Grant McCasland is New UNT Basketball Coach

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Does this hire keep Combs and Lawson around? Does it help the chances Frazier returns assuming he receives a medical redshirt?

I would think with it keeps them around more than likely. With us hiring him so quickly, I would think it allows and gives him more time to work on keeping them around. 

Also, does Mosley and Mccasland have a history, from the short time at ACU before going to Baylor?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I would think with it keeps them around more than likely. With us hiring him so quickly, I would think it allows and gives him more time to work on keeping them around. 

Also, does Mosley and Mccasland have a history, from the short time at ACU before going to Baylor?

Those (almost) 2 months they had together at ACU must have been magical.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-state/forums/4551-the-den/15453177-mccasland

My how fans turn on a coach once he decides to leave for a better job. Yes I said BETTER.

I don't get the angst.

He's leaving the ASU program a better and more attractive program than it was a year ago.

They're getting $300k or $500k or whatever it is to apply to their new coach's contract.

They ought to throw the man a ticker-tape going away parade.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

http://www.scout.com/college/arkansas-state/forums/4551-the-den/15453177-mccasland

My how fans turn on a coach once he decides to leave for a better job. Yes I said BETTER.

Well let's see how you fellas act when you get a coach hired away. Especially when the one hiring away is in a conference rated 10 spots beneath you and the school is rated 200 spots below you and historically draws worse.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

13 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't know what happened the last eight games but it wasn't the team that had gone 18-6 at that point, Struggled to score played generally lousy defense.

If you've hired the guy who coached the first 24 games of the season you guys are going to completely love him. They guy who went 2-6 down the stretch and cancelled a meeting with boosters the last home stand, he's not so good.

AState release makes mention of a family issue so maybe being back home cures whatever went wrong.

Ya'll are going to like him a lot.

Make sure the check clears, we sort of enjoy this business of making a profit on our coaching hires. Someone mentioned Brady, last AD hired him.

from the sound this deal was in making for a while now. might have played part in the struggles late in the season

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

I don't know what happened the last eight games but it wasn't the team that had gone 18-6 at that point, Struggled to score played generally lousy defense.

If you've hired the guy who coached the first 24 games of the season you guys are going to completely love him. They guy who went 2-6 down the stretch and cancelled a meeting with boosters the last home stand, he's not so good.

AState release makes mention of a family issue so maybe being back home cures whatever went wrong.

Ya'll are going to like him a lot.

Make sure the check clears, we sort of enjoy this business of making a profit on our coaching hires. Someone mentioned Brady, last AD hired him.

I thought this was interesting, @Arkstfan:

• Upvote 4

From AState press conference.

Before anything about UNT came up, AState offered McCasland more money and an extension.

Recently went to the AD stating there were family issues and obligations creating a problem.

Friday said was talking to UNT. Wren called AState on Friday.

Today was made an offer and accepted.

McCasland told AD this 100% a family issue.

AState made no counter offer "We took him at his word that this wasn't about money"

McCasland did meet with the team.

Asked who reached out to who, AD said "I'll never know"

AD says only surprise he had in the process was the size of the UNT offer

Understand he will be second highest paid coach in the league.

Several of our candidates are coaching or assistants in the NCAA Tournament.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Before anything about UNT came up, AState offered McCasland more money and an extension.

Recently went to the AD stating there were family issues and obligations creating a problem.

Friday said was talking to UNT.

Today was made an offer and expected.

That's also why Karen Aston said she came to UNT . . . To be close to her family in Little Rock.  Then she moved to Austin a year later.

• Upvote 3

Did anyone foresee the day when UNT would be money whipping the major sports?  Finally we seem to be acting like sports are important and at a level commensurate with a 38k student university.

Lots of disbelief that UNT would have ever paid the buyout in that 95.3 interview above.

#NewDenton indeed.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Did anyone foresee the day when UNT would be money whipping the major sports?  Finally we seem to be acting like sports are important and at a level commensurate with a 38k student university.

Lots of disbelief that UNT would have ever paid the buyout in that 95.3 interview above.

#NewDenton indeed.

I had no doubt he would be willing to come, I mean he bailed Abilene after two months. He seems to have a real comfort zone. I just never expected UNT would cut a half million check just for the right to enter into a contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Friday said was talking to UNT. Wren called AState on Friday.

Today was made an offer and accepted.

AState made no counter offer "We took him at his word that this wasn't about money"

McCasland did meet with the team.

Asked who reached out to who, AD said "I'll never know"

AD says only surprise he had in the process was the size of the UNT offer

Understand he will be second highest paid coach in the league.

Several of our candidates are coaching or assistants in the NCAA Tournament.

What are the top salaries in CUSA now?  I think Floyd is currently the highest at roughly $600k, but not 100% sure.  Not sure who would be next, before this new deal is announced.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

What are the top salaries in CUSA now?  I think Floyd is currently the highest at roughly $600k, but not 100% sure.  Not sure who would be next, before this new deal is announced.

I did a quick online search concurrently with you posting this. The best data I came up with was a listing Harry put together around 2014 - 2015. Maybe he can post that until it gets updated. I was surprised that there were several coaches above Benford, some in the $500 - 600K range.

BTW, looks like I'll be breaking my self-imposed exile from the SuperPit!

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This was the hire I really wanted but didn't think would happen with the buyout to ASU.  I think President Smatresk, Wren Baker, Brint Ryan and the BOR deserve a pat on the back for maybe turning the corner and treating our athletics like a big school should.  Understanding what a heavily attended* Apogee 6 times a year, a bowl game and a heavily attended* Super Pit mean for the school as a whole is a breath of fresh air.  I also appreciate how Baker operates, with candidates ready to roll when a change is needed.  Exciting times in Denton folks.  A successful basketball team will also benefit Coach Littrell on those recruiting weekends when they wouldn't dare take them to see Benford ball.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This was the hire I really wanted but didn't think would happen with the buyout to ASU.  I think President Smatresk, Wren Baker, Brint Ryan and the BOR deserve a pat on the back for maybe turning the corner and treating our athletics like a big school should.  Understanding what a heavily attended* Apogee 6 times a year, a bowl game and a heavily attended* Super Pit mean for the school as a whole is a breath of fresh air.  I also appreciate how Baker operates, with candidates ready to roll when a change is needed.  Exciting times in Denton folks.  A successful basketball team will also benefit Coach Littrell on those recruiting weekends when they wouldn't dare take them to see Benford ball.

A question I would like to see people talk about is:

Which hire do we think is/was better? SL or GM at the time of the hiring?

Just now, BTG_Fan1 said:

A question I would like to see people talk about is:

Which hire do we think is/was better? SL or GM at the time of the hiring?

Worth its own thread, but I would go with McCasland just on the fact that he has been a successful head coach in the past where SL didn't have any head coaching experience.

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Worth its own thread, but I would go with McCasland just on the fact that he has been a successful head coach in the past where SL didn't have any head coaching experience.

I'll start one up, would love to hear about why and get more insight into the B-Ball side of coaching as well