Better hire SL or GM?

BTG_Fan1

Which is/was the better hire?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who was a better hire on the day it was announced?

• SL
    • GM

Why was this person a better hire at the time for the program?

Honestly GM sounds like a great hire, and I'm trusting in WB.. But I think SL gets the vote from me just because Football is top dog, and he seemed to have a roster that was in far worst condition than what GM is getting from TB

While I do agree that GM has what looks like a better record, with him coaching at ArkState before UNT, compared to SL with no HC experience, along with GM being an Assisant at Baylor while SL was an OC else-where, my only worry is about the lack of HC experience. While I get the JUCO and smaller schools, does that really translate to larger scale programs?

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'd prefer to revisit this after both coaches have had an opportunity to be here for at least a season. Seth Littrell has already done some good things turning the football program around. I feel McCasland can do the same thing.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Honestly GM sounds like a great hire, and I'm trusting in WB.. But I think SL gets the vote from me just because Football is top dog, and he seemed to have a roster that was in far worst condition than what GM is getting from TB

Not taking anything away from Seth, but he only led that roster to a 5-8 season. How would you compare the two if Grant McCasland took this 8-win team to a 20+ win team in 2017-18 and a deep conference tourney run?

That being said, I'm taking McCasland.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Why was this person a better hire at the time for the program?

Your statement confuses me on what your question actually is. How does the sport they coach or the condition of roster they inherit have anything to do with who is the better hire at the time of their hirings?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Your statement confuses me on what your question actually is. How does the sport they coach or the condition of roster they inherit have anything to do with who is the better hire at the time of their hirings?

What I mean is, how that coach would potentially use the players on the roster to fit how they(the new coach) wants to play..

I would assume its easier for GM to go from TBs scheme to his, than it was for SL to go from Mac/Chicos offense to the Air Raid

3 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

I'd put our football and men's basketball leadership in the very top echelon of the Group of 5. Littrell and McCasland are stars.

I'm hoping we can see them up there after next year potentially... 

I have my fingers crossed that SL and GM are holding out for dream jobs of OU and Baylor, and would be here for awhile. 

10 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

What I mean is, how that coach would potentially use the players on the roster to fit how they(the new coach) wants to play..

I would assume its easier for GM to go from TBs scheme to his, than it was for SL to go from Mac/Chicos offense to the Air Raid

So that sounds to me like a matter of who has the harder transition. Also not sure what that has to do with who the better hire is/was. I don't see how a coach could be seen as a better hire in part because they are inheriting a roster that fits their scheme less.

If the question were "who would you be more impressed to see have success early," then I could see how that would factor in. But I didn't think that was the question.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

McCasland, and it's not even close.

I liked the Littrell hire, but hiring away a currently employed and winning D1 head coach is a huge deal.  And the A.D.'s comment about his winning percentage being "eyepopping" was right on the money.  In my time, we have certainly never hired a coach in the big 2 sports who checked so many boxes.

• Upvote 5

34 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

McCasland, and it's not even close.

I liked the Littrell hire, but hiring away a currently employed and winning D1 head coach is a huge deal.  And the A.D.'s comment about his winning percentage being "eyepopping" was right on the money.  In my time, we have certainly never hired a coach in the big 2 sports who checked so many boxes.

While i get the whole winning %, he has only coached 1 year at D1.. I'm no expert, but I would think there is a major difference in terms of coaches and coaching ability between midland college and UNT. 

That is my only worry and that he had only 1 year of experience of HC at the D1 level, but he was on a Baylor for a # of years so that eases my worries some. But again I'm no expert, nor will i try to play that part. If people on the board like this hire and say its a solid hire then I believe them. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

While i get the whole winning %, he has only coached 1 year at D1.. I'm no expert, but I would think there is a major difference in terms of coaches and coaching ability between midland college and UNT. 

That is my only worry and that he had only 1 year of experience of HC at the D1 level, but he was on a Baylor for a # of years so that eases my worries some. But again I'm no expert, nor will i try to play that part. If people on the board like this hire and say its a solid hire then I believe them. 

You say this as if he's coming directly from Midland College to UNT.  That was several stops ago.  I would have been absolutely fine with hiring him directly from Midwestern State, considering how well he did there.  But his one year of head coaching at ASU absolutely proved that he is capable...the second best turnaround in the nation his first year?!?

McCasland for sure for me at this point. But like most reasonable people I reserve to change my mind if things won't go as great as hoped in either sport..

Reasons: SL had never been a head coach, that was a risk. GM has been at head coach at several levels including D1, and always successful. And that is to go with his assistant history where he also matches SL before he got hired here. The only risk here is the financial commitement. apart from that this is about as safe a hire as WB could have made.

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

You say this as if he's coming directly from Midland College to UNT.  That was several stops ago.  I would have been absolutely fine with hiring him directly from Midwestern State, considering how well he did there.  But his one year of head coaching at ASU absolutely proved that he is capable...the second best turnaround in the nation his first year?!?

I'm not expert, and i do understand that it was a long time ago, and that he is improved as a coach. But I guess this is what its like to hire a relatively young coach. I just expected someone with a longer D1 HC experience, but I do like this hire a lot.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rws69 said:

I like them both, and will not vote one over the other.

So refreshing to see so many positive posts about UNT athletics. Let's build on that.

I am with you brother.   This is one poll that I will not be voting on.   No reason to take away from either hire.    We have cleaned house and I am just thrilled with every move that has been made.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Really?  Your comment "proves himself" was right on the money.  Littrell had never been a head coach in any capacity.  There is no logical, objective basis for saying that he was a better hire on paper than McCasland.

Sure there is SL was assistant head coach at North Carolina, P5 up and comer, his entire pedigree is P5 from player until just before we hired him. 14 Years Coaching at P5 schools D1a. Seth has been in programs I been impressed by when he was there.  

McCasland was a Sunbelt Head coach for one season as his D1 experience as a head coach and 5 years D1 total experience.  

I am not trying to knock McCasland just not as impressed yet. Lets see what he can do. 

Seems like there is plenty of logic to go around. 

For the record, I cast my ballot for GM. Looking at the big picture, the whole athletics picture is now much brighter* from the AD on down to the tiddly-winks team. In less than a year, we seem to have left the outhouse and are on the path to the penthouse. It started with SL's performance, but within the constraints/spirit of this thread I give the nod to GM. JMHO.

This coming fall and winter is going to be a good time for the long-suffering faithful!

* Pluses - WB, SL, GM and Minuses - LJ, RV, TB

Edited by EagleMBA