What about McCaslands Staff?

DeepGreen

It would be very rare for a new HC to retain anybody from the old staff.   Sometimes one of the operations people will be retained for some type of continuity, but not the assistant coaches. 

Look for members of his ASU coaching staff to make the move with him.   Probably not all, but one or two.  

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Mentions McCasland's assistant coaches.  If the report is true, it would make the hire all that much sweeter.  

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-31617/

It has been great with the new HC we have hired. Also just as encouraging is the Assistants they have hired with the expanded budget. GNMG  GO the NEW MEAN GREEN

As Brett's article points out, Hodge may be in play at more places than just ASU, so we still have a ways to go before we know if he will actually be here in the Fall.  However, what may happen in the short term is the appearance that Hodge is coming here so the Spring recruiting cycle can be completed and if he ends up getting a HC job then he will leave at that point.

There are a couple of guys that GM was recruiting/signed at ASU that would be nice to get.  Once is Roosevelt Smart who verbally committed to ASU, but has already announced he is reopening his recruitment.  The other is a Russian that signed in the Fall, but could redshirt if needed.  GM and staff were also in on several Juco guys that they might still need depending on the status of guys currently on our roster.  There is no doubt there will be some turnover on our roster, just hope it doesn't involve any of the core guys.

One place I have seen mentioned in connection with Hodge is Austin Peay. He would have to want a HC gig pretty bad to stand on the sideline and have a crowd behind him chanting "GO PEAY!!, GO PEAY!!".

Plus, his asst. compensation here might be just as good. They probably pay peaynuts there.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

One place I have seen mentioned in connection with Hodge is Austin Peay. He would have to want a HC gig pretty bad to stand on the sideline and have a crowd behind him chanting "GO PEAY!!, GO PEAY!!".

Plus, his asst. compensation here might be just as good. They probably pay peaynuts there.

Sounds like Hodge is also still in play at ASU.  I am afraid we better prepare for the high likelihood that Hodge does not make the trip, which is too bad because he seems like the real deal.

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

Sounds like Hodge is also still in play at ASU.  I am afraid we better prepare for the high likelihood that Hodge does not make the trip, which is too bad because he seems like the real deal.

If Hodge's goal is to become a D1 Head Coach, taking the ASU job would be great for him. He already helped turn the team around. I wonder if the comment on the REdWolf board by @Arkstfan turns out to be correct at GM is pressuring ASU to make a decision earlier than they would like. Either way, it helps Hodge. 

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If that turns out to be true, then that's a grand slam hire I never would have thought (as evidenced here) a mid-major school could pull off or afford. Moton has somewhere around 2+ million in guaranteed money left on his deal because of the length, and I didn't think even we could pull together the resources to hire him away. 

If Arkansas State actually lures him away, then they arguably just replaced their coach with an even better one, and we probably subsidized it for them. 

EDIT to add: There are rumors that he might be a shortlist candidate for NC State. Moton is a phenomenal coach, with 25+ wins three times at a HBCU school and conference. NC Central has only been a D1 school for 6 years, all of them under Moton. Only one losing season, 3 regular season championships, 2 tournament championships, 4 of those 6 years were 22 or more wins. AT AN HBCU. If Arkansas State can land him, they will be in great shape. 

5 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

If Arkansas State actually lures him away, then they arguably just replaced their coach with an even better one, and we probably subsidized it for them. 

Sir, with all due respect, I beg to differ. I prefer GM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeVelle_Moton

• Upvote 1

Just now, EagleMBA said:

Sir, with all due respect, I beg to differ. I prefer GM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeVelle_Moton

Disagree and be wrong. It's a free country. 

Also, note the inclusion of the word "arguably". You can't beg to differ, you just affirmed the sentiment. 

Come at me, bro. 

Just now, TheTastyGreek said:

Disagree and be wrong. It's a free country. 

On this we can agree, sir! It is Friday night and I need a cold Shiner. No argument to ensue.

• Upvote 2