Grant McCasland is New UNT Basketball Coach

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Does this hire keep Combs and Lawson around? Does it help the chances Frazier returns assuming he receives a medical redshirt?

Not sure this matters.  Does it help? Absolutely, but if the guys don't want to be here you wish them well and move on.  I would love to see 1. Woolridge 2. Lawson 3. Frazier 4. Combs 5. Holston/Temara depending on match ups.  Get guard heavy and Lock up on D.   I really believe this team has the talent to be a 20 win team next year.  They had it this year.  Brice better get in shape or he won't see the court with this coach.  He wants athleticism and speed at every position.  That's where the game is transitioning. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Mohajir paraphrased quote from the ASU press conference. ~ "Frankly, McCasland told me that A-State was a better job than where he is going, but needed to move for family reasons.  His dad had a stroke a couple of years back".  That sounds like a pretty sour grapes comment from Mohajir to share publicly about a supposed private conversation, if it was even said.

@Brett Vito please follow up on this supposed comment from McCasland during the press conference.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Well let's see how you fellas act when you get a coach hired away. Especially when the one hiring away is in a conference rated 10 spots beneath you and the school is rated 200 spots below you and historically draws worse.

ouch easy with the truth serum there Red Wolf :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Sounds like we're offering McCasland more than the Ark. State base salary of $350,000.

It sounded to me like AState offered $400,000 and the AD was semi-shocked at the amount UNT offered.

• Upvote 1

Just now, EagleMBA said:

It sounded to me like AState offered $400,000 and the AD was semi-shocked at the amount UNT offered.

I just got to that part. We might be putting down close to a million ($500,000 buyout and $450,000 plus, best guess) to get him to Denton, TX.

• Upvote 2

I am guessing the offer is $500k or more.

Someone asked before about the WB connection with McCasland.  It sounds like WB has a long term relationship with McCasland's agent.  It also sounds like WB has been a fan of McCasland and would have hired him if ASU had not snatched him up already. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Not sure this matters.  Does it help? Absolutely, but if the guys don't want to be here you wish them well and move on.  I would love to see 1. Woolridge 2. Lawson 3. Frazier 4. Combs 5. Holston/Temara depending on match ups.  Get guard heavy and Lock up on D.   I really believe this team has the talent to be a 20 win team next year.  They had it this year.  Brice better get in shape or he won't see the court with this coach.  He wants athleticism and speed at every position.  That's where the game is transitioning. 

It would certainly help him have a good start to his career here. Woolridge and Temara are here to stay and if Keith can get a medical red shirt he would stay. Brice and Brown love it here. Lawson and Combs are the only two I see leaving (unless GM decides some players like Pittman or Fuller aren't good fits)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I am guessing the offer is $500k or more.

Someone asked before about the WB connection with McCasland.  It sounds like WB has a long term relationship with McCasland's agent.  It also sounds like WB has been a fan of McCasland and would have hired him if ASU had not snatched him up already. 

PLUS, from the video above it is obvious that Mosely knows him pretty well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Mohajir paraphrased quote from the ASU press conference. ~ "Frankly, McCasland told me that A-State was a better job than where he is going, but needed to move for family reasons.  His dad had a stroke a couple of years back".  That sounds like a pretty sour grapes comment from Mohajir to share publicly about a supposed private conversation, if it was even said.

@Brett Vito please follow up on this supposed comment from McCasland during the press conference.  

Oh get real. Every coach says the new gig is his dream job. He will never repeat that.

22 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I just got to that part. We might be putting down close to a million ($500,000 buyout and $450,000 plus, best guess) to get him to Denton, TX.

You are low.

Significantly low.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Confused as to why their AD would reveal that McCasland "stated" that the Ark St. job was a better job.

A.) that is some petty f*cking shit to say in a press conference and you can tell by his hesitation after saying it that he had some regret in having done so.  Just a stupid thing to say/reveal

B.) That doesn't equate to the facts.  

-We are going to pay him more

-He will live quite a bit closer to his immediate family

-the CUSA is very much focused on increasing pay and quality of the coaches they are bringing in.....just look around at the recent hires in the last year

- WE are 21-18 against them historically

-They've been to the tournament once (99) and we have been three times (last was 2010) at the DI level

-In 2016.....we still averaged more than 300 people a game more than Ark St. LONG after identifying (to most people) that Benford wasn't cutting it and was in over his head

That just really rubs me the wrong way for him to even mention that little tidbit.  It reeks of insecurity and letting the little man know that he is still wanted.  I expect it from their fanboard but not from the top administrator of their AD.

