I wonder how the process of a new bball venue would unfold, being that the Super Pit doesn't belong to the AD.

Stay in Denton Combs! How can you not be excited to play for a coach that wins 80% of his games AND literally just took a program to 20 wins in his first year?!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I said build a parking garage. They have plenty of space for both. The stadium would take up less place than the track and a parking garage would open up even more parking.

I have always wondered why UNT has not built more parking garages. I suppose there is some sweet spot of construction costs versus land value, or minimum parking utilization percentage threshhold, or some other thing. It seems to me that going up for parking has always made sense for some places on or around campus. Someone who knows the details, please enlighten us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

I guess it comes down to how long "far away" is for you. It might be on a five to 10 year plan to replace or move the team to a newer facility.

True, I would think at least 5 years before it is seriously considered.

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My guess, is that any athletic facilities will be build in the Village across the highway.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

True, I would think at least 5 years before it is seriously considered.

My guess, is that any athletic facilities will be build in the Village across the highway.  

If they would move the tennis courts across Bonnie Brae there would be plenty of room for an arena but they would need to look into parking. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Got shot down by the city some time ago. 

Thanks for the update. What a shame, I thought that was the highest & best use for that particular spot.

• Upvote 1

The convention center is being built at the Rayzor Ranch site, currently under construction.  

Those renovations are going to cost a minor fortune.  No way we are going to pay for them if a new SP was happening "soon."

I would assume this means the current SP sticks around for another ten years at least.