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

That sounds like a pretty sour grapes comment from Mohajir to share publicly about a supposed private conversation, if it was even said.

You want to perpetuate discussion on something you think is not appropriate to discuss?

I think that's kinda contradictory, and the topic you suggest digging into is not what Vito is here for IMO.  But maybe he'll do it?

ETA: I think it is narrow logic to use one season (record/rpi) to compare the perception/heirarchy of two programs.  Just my 0.02.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

Confused as to why their AD would reveal that McCasland "stated" that the Ark St. job was a better job.

A.) that is some petty f*cking shit to say in a press conference and you can tell by his hesitation after saying it that he had some regret in having done so.  Just a stupid thing to say/reveal

-the CUSA is very much focused on increasing pay and quality of the coaches they are bringing in.....just look around at the recent hires in the last year

-They've been to the tournament once (99) and we have been three times (last was 2010) at the DI level

-In 2016.....we still averaged more than 300 people a game more than Ark St. LONG after identifying (to most people) that Benford wasn't cutting it and was in over his head

That just really rubs me the wrong way for him to even mention that little tidbit.  It wreaks of insecurity and letting the little man know that he is still wanted.  I expect it from their fanboard but not from the top administrator of their AD.

I agree, and some sort of petty, meaningless payback is in order. Let's get some revenge and send that $500,000 to them in pennies, via a Brink's truck delivery to the AD's office. What's his name? Mohajir? Reminds me of a damned sweater!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

That just really rubs me the wrong way for him to even mention that little tidbit.  It wreaks of insecurity and letting the little man know that he is still wanted.  I expect it from their fanboard but not from the top administrator of their AD.

Be rubbed the wrong way.

Terry is a badass AD. Played football at AState and in basically a half decade has made more successful football and basketball hires than most athletic directors will ever make. Took AState from the second lowest budget in FBS to the upper half of G5 while reducing the percentage of the budget coming from the school. Completely new press box built, new indoor practice facility, and getting ready to start on a new football complex, pushed season tickets past 10,000 two years in a row, signed three P5 schools to come into play along with home/homes with various AAC schools.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 11

3 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Be rubbed the wrong way.

Terry is a badass AD. Played football at AState and in basically a half decade has made more successful football and basketball hires than most athletic directors will ever make. Took AState from the second lowest budget in FBS to the upper half of G5 while reducing the percentage of the budget coming from the school. Completely new press box built, new indoor practice facility, and getting ready to start on a new football complex, pushed season tickets past 10,000 two years in a row, signed three P5 schools to come into play along with home/homes with various AAC schools.

I really don't give two shits about his hires or what facilities he has built for you guys.  I do give a shit when he makes an unprofessional statement like that to make your fanbase feel more wanted and desired.  It's not professional. But carry on about your greatness by all means.

5 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

I really don't give two shits about his hires or what facilities he has built for you guys.  I do give a shit when he makes an unprofessional statement like that to make your fanbase feel more wanted and desired.  It's not professional. But carry on about your greatness by all means.

Just listening to the AD, he sounds like the bitter ex-gf that is mad she got left for someone better... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Be rubbed the wrong way.

Agree with you about your AD. I listened to every minute of his presser and he is clearly in charge in Jonesboro and knows his business. Color me impressed!

I predict that he will find you a great coach and your program will continue on its upward trajectory. The timing is awkward because I suspect you'll hire someone who is coaching in the tournament right now. Good luck to AState.

The other posters are just having a little fun with you...no widespread disrespect here, IMO.

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

You are full of shit because you wouldn't have replied if you didn't give two shits.. Made yourself a liar with that.

His job ain't to make you happy. His job is to hire winning coaches and provide them with the resources to be successful. Worrying about the feelings of the fans of another school isn't in the job description.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 20

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

What McCasland was actually telling Terry when he said it wasn't about money was, "You can't pay me any amount of money to stay here when I have an opportunity to coach at North Texas".   

I hope Mohajir has to hire Tony Benford as his next coach.

Pure chicken sh*t comment.

You guys are shelling out a crap ton of money to hire a coach. HELL YOU HIRED A COACH AWAY FROM A DIVISION I PROGRAM and all you can do is get your panties wadded.

Act big time, fake it till you feel it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 